The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove Frost From Liset "windscreen".

Kainosh

Nah but guys. It's not cold in space. I don't know why NASA hasn't invented a shorts, t-shirt and flip flops space suit yet, with a pair of sunnies to complete the look. 

radiation and preasure reasons. heat needs something to transmit through, and in space ther is nothing so your heat has nowhere to go

People keep saying it's cold or it's hot in space...

It is nothing. There is no temperature without matter. Technically, because there is no matter, there is no heat, so it could be described as cold, but inversely, there is no heat dissipation, so any object in a high vacuum will maintain its temperature.

An entity like the Liset will presumably have some sort of void-reactor technology generating energy. If energy is being generated constantly, the Liset will gradually get incredibly hot, since the heat cannot be dissipated.

It is nothing. There is no temperature without matter. Technically, because there is no matter, there is no heat, so it could be described as cold, but inversely, there is no heat dissipation, so any object in a high vacuum will maintain its temperature.

An entity like the Liset will presumably have some sort of void-reactor technology generating energy. If energy is being generated constantly, the Liset will gradually get incredibly hot, since the heat cannot be dissipated.

There are three ways heat can transfer. It can transfer through conduction, convection, and radiation. In the vacuum of space, heat can't transfer by conduction or convection, but heat can still radiate away from the Liset. Radiating does not require a physical medium (solid/liquid/gas) to transfer heat. That's how the energy radiating off our sun gets to Earth. In other words, the Liset should not become incredibly hot if Ordis is managing it properly.

the liset clearly leaves trails of exausts so it would be safe to assume that it dissipates heat throught it, besides heat gets also irradiated and doesn't need a matter medium in all cases (like the sun for example)

You are wrong sir. Heat transfer in space is mostly by radiation, but Space is not a true vacuum and tiny amounts of  conduction or convection do happen out there. 

Implying logic pertains to this argument when the Liset orbiter is hidden in the void.

That being said, the stuff there might not be ice, considering all the stuff our liset flies though. Maybe we should get ordis to order some windscreen wipers or something, I mean, there was the christmas decorations inside, which had like snow or some powder like it. Haven't ever noticed the ice before though.

Also, if we suppose water did get on the front of the liset, if you were flying up high, there's a chance the condensate could freeze before you reached space, which would make it much more hardy and inclined not to fall off.

... so any object in a high vacuum will maintain its temperature.

You are wrong sir. Heat transfer in space is mostly by radiation, but Space is not a true vacuum and tiny amounts of  conduction or convection do happen out there. 

Space is not a true vacuum, hence I referred to it as a "high vacuum". The convection and conduction are minimal, and while radiation will happen, it is not particularly fast.

Yes, Ordis could be running some heat dissipation systems to maintain the Liset temperature, but those would not be in the front of the ship.

For everyone going on about how wrong I am, I have just spent the last four months constructing a vacuum chamber, and having to deal with heating issues on a stepper motor in the middle of the assembly. I assume that most people here don't want to read 4000 words on all the possible solutions and explanations in a game not known for its accuracy, and so I dumbed things down a notch.

There are three ways heat can transfer. It can transfer through conduction, convection, and radiation. In the vacuum of space, heat can't transfer by conduction or convection, but heat can still radiate away from the Liset. Radiating does not require a physical medium (solid/liquid/gas) to transfer heat. That's how the energy radiating off our sun gets to Earth. In other words, the Liset should not become incredibly hot if Ordis is managing it properly.

Thanks for being constructive and adding to my brief comment. We have yet to find an explanation for the frost on the windshield though. Just Tenno'd

Edited by Kthal