The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx, Goddess Of Night

TheRuinsOfBeverast

I don't know if any of this has ever been stated by the devs for anyone else before, but I was thinking one day: Nyx was the Greek goddess of night, who had several children. 4 of her children embodied Sleep, Death, Pain and Strife.

Then I realized the Warframe Nyx has 4 powers and each can be considered to symbolize one of her children. Mind Control would be Sleep, Psychic Bolts would be Death, Chaos would be Strife and Absorb would be Pain. 

I don't know. I just thought that was really neat and well planned, if it were actually intentional. Is there anymore Warframes with hidden concepts tied to mythology? I already know about Atlas, Oberon and Zephyr. Loki and Excalibur are pretty obvious.

Atlas's passive is a neat reference to Antaeus, of Greek mythology. Chroma is also hinted to be a reference to Dungeons and Dragons' chromatic dragons (Rebecca brought it up in a stream a while ago). 

Aside from those, the most common references I see are simple ones, like a frame being inspired by, and thereby having powers relating to, figures of various legends and mythology. This carries over into cosmetics as well; Excalibur's "Avalon" and "Pendragon" helmets being the best example I can think of (Chroma's alternate helmet "Amaru" (my profile pic as of now), is a reference to a "mythical dragon from the Andean culture in South America", according to the wiki). 

Neat things like this always make me appreciate the game and the work that goes into it even more. Very nice catch with Nyx there.

EDIT: Upon further research, Chroma's entire existence is a throwback to Dark Sector. Look up the "Stalker" and "Chroma" enemies from Dark Sector; the similarities are ridiculous. 

Edited by Magneu

It's quite literal. But judging from its actual damage output, it wouldn't be worthwhile to go that far into calling those bolts with 'Death'. Bolts would be Pain, and Absorb would be Death.

No, Absorb makes sense being Pain, she is absorbing the damage being done to her (aka the pain) and unleashing it back at her enemies.

It's quite literal. But judging from its actual damage output, it wouldn't be worthwhile to go that far into calling those bolts with 'Death'. Bolts would be Pain, and Absorb would be Death.

Absorb is definitely death, bolts should be pain but in reality is more like a tickle then pain.

Absorb is Pain because it revolves around suffering, enduring and harnessing it. Psychic Bolts being Death is questionable, sure, but it's also Nyx's only ability that directly damages and kills. Its actual damage is irrelevant. Absorb requires you to literally absorb pain in order to deal damage.

Edited by PlagueAngel7

I don't know if any of this has ever been stated by the devs for anyone else before, but I was thinking one day: Nyx was the Greek goddess of night, who had several children. 4 of her children embodied Sleep, Death, Pain and Strife.Then I realized the Warframe Nyx has 4 powers and each can be considered to symbolize one of her children. Mind Control would be Sleep, Psychic Bolts would be Death, Chaos would be Strife and Absorb would be Pain. 

I don't know. I just thought that was really neat and well planned, if it were actually intentional. Is there anymore Warframes with hidden concepts tied to mythology? I already know about Atlas, Oberon and Zephyr. Loki and Excalibur are pretty obvious.

Sentient quote the Popol Vuh, the mayan book of creation. (The womb of the sky, and meerly shaped are they.) The text talks about the gods trying to create humans. One of them is named Xmucane, She Who Has Beggoten Sons, The Framer. Obvious Lotus connection is obvious.