Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[New Warframe]The Engineer

Baskakov_Dima

Just to mention it, please, prepare for:

1) This warframe never being released. Discuss it purely for fun and for the sake of game design. :)

2) The content of this document changing a lot, as the concept isn’t finished yet. 

Content in italic has a double probability of being changed and triple probability to leave the concept.

Right after we come up with the basic points of the concept done, at least the visual parts of it, my girlfriend (she also plays this addictive S#&$) will draw some concept art that will appear in this thread.

Waiting for your comments. :)

UPD1 (4.11.2015): 

1) Yes, I know that Vauban is presented as an engineer, but the problem is that by game design he is a lot closer to a trapper.

2) Yes, this concept is highly based on TF-series engi. But there are very few class/ability designs, you can't limit things to what you make by only your own brain. 

3) Yes, I understand that we have to have something to prevent AFK farming. What can help:

3.1. Making the Engi to actively support the tuirret, like the engi from Team Fortress Classic can't leave his nest (or it gets destroyed by almost any class)

3.2. Making him to recast the ability by limiting the turret's lifetime, or the amount of shots it can fire or something else. 

3.3. Some other thing you can find. 

Edited by Baskakov_Dima

Let's not shoot down the OP yet. Vauban is a trapper Warframe, as he was described in development. 

And so what do engineers do? Oh wait make traps.

Basically trappers are a form of engineer.

This is also shown by Vauban's teslas which are basically turrets.

But hey if you want to discuss a frame idea that's already a thing be my guest.

I'm have not looked at the concept yet, but if there are mobile turrets involved, I'm not gonna like it.

EDIT :

Yep as I thought, Turrets.

Do people have that little sense to keep coming up with this sort of idea when Mesa's Sentry gun mode has just been tweaked to discourage that sort of gameplay? 
And yu want a Warframe that is basically designed to AFK?

Edited by YasaiTsume

And so what do engineers do? Oh wait make traps.

Basically trappers are a form of engineer.

This is also shown by Vauban's teslas which are basically turrets.

But hey if you want to discuss a frame idea that's already a thing be my guest.

Traps are one way to use technology. Others would be grenades, amplifying, interruption, nukes, actuall turrets, repairs.

I'd personally love a microbot themed frame with intelligent effects depending on your target. You shoot microbots to your feet or at tenno, a visible weapon buff. At dead robots, allies. At enemys, disarm, damage, stun, enslavement. At walls, strong turrets. At the ground, spikes. At a pile of metal (guns, armor, shield generators), robots depending on the material. Engineers create weapons. Evry soldier can use them.

Think simply different types of effect per ability.

Explosives, interruption, amplifying, creation.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Traps are one way to use technology. Others would be grenades, amplifying, interruption, nukes, actuall turrets, repairs.

I'd personally love a microbot themed frame with intelligent effects depending on your target. You shoot microbots to your feet or at tenno, a visible weapon buff. At dead robots, allies. At enemys, disarm, damage, stun, enslavement. At walls, strong turrets. At the ground, spikes. At a pile of metal (guns, armor, shield generators), robots depending on the material. Engineers create weapons. Evry soldier can use them.

Think simply different types of effect per ability.

Explosives, interruption, amplifying, creation.

Vauban has grenades, his weapons are technological. Like what do you think Vauban uses for his bounce pads, stones?

Anyways I am just saying discussing this is redundant since Vauban IS the engineer whether you like it or not.

Vauban has grenades, his weapons are technological. Like what do you think Vauban uses for his bounce pads, stones?

Anyways I am just saying discussing this is redundant since Vauban IS the engineer whether you like it or not.

Pretty sure ember uses stones to create fire? All frames would be engineer frames by that logic? Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Interesting concept but...

XFu47h.jpg

Voobans our engineer and we're hoping a change to bounce will make him more engineery

Sadly yes, Booben is our tactical engineer themed warframe already. Also, I'm tired of Engineer concepts being shoehorned into turrets.

Vauban is already an engineer.

Vauban is the engineer. He is based off of Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban who was a military engineer. Besides, DE already gave Vauban the title "The engineer"

Yes, I know that Vauban is presented as an engineer, but the problem is that by game design he is a lot closer to a trapper.

Edited by Baskakov_Dima

This sounds like the engineer from TF2. I like the idea but maybe tweak it a bit so it doesn't sound like you are copying another game's idea.

Yes, true, this concept is highly based on TF-series Engi. But there are very few class/ability designs, you can't limit things to what you make by only your own brain. 

I'm have not looked at the concept yet, but if there are mobile turrets involved, I'm not gonna like it.

EDIT :

Yep as I thought, Turrets.

Do people have that little sense to keep coming up with this sort of idea when Mesa's Sentry gun mode has just been tweaked to discourage that sort of gameplay? 

And yu want a Warframe that is basically designed to AFK?

Yes, I understand that we have to have something to prevent AFK farming. What can help:

3.1. Making the Engi to actively support the turret, like the engi from Team Fortress Classic can't leave his nest (or it gets destroyed by almost any class)
3.2. Making him to recast the ability by limiting the turret's lifetime, or the amount of shots it can fire or something else. 
3.3. Some other thing you can find.