Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Who Else Won't Be Able To Make Skins For The Workshop?

AdunSaveMe

Congratulations. You have made exactly zero arguments. Anything else?

Only fun now. And remember to never trust people on internet like me and always believing big companies like Valve. They will never trick you :^)

Edited by Koler.

Out of curiosity, why do you seem to hate steam so much?

Because Valve is a company and all companies are bad. Or something like that.

Calling it now.

I did. You showed me who is the boss in the internet. I will go cry in the corner now. :^) 

Don't forget the bucket.

Okay okay, look, I didn't mean to start an argument here. I was just wondering out of curiosity. And as far as I'm aware Valve takes approximately 30% cut depending on the studio and there NDA, which while could be considered high, is not too bad considering the cost of hosting servers and storing all those games, and would definitely be less than any physical store cuts.

So anyway, if you were to make a skin, what would it be?

I'd make one for the vectis, kinda like a smooth flowing prisma-like skin to show off the curves. 

I'm more interested in the Syandana to be honest. Skins are okay, but I kinda want something a little more.

Edited by D20

Okay okay, look, I didn't mean to start an argument here. I was just wondering out of curiosity. And as far as I'm aware Valve takes approximately 30% cut depending on the studio and there NDA, which while could be considered high, is not too bad considering the cost of hosting servers and storing all those games, and would definitely be less than any physical store cuts.

You are right. But if we look at companies like Activision and stuff. Let's take for example Call of Duty. Everytime someone buys CoD from steam, Valve gets like 50% of the money and Activision gets 50%. WHILE the indie games (little games done by independent developers) only 40-30% of the money. Because they are not huge companies with big choice to protect their rights and products. See I'm not trying to argue here.

Edited by D20

So anyway, if you were to make a skin, what would it be?

I'd make one for the vectis, kinda like a smooth flowing prisma-like skin to show off the curves. 

It drives me nutts when weapons with multiple barrels have more shots than barrels. Vaykor Hek is top of my list right now. I'd probably make something for that with one barrel, or eight barrels! Probably one barrel due to reload animation.

Mios looks like a weapon I'm going to like, but I'm not usually a fan of the infestedy look so that'd be #2 on my list. Something plain, like a big, simple sword and chain. A gladius with an oversize blade maybe.

Still, you should realize that you are using another property built up to sell your product. The only reason you are making money for the skin is because Valve put the time and effort to create a dominant distribution engine everyone looks at with a workshop that actually let's a massive audience see your creation and support it. Even though you made the content, the company is the one who made the game popular enough that people would be interested in your content, and Valve themselves essentially advertises it by letting the workshop show your work to the community, gain support, and have a direct line to [DE]. If it wasn't for Valve, you'd likely never even get the chance to produce the custom content and be monetarily compensated for it. So getting that small percent is immediately better than none.

Edited by D20

Still, you should realize that you are using another property built up to sell your product. The only reason you are making money for the skin is because Valve put the time and effort to create a dominant distribution engine everyone looks at with a workshop that actually let's a massive audience see your creation and support it. Even though you made the content, the company is the one who made the game popular enough that people would be interested in your content, and Valve themselves essentially advertises it by letting the workshop show your work to the community, gain support, and have a direct line to [DE]. If it wasn't for Valve, you'd likely never even get the chance to produce the custom content and be monetarily compensated for it. So getting that small percent is immediately better than none.

And I'm pretty sure it's how most publishers work. If you don't have a publisher, the money is all yours.

You are right. But if we look at companies like Activision and stuff. Let's take for example Call of Duty. Everytime someone buys CoD from steam, Valve gets like 50% of the money and Activision gets 50%. WHILE the indie games (little games done by independent developers) only 40-30% of the money. Because they are not huge companies with big choice to protect their rights and products. See I'm not trying to argue here.

Well that's not entirely true, some NDA's are tiered by sales. They might start out as a 50/50 profit cut, but after a game makes 100k sales it might drop to 40% to valve/60% to dev, then at 500k it might drop to 30% to valve/70% to devs, and then stay there.

To be honest, there's no concrete way to know exactly what each developer gets because the NDA's are all different between studio to studio. But if valve was ripping off indies so much there wouldn't be so many on steam.

It's done that way because it means valve recovers all the long term costs associated with hosting and serving the IPs, including any related to workshop and forums that valve hosts.

Edited by D20

You are absolutely right! I'm being honest. If you look at my last post you will see how I'm telling almost same thing. Steam is dominating market because except origin there is no others game distributors. And Origins belong to EA and selling only EA games. So Steam is only one left. It's up to devs to decide. Either we give our part of money to Valve and get our game sold. OR our game get hacked by pirates and our servers flooded with cheaters and we lose tremendous amount of money. THAT'S WHY Valve can put any price they want. They are dominating left and right on game market. But as you said, there is some rules to moderate how high Valve prices and commision gets. That's why game industry still alive. 

Edited by Koler.

You are absolutely right! I'm being honest. If you look at my last post you will see how I'm telling almost same thing.

-snip-

That's a little over the top. I mean sure steam is the leading platform. But Origin isn't it's only competitor there's also GOG and many others. And piracy will always be there, regardless of how good a service is.

That's a little over the top. I mean sure steam is the leading platform. But Origin isn't it's only competitor there's also GOG and many others. And piracy will always be there, regardless of how good a service is.

GOG is not even close to being competetive to Steam. Selling singleplayer and old multiplayer games for 1$-5$ won't make you rich. GOG is like 24/7/365 steam summer sale. You buy those games and never play them. Also trust me, before steam the piracy in gaming was way worse. Yes it still high.

GOG is not even close to being competetive to Steam. Selling singleplayer and old multiplayer games for 1$-5$ won't make you rich. GOG is like 24/7/365 steam summer sale. You buy those games and never play them. Also trust me, before steam the piracy in gaming was way worse. Yes it still high.

It's not really about being rich though. It's about the size of the brand. Even amazon is pushing it's way into the digital distribution market, and it's definitely bigger than steam (although that's due to it's other departments). If a developer can get a better deal elsewhere they will. Being a big name like steam wont always net you all the developers, there's gotta be something in it for them too. Also the main reason why piracy was so big a short while ago was due to the ease of pirating games, and the times when there were those "one time activation passes" a lot of companies had, which was the publishers way of trying to kill the used game market, and make extra money off people buying second hand games.

Like most things in life, it's not that hard to make stuff, assuming you have all the tools and people readily available to teach you how to use them. There's nothing more destructive to the creative process than stopping every 5 minutes, just to waste 5 hours searching for a specific tutorial.

Give it a shot when you can.

Like most things in life, it's not that hard to make stuff, assuming you have all the tools and people readily available to teach you how to use them. There's nothing more destructive to the creative process than stopping every 5 minutes, just to waste 5 hours searching for a specific tutorial.

Give it a shot when you can.

How would you go about it then? I would love to make a infested moth wing syandana.