Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Simple Way To Increase Build Diversity Is To Improve Useless Mods

Luther848

Mods that are completely useless like Rifle Applitude which only increases status by a mere 15% and is a D polarity (serioulsly even with a 25% status chance it only raises it to 28.75%) should be looked at. I believe that the best way to improve build diversity is to have many mods that each preform a function and is not overshadowed by a far superior mod.Who would ever use Rifle Apptitude over a Dual Stat Mod which even unranked gives 15% status as well as 15% elemental damage. At the very least bring it up to 60% or change it's mechanics so that it adds a total of 15 points to status. 

Another thing that bugs me is channeling mods for Melee. There are currently no channel based Melee and even if there were most channeling mods are trash anyways (excluding unranked Life Strike {-140% channeling effiency at max rank is ridiculous} and maybe Corrupt Charge if you really want extra channeling damage). Mods that have very little gains for a high cost limit build diversity because why use True Punishment for +40% Crit Chance when it only applies to channeling and increases the channeling cost while an Elemental or even I.P.S (+90% Slash damage on a Galantine is pretty great and you can increase it even more with Buzz Kill to get 210% bonus slash) damage mod is way better especially for melee and doesn't require channeling. I personally believe that cutting the channeling effiency cost by 1/2 or even 1/4 and releasing channeling based weapons that have high channel damage and low channel cost would encourage channel builds. And for god's sake would you please remove the double dash polarity from True Punishment and Enduring Strike there is literally no reason for this polarity to be used for melee. 

Lastly remove the D polarity from all weapons or add interesting and usefull D polarity mods. Can you really justify making 3 element mods a dash polarity while making cold a D polarity. 

Hopefully DE will remove the damage side of those dual stat mods, when they fix/change/rework the mod system.

Along with those damage mods that are always first "choice".

hold up there buddy let's not go crazy I mean what's the point of 4 identical status mods.

Excellent post.

Why arent there any channeling weapons? There really should be a class of weapon with excellent channeling stats. It would definitely make melee runs more enticing.

It feels like channeling is a forgotten feature, there doesnt seem to be much support for it at all.

I also think that all they need to do is buff or combine weaker less desirable mods to make them compete. Why not have several different serration mods with utility sub stats built in? For example you could have regular 165% damage or a serration with +150% damage and +ammo capacity (ammo drum).

There is much they can do with the current system without a huge overhaul. I dont know how hard it is to implement mods in this game, but it seems like all they need is a little creativity.

dedicated Status Mods being +100% makes them useful.

a flat Status increase would be useful for low Status Weapons... but those are purpose balanced with low Status, and we have Augments that are intended to remove that negative facet.

probably best off with percentages like the rest, less problematic.

and yes ofcourse, Killing Blow, Life Strike, and sometimes Corrupt Charge are the only Channeling Mods worth using.

even the Efficiency Mods aren't worth using. because you still must retain your Damage while adding Channeling Mods.

Melee Weapons with different Channeling Stats certainly would help, as well as making the useless Channeling Mods far better.

if you're going to be forced to use Energy and be in a certain mode for a Stat Bonus, why is it a terrible, small one? why isn't it a larger one than the dedicated Mod.

Edit:

Why not have several different serration mods with utility sub stats built in? For example you could have regular 165% damage or a serration with +150% damage and +ammo capacity (ammo drum).

while i always approve of having Mods that give real choices like that, the example version there that gives Ammo would be superior in every possible way to the standard Serration then.

losing '15% Damage' is a ~5.76% loss in actual Damage per shot. basically, you lose nothing.

if it was +120% or +105% instead, then that could be an interesting choice.

Edited by taiiat

Hopefully DE will remove the damage side of those dual stat mods, when they fix/change/rework the mod system.

Along with those damage mods that are always first "choice".

I dont think there is anything wrong with damage mods. We just need more variations. Adding damage is an important aspect of modding. I like having a direct impact on how much damage a weapon can do, we just need creative ways to make those choices. I dont think a modding system based on pure utility is all that engaging or fun

dedicated Status Mods being +100% makes them useful.

a flat Status increase would be useful for low Status Weapons... but those are purpose balanced with low Status, and we have Augments that are intended to remove that negative facet.

probably best off with percentages like the rest, less problematic.

and yes ofcourse, Killing Blow, Life Strike, and sometimes Corrupt Charge are the only Channeling Mods worth using.

even the Efficiency Mods aren't worth using. because you still must retain your Damage while adding Channeling Mods.

