Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Melee Weapon Type (Art Included) Red Pineapple

LAWD

Hey ever wondered what you could get when you mix a whip and a blade together? Well here ya go!

DSC01705.jpg

Welcome puns! (Red Pineapple Head)

So we've had these sevral ideas of traditional Japanese swords, in the form in the Nikana series, to some degree the Skana, Orthos blades, Ninkondi and even the Paris bow. They have this traditional look to them. So i thought back of an old anime, now cancelled just cause it failed in character development, and saw this famous blade and even researched it online. It's an actual thing so no copyright issues whatsoever. I could say the blade is actually a heavy blade much like the Galatine or Gram, but much more flexible and faster.

Madokas_whipsword.jpg

The Blade will deal mainly Puncture damage and a bit of slash and impact.

The Hilts on the right side are either customization or just the one DE would seem most comfortable with for a space-ninja game.

The Mechanics behind this blade could be that holding B would unleash it to it's whip form and thus attack the enemy. But that would prove difficult and very limited when you try reach an enemy from afar. So having these combinations of short and longe range attacks in a new Stance would be really cool to utilise the stretching power as opposed to it using just it's regular form with lets say "Tempo Royale". It would function much like the Galatine with that stance, and only getting to use the stretch power when pressing down B to attack an enemy from far. The status chance of the blade is pretty high as the segments each have blades protruding that cause the puncture proc.

The Stance name is still ponderous but how about Howling Snake/Baboon King (No puns intended). It would have new game-play style to it such that it would make one focus on using it at long range as opposed to coming up close. I don't have combo names or certain steps it would take for it to do certain skills, but here's what i got:

Using the blade from lets say 5m (modded with range (yes for once that mod will be used)) and attack the enemy and possibly bring the enemy to you just like Ripline, staggered ofcourse, the hook at the end of the blade acts like a scythe to some degree. Aiming at a wall or terrain, and unleashing the blade forward with the stretch will cause it to ricochet off the surface and on the other terrains much like the Glaive bouncing off surfaces. The Segments will deal damage over time to enemies caught up in its path and proc puncture damage.

Using the blade in a slide attack will cause it to release and stretch all around you as if you are unwinding it. It will move in circular motion with you.

I could have more to say to the stance and combos but that'll be upto DE. The name of the blade could be debated, but im going for BaboonKing's blade. (not lorey enough)

Hope ya'll love the design and support the idea. Enjoy!

Edited by LAWD

Ok renji let's get DE possibly sued, so we can't have warframe shut down, seriously though copying a weapon isn't a good idea, sure it would be fun, but possibly really bad for DE

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MxTNsE5IL._SL1112_.jpg i did mention it's an actual thing and no copyright issues would be involved

Edited by LAWD

There are plenty examples of whip-swords, but you outright copy possibly the most well known example...

That one in your picture, no, that will never happen. Other styles, maybe.

hahaha i fell too much into the design and felt as though it looked right. But we shouldn't only be basing this on the design but the mechanics

Edited by LAWD

Looks better than the fan whip scissor sword thing we're getting. No offense, all the infested fan stuff, and even the official stuff, looks like gross junk.

If people are going to get their panties in a bunch over the whip aspect, then just remove it and it still makes for a sick Macuahuitl type weapon.

Edited by DarkTails

Oh my god, did anyone realise that Warframe has guns? America better sue Warframe, because guns belong to America!

There are thousands of ways you can make and style a whip sword for Warframe, which have THOUSANDS of precedent examples in media. You have to be pretty damn specific to actually  be at risk of being sued. Using very basic concepts which were inspired by other sources are practically impossible to sue for (unless you are Apple)

All of our whips are practically whip swords anyway, they retract into one solid unit. They only extend when you swing them, so the only difference would be that a proper whip sword would need non-extended strikes in the combos

As sick as I am of slashing weapons, I'd imagine a sword whip would deal entirely slash damage and nothing else. But I agree with Xarteros above me, the ones we have now basically seem to work like a sword whip would work other than the non-extended attack idea mentioned.

Edited by Ceryk

All of our whips are practically whip swords anyway, they retract into one solid unit. They only extend when you swing them, so the only difference would be that a proper whip sword would need non-extended strikes in the combos

Actually true, i never did realise that but nobody uses whips much in games, im guilty as charged.

