Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Accidental Platinum Spending

Shockwave-

I haven't been playing this game long, but after talking with my friends who I started playing with one common thing I noticed is they have all, at least once, "spent" platimun they didn't want. Mostly on hurrying an item by mistake or buying a weapon slot by mistake when claiming a weapon.

The reason seems to be simple. DE designed it this way. I've designed software for corporations and the usual mantra is to reduce clicks. The less clicks the better. However DE has inserted an unnecessary click on the foundry when claiming an item. They pop a box that says "The item has been added to your inventory" and the player is required to click "ok".

It is this "warning box" that tricks players into clicking the platnum buy boxes. So if you click a weapon and the box pops up to buy a weapon slot, you click the button, and oops. Or if you accidentally hurry something you click ok because you know it's coming. It has lost its "warning" effect.

I like the game, and bought some plat to support DE, early on but I have refrained from having my wife buy any and my buddies have held back as well because nobody wants to spend money accidentally (and plat=$).

DE should remove the extranous non-warning warning boxes so that when something pops up it acutally is a warning. non-warning warning boxes are bad design for the user.

apparently that takes so much time, if you check, lots of complains here are because people fail at reading, its sad to see people found such a hassle to spend 2s-5s reading description/notes and then they just decide to complain

Edited by salubri

The message pops up because it's the players fault for weather or not they choose to spend the plat or not. an accidental purchase would be if the message wouldn't pop up, it only takes less than 5 seconds to read the box and make sure you want to spend the plat on either rushing a wep, frame, etc. So the term "Accidental" doesn't really exist. 

It's not DE fault, it's yours for not reading a simple message. I literally stopped reading your little rant when you started saying "DE designed it this way and the *Insert unimportant software designer excuse*

Edited by KJRenz

I don't know what it's like on pc, but on ps4, it asks password , then shows credit card info before actually purchasing anything. So on Ps4, it is really difficult to accidentally buy plat

It's not about accidentally buying platinum from store, it's about accidentally rushing an item in foundry mostly.

And yes, it's an issue. Yes, the player can prevent it by reading every single pop up he gets, but let's be honest you don't read it every time you get it. When I claim a weapon from my foundry I expect a " buy slot" pop up, and also a "yay you claimed it" on everything. But when I have 10 things to claim I don't always notice that one has 30 seconds left. And rushing when things have even one second left is still full cost, so 50 plat for a frame for example.

I can bet that they get tickets to support every day with this issue and it doesn't help them make money in any way. Yes, DE could easily fix this and they should. The amount of people just blaming it on player and saying there is no problem is astonishing.

OP could have chosen better words and I can see why the words he chose can annoy someone, but it's not a reason to straight out bash on his idea. He has a point and DE themselves are probably very well aware of it, from their support tickets if nothing else.

Edited by Krak_Nihilus

It's not about accidentally buying platinum from store, it's about accidentally rushing an item in foundry mostly.

And yes, it's an issue. Yes, the player can prevent it by reading every single pop up he gets, but let's be honest you don't read it every time you get it. When I claim a weapon from my foundry I expect a " buy slot" pop up, and also a "yay you claimed it" on everything. But when I have 10 things to claim I don't always notice that one has 30 seconds left. And rushing when things have even one second left is still full cost, so 50 plat for a frame for example.

I can bet that they get tickets to support every day with this issue and it doesn't help them make money in any way. Yes, DE could easily fix this and they should. The amount of people just blaming it on player and saying there is no problem is astonishing.

Actually I do read every pop up that comes up, but thank you for assuming. And it is the player's fault for not reading. You actually just gave the perfect example of why. You assumed and you clicked blindly, your fault for not being patient and taking the time to look and read.

Actually I do read every pop up that comes up, but thank you for assuming. And it is the player's fault for not reading. You actually just gave the perfect example of why. You assumed and you clicked blindly, your fault for not being patient and taking the time to look and read.

Which still isn't a reason for DE to not give a frick. Do you read every terms of service and privacy policy that you "sign" when making an account on a website? Maybe you do, but barely anyone does. If it's written there that by signing it you give them 40k dollars every months, does that mean that you have to pay it? In your logic yes, because they didn't read it and could have easily prevented it by doing so. But reality doesn't work that way dude. And yeah, it's a pretty extreme example and I wish I shouldn't have to give any but apparently it's needed.

Edited by Krak_Nihilus

Or, you could not hurry and just read the message. I don't believe they are trying to trick their players with this, but rather people should stop rushing through then blaming DE because they were impatient.

Then what is the design reason for having the player have to click ok to claim an item? If the player will always click yes to a pop up, in other words the pop up is simply a repeat of the original click - in this case i want to claim  the item, then the systems asks if i want to claim the item (with no changes, no plat, no additional information) then the pop up box is redundant and poor design.

as another poster said, DE must get thousands of such tickets in their support and removing this redundant box would eliminate that.

You are actually arguing for having to click twice to claim a weapon from your arsenal every time. Why do you want to have to do that? Why shouldn't DE remove that extra, useless pop up?

Wow... It's not an issue, the READY TO CLAIM is in your face. Failing to read something shouldn't be blamed on DE. That's just ignorance at its finest. When you "accidentally" click an item in the foundry that's not done, 2 options pop up. Do you want to spend plat for a slot with a No next to it. OR Do you want to rush this item? "Insert amount here" with a NO next to it.

Failing to read that is just  pure lack of reading and it's stupidity that someone would actually point fingers at DE for Their own fault.

inb4 lock 

Wow... It's not an issue, the READY TO CLAIM is in your face. Failing to read something shouldn't be blamed on DE. That's just ignorance at its finest. When you "accidentally" click an item in the foundry that's not done, 2 options pop up. Do you want to spend plat for a slot with a No next to it. OR Do you want to rush this item? "Insert amount here" with a NO next to it.

