Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Rules Of Engagement

Kalenath

Does that happen a lot?

No, most of the time, its far easier. Read a description, vote, done. This time? Too many personalities with too much angst.

I am about to tell the whole Council to **** off. That is pretty much what some of them have told me.

Edited by Kalenath

No, most of the time, its far easier. Read a description, vote, done. This time? Too many personalities with too much angst.

I am about to tell the whole Council to **** off. That is pretty much what some of them have told me.

Huh....

I'm guessing that you can't tell me what you were arguing about since its on the Design Council?

I know Kal and he seems pretty tolerant most times. I expect if it was bad enough that HE'S had enough, it was pretty darn bad. Sorry Kal :/

Yes, it was extreme. And yes, it was the right thing for me to do.

Can't talk about it, but you will know soon enough.

Ah well, better to focus on my writing anyway. At least HERE I can make a difference.

Not likely to have one up tomorrow, REALLY don't feel much like writing right now. Probably Wednesday.

Edited by Kalenath

having read through what happened in the council forum i cannot say i blame you though I do wish you would reconsider your leaving

Why?

They don't need me. They have EVERYTHING they need already. Just ask them. Nothing I do or say will make any difference at all. Those who have a clue will be smart, those who don't will be stupid. And in the end? Nothing will change. It is not worth my time or my angst.

I won't say any more. I gave my word when I joined it and I consider it important to keep my word.

At least HERE, I can be creative.

Edited by Kalenath

Why?

They don't need me. They have EVERYTHING they need already. Just ask them. Nothing I do or say will make any difference at all. Those who have a clue will be smart, those who don't will be stupid. And in the end? Nothing will change. It is not worth my time or my angst.

I won't say any more. I gave my word when I joined it and I consider it important to keep my word.

At least HERE, I can be creative.

Fair enough. I only wished you would reconsider because without you there is one less council member actually worth talking to and that is a very small list but council member or not you ARE one of the best in this community. In my humble opinion anyway.

You may make of it what you wish

but anyway all the above matters not. If this is what you want/ how you feel then its not my place to try and say otherwise

Edited by evafan002

Kal, I voted for the "current winner option" because it was the one i preferred. Besides, I knew it was going to win anyway, because it would be the go to option for people who have no opinion since it fits the theme, as well as being the simple one that would be most widely known, instead of some more obscure reference. Creative may be interesting, but in dealing with others, think "simple."

Kal, I voted for the "current winner option" because it was the one i preferred. Besides, I knew it was going to win anyway, because it would be the go to option for people who have no opinion since it fits the theme, as well as being the simple one that would be most widely known, instead of some more obscure reference. Creative may be interesting, but in dealing with others, think "simple."

And that is the problem. 'The current winner is going to win.'

This happens EVERY time. Simple has it's place, and easy to recognize does too. But as far as I am concerned, the Design Council has failed every time in making or selecting things that help the game grow. They go with whatever is 'convenient'. Whatever looks like it will win gets the vote, because why BOTHER to do anything else? Doesn't matter if it is about as smart as a puddle of mud under a pile of crap in a box of rocks. MOST of the Council are smart enough to realize that selecting something stupid or cliche will be detrimental to the game, but they do it anyway, because it is convenient. That is NOT just about this last thing. EVERY TIME.

It just got to the point where I can't accept it anymore. I could not simply ignore the fact anymore that NOTHING I did made ANY difference at ALL there. Some people will crow in victory 'OH YES! WE BEAT HIM!' Some will go 'Oh, he is a quitter'.

There is some truth in both of those. Yes, part of why I left is some people drove me away. I don't like being told to 'chill out' because I don't agree with the flavor of the week and my opinions are loud. I don't like being TOLD I have to vote 'X' to spite 'Y'. I do not like quitting, especially things I enjoy. But as an analogy: if I try to climb a mountain and fall every time, it is my fault that I fall, no one else's. Even if there are people up on the top throwing rocks down at me, it is still my fault that I fall, because there are always ways to avoid such. If there was a team involved, things might be different, but the Design Council was never a team effort.

It got to the point that I could not do it anymore. I put two people on 'ignore' the day before yesterday and that shook me. That shook me badly. That negates the whole POINT of what the Council was supposed to be. I spent all morning yesterday thinking about that and looking over what was said and then my replies. I asked myself 'Is what I do here REALLY worth all this?' The answer was 'No'. Most of what I posted yesterday was after I contacted Danielle to have my permissions removed and was waiting to hear back from her. I am still Grandmaster rank, but a permanent null vote (about the same effectiveness as I ever had) and I cannot see the subforum anymore.

Whatever is chosen, the game will go on. But I want nothing to do with the Design Council anymore. I refuse to take any further responsibility for what comes out of there. I accept partial responsibility for everything that came before, but this is my limit.

I fully expect to be laughed at for this. I fully expect people to call it an overreaction. People will assume I was angry and reacted irrationally. I am not going to lie, I AM angry. Being useless always makes me angry. But that had very little to do with my decision. This was coming for some time. This latest pile of fewmets was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Good luck. You are GOING to need it. Especially when this latest thing goes public.

I will have my next chapter up tomorrow.

Edited by Kalenath

This reminds me of how Formula 1 has been ever since some of the teams(Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes, Williams, McLaren and whichever of the remaining teams has highest position in Constructors Championship) got to decide about things "democratically" in the "Strategy Group."

Whenever other teams try to change rules or regulations to prevent one team from dominating(currently Mercedes) the dominating team says "No" and that's it.(the votes have to be unanimous, which throws the "democracy" part out of the window.)

This reminds me of how Formula 1 has been ever since some of the teams(Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes, Williams, McLaren and whichever of the remaining teams has highest position in Constructors Championship) got to decide about things "democratically" in the "Strategy Group."

Whenever other teams try to change rules or regulations to prevent one team from dominating(currently Mercedes) the dominating team says "No" and that's it.(the votes have to be unanimous, which throws the "democracy" part out of the window.)

The Design Council was never QUITE that bad.

Occasionally close, but not quite.

True democracy is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good in that everyone has a chance to participate. Bad in that it CAN be exploited and when it can be, people WILL. For good or ill, people will exploit the systems flaws.

It is what humans do.

Edited by Kalenath