Oh my god, did anyone realise that Warframe has guns? America better sue Warframe, because guns belong to America!

There are thousands of ways you can make and style a whip sword for Warframe, which have THOUSANDS of precedent examples in media. You have to be pretty damn specific to actually  be at risk of being sued. Using very basic concepts which were inspired by other sources are practically impossible to sue for (unless you are Apple)

Well......idk what to say, i tried making it look different, by adding a sharp hook at the edge and making it seem like a scythe-blade as well

There are thousands of ways you can make and style a whip sword for Warframe, which have THOUSANDS of precedent examples in media. You have to be pretty damn specific to actually be at risk of being sued. Using very basic concepts which were inspired by other sources are practically impossible to sue for (unless you are Apple)

Look up bleach zabimaru and you will understand possible copyright problems with that design of sword

Also the picture of chick holding it looks really similar to somone from deadman wonderland

Edited by (XB1)Master4733

Look up bleach zabimaru and you will understand possible copyright problems with that design of sword

Also the picture of chick holding it looks really similar to somone from deadman wonderland

it is i took for reference

Ok renji let's get DE possibly sued, so we can't have warframe shut down, seriously though copying a weapon isn't a good idea, sure it would be fun, but possibly really bad for DE

I highly doubt they will get sued for it because that sword concept has been done loads of time, and as if they're going to directly copy other's design. Same concept, but different design.  Otherwise the gunblade would have already caused an issue. 

• 3 months later...

Well, isn't difficult to see from where you got this concept for the weapon, it's Zabimaru (the names you give to the instances and the sword itself confirm it), not that is a bad thing, I already imagined how would feel to have this sword on game, but is highly unlikely to happen because of the "anime-ish" concept and functionality of the sword (oddly enough, I could say that the recently released Lacera resembles Matoi Ryuko's Scissor Blade (Kill la Kill), so the anime-ish thing maybe isn't a issue to the DE guys). About the sue issue, I have great doubts that this can happen ("Whipblade" weapons aren't a novelty in japan, so the concept doesn't have copyrights)

Well, if they sue warframe there going to have too sue soul caliber, and dungeon fighters online

There are other games with whip swords this is just fine just change the look.

I would like a weapon like this, yes, it's from SoulCalibur/Bleach/Tenjou Tenge & maybe others, it's not as if this game does not already copy a tun of other stuff, it already copied X-Men, SoulCalibur & Final Fantasy to name a few, they should make 1, doesn't have to be an exact replica, the FF copy gunblade was not a replica just somewhat similar if you know what I mean.

It still has a possibility of it happening which is why I don't like the idea personally, it would be fun to have though

I think I'm going to sue DE for their use of plasma swords, of which I've created many of. And normal swords, too. And armor, as a general concept.

Whip swords? Yes.

Zabimaru in Warframe? Nah G... they ain't ready for it.

We in the future though lol

But all copyright issues aside, I wanted this weapon to look Tenno design, you know. So traditional was the best way to it as it also serves lore to warframe, just like the nikana and dragon nikana. They are basically katana weapons

Edited by LAWD

I find it funny that most of this discussion is on copyright, but the weapon itsself is not a copyright item. Really, you wouldn't really have a case for a lawsuit unless you directly lift the model and name from any of the given games/series/etc. that feature such a weapon.

...on a more interesting note, I'm kind of envisioning a "heavy whip," which could be interesting... I like the whip move set, with its wide arcs and multi-hits making it low-effort for ease of use - a slower, harder-hitting whip could be interesting.

...on a more interesting note, I'm kind of envisioning a "heavy whip," which could be interesting... I like the whip move set, with its wide arcs and multi-hits making it low-effort for ease of use - a slower, harder-hitting whip could be interesting.

Finally we on to what I wanted discuss, and the other thing of it been usable intense 2 different modes would make it q new viable experience. This could be the slow-ranged hard hitting weapon. The stances, probably 2, one for the slow hard hitters and the othery for the quick, spin and agile. But I'd rather stick it in between, let people decide what stance suits them.

Although with charge attacks back, idk how the activation of the whip would be now. Maybe they could figure something out with the trigger buttons and all.

Edited by LAWD