Failing to read that is just pure lack of reading and it's stupidity that someone would actually point fingers at DE for Their own fault.

inb4 lock

Yes, lock because of people flaming here and protecting a stupid pop up for no other reason than "don't you dare blame DE" and "it's your fault" without even realising that noone is blaming them and I have no idea where you've seen it in my post. Yes, it's the player's fault. I've said it too, are you happy now? Will you now let DE do a little UI change in order to prevent such things happening in the future or are you going to argue that it should stay and we need more of such "fail traps" to catch players who don't pay enough attention?

I probably sound a bit upset and that's because I am. Nearly all answer don't even touch the actual topic and just argue where the blame is. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO SCREWED UP, IT CAN BE PREVENTED.

Yes, lock because of people flaming here and protecting a stupid pop up for no other reason than "don't you dare blame DE" and "it's your fault" without even realising that noone is blaming them and I have no idea where you've seen it in my post. Yes, it's the player's fault. I've said it too, are you happy now? Will you now let DE do a little UI change in order to prevent such things happening in the future or are you going to argue that it should stay and we need more of such "fail traps" to catch players who don't pay enough attention?

I probably sound a bit upset and that's because I am. Nearly all answer don't even touch the actual topic and just argue where the blame is. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO SCREWED UP, IT CAN BE PREVENTED.

Thanks for stating new things that you never stated before in your post. And I was talking about the OP not you. There is no issue to this problem that the OP has put out. How is it poor design? Just takes a simple skim or read and that's that, but having to come here and post about an issue that isn't even problem proves idiocy and really puts out no discussion. That is why I said lock, because there is nothing to discuss, just a little rant from a person who likes to rush through things without reading.

Edited by KJRenz

So... You play a game that either makes you drone, or bored, so much that you can't read a few words before clicking a confirmation button or pay attention to the huge timer bar that has numbers instead of letters when it's still building, and says 'READY' when it's...ready... I think the issue is with people, not the game...

Edited by Geraion

Thanks for stating new things that you never stated before in your post. And I was talking about the OP not you. There is no issue to this problem that the OP has put out. How is it poor design? Just takes a simple skim or read and that's that, but having to come here and post about an issue that isn't even problem proves idiocy and really puts out no discussion. That is why I said lock, because there is nothing to discuss, just a little rant from a person who likes to rush through things without reading.

Yes, actually there was. Or did you not read the post in its entirety (ironic). The bad design is the popup when you DON'T need to spend anything. The popup that says "The item has been added to your inventory" and the player must click "ok". So if you claim six things, and you click, hit ok, click, hit ok, click hit ok and the last one is either 10 seconds from done, or you are out of slots and the the last popup says "do you want to spend 10 plat" and you click ok, out of habit.

The bad design is requring a popup for claiming weapons in the first place. You just clicked that you wanted to claim something, but you still have to click again. If you have to click a pop up every time, then the effect of the warning popups are diluted. This was the issue in the original post.

Hurrying mistakes are also caused by there not being a filter for "completed". Why is there a filter for "in progress" but not "completed". If there was a filter for "completed" people wouldn't accidentally huiry things they didn't want to... but they would also hurry things less often (basic psychology)

Yes, actually there was. Or did you not read the post in its entirety (ironic). The bad design is the popup when you DON'T need to spend anything. The popup that says "The item has been added to your inventory" and the player must click "ok". So if you claim six things, and you click, hit ok, click, hit ok, click hit ok and the last one is either 10 seconds from done, or you are out of slots and the the last popup says "do you want to spend 10 plat" and you click ok, out of habit.

The bad design is requring a popup for claiming weapons in the first place. You just clicked that you wanted to claim something, but you still have to click again. If you have to click a pop up every time, then the effect of the warning popups are diluted. This was the issue in the original post.

Hurrying mistakes are also caused by there not being a filter for "completed". Why is there a filter for "in progress" but not "completed". If there was a filter for "completed" people wouldn't accidentally huiry things they didn't want to... but they would also hurry things less often (basic psychology)

You answered your own problem "Out of habit" YOU clicked it because YOU rushed. This isn't an issue, and it isn't bad design. You're still ignoring the fact that you didn't want to read a simple message saying yes or no, because YOU wanted to hurry things up. This is your problem, stop with the invalid arguments.

Welcome to the forums, where most of the answers are exactly that...sad to say but it's the truth.

Regarding the OP, buying a slot by accident happened once to me because I had 5 crafted weapons, was in a hurry, and with a controlled was just spamming A...so, don't come tell me the Op is wrong. The "item added to your inventory" box is redundant. In my case I wasn't bothered since I would have bought the slots anyway, but that useless popup is why I was spamming in the first place...

Also, by peoples' logic here, anything that someone doesn't like is their fault, then how come I'm pretty sure some of those answering go on other threads and say otherwise?

Edited by Demon.King

You answered your own problem "Out of habit" YOU clicked it because YOU rushed. This isn't an issue, and it isn't bad design. You're still ignoring the fact that you didn't want to read a simple message saying yes or no, because YOU wanted to hurry things up. This is your problem, stop with the invalid arguments.

It is absolutely bad design. Reducing uncessary clicks is good design. Saying it's not bad design doesn't make it true. Any UI designer will tell you that uncessary clicks and redundant clicks are bad design.

I've been in those design meetings. Adding an unecessary warning box is usually done so that a warning box you had to put in loses it's efficacy. I've been on customer facing projects that have done exactly that on purpose. I'm not saying DE is doing that (although the lack of a completed items filter seems purposeful), but either way from the customer standpoint it's bad design.

Edited by Shockwave-