Melee Weapons with different Channeling Stats certainly would help, as well as making the useless Channeling Mods far better.

if you're going to be forced to use Energy and be in a certain mode for a Stat Bonus, why is it a terrible, small one? why isn't it a larger one than the dedicated Mod.

Edit:

while i always approve of having Mods that give real choices like that, the example version there that gives Ammo would be superior in every possible way to the standard Serration then.

losing '15% Damage' is a ~5.76% loss in actual Damage per shot. basically, you lose nothing.

if it was +120% or +105% instead, then that could be an interesting choice.

a channeling weapon should be able to easily compete with the best primary when channeling.

hold up there buddy let's not go crazy I mean what's the point of 4 identical status mods.

Whats the point of keeping those mods as they are, if they are obvious damage mods, that will become (or are already) mandatory mods.

Element damage is very very useful nowadays, not changing this, is keeping the broken mod system as it is.

I say remove the damage side of it, keep the stuns and stagger animations, they become good mods to make the enemies enter "im on fire" panic animation, to freeze them, make them shoot one another (radiation), etc, its some few seconds that the enemy is not fighting back at u, and u can finish him.

Or some whatever other solution that would make them equally useful but not as important as they currently are.

I dont think there is anything wrong with damage mods. We just need more variations. Adding damage is an important aspect of modding. I like having a direct impact on how much damage a weapon can do, we just need creative ways to make those choices. I dont think a modding system based on pure utility is all that engaging or fun

Cause if you can add damage, u will fit all and only damage mods, stuff like reload, zoom, reduce recoil, reduce noise, will never be as worth as any damage mod, making mandatory mods still mandatory.

The idea is to make all mods equally worth and desirable to play with.

Edited by 7grims

Whats the point of keeping those mods as they are, if they are obvious damage mods, that will become (or are already) mandatory mods.

Element damage is very very useful nowadays, not changing this, is keeping the broken mod system as it is.

I say remove the damage side of it, keep the stuns and stagger animations, they become good mods to make the enemies enter "im on fire" panic animation, to freeze them, make them shoot one another (radiation), etc, its some few seconds that the enemy is not fighting back at u, and u can finish him.

Or some whatever other solution that would make them equally useful but not as important as they currently are.

So you want mods that increase the chances of a certain proc occuring?

-snip-

having no Damage Mods reduces Customization and Playstyle choices just as much as having too much Damage does.

making Damage and non-Damage options competitive with each other is the only way to have customization.

if you remove something because you don't like that it's the most tempting option, then you'll be complaining 30 minutes later that what sounded like a good idea 30 minutes ago, now... you either have no choices left and everything that you can Equip, you always do, or the thing that sounded like an interesting choice is now just mandatory like something else was.

if you don't have competitive choices, you don't have choice.

DMNqZ5i.gif

So true. There are, unfortunately, a lot of crap mods in Warframe. Also, the vast majority of weapon mods are +damage mods, be they pure +damage, +elemental, crit chance/crit damage, multishot, mixed +damage/+status, or fire rate mods.

DE is free to make their changes to the weapon mod system. I'm not worried. However, if the result of those changes is that weapons deal significantly less damage while higher-level enemies remain just as bullet-spongy as they are now, I'll be moving on.

Edited by Kastorius

having no Damage Mods reduces Customization and Playstyle choices just as much as having too much Damage does.

making Damage and non-Damage options competitive with each other is the only way to have customization.

if you remove something because you don't like that it's the most tempting option, then you'll be complaining 30 minutes later that what sounded like a good idea 30 minutes ago, now... you either have no choices left and everything that you can Equip, you always do, or the thing that sounded like an interesting choice is now just mandatory like something else was.

if you don't have competitive choices, you don't have choice.

I cannot disagree with you, you describe it in a proper manner.

Nerfing the damage side of those mods will have to be huge, almost as removing it, otherwise they pretty much stay the same, with the same issues.

Edited by 7grims