The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ignore And Voice Chat

SpicyDinosaur

Question

okay so I have a large number of people on ignore. Mostly because I ignore people that use slurs, since a lot of stuff isn't or really can't be banned by the auto-censor. 

Anyway, thinking about maybe being brave and trying joining PUGs to accomplish things but, if I have someone on my ignore list, can I still hear them in voice chat? Do I have to mute them there separately or are the two interlinked?

I don't feel the need not to group with said people, since that would make grouping bothersome, and I'll pick them up if they are bleeding out, whatever, I just don't want to hear slurs and such in voice or text chat.

Also, why do so few people on this game use voice chat to begin with?

11 answers to this question

I'm not quite sure if it auto mutes them as well as generally ignores, most likely it does.

But few people don't use voice chat for numerous reasons.

Some are embarrassed about heir voices (I am)

Some people want to protect their privacy (Again, me)

Some people don't want their gender or nationality (Pronciations) known in case they become targeted for harassment.

Some just don't  have a mic

yea I used to hesitate because of gender, Team Fortress was really bad about that. But I feel like I'd rather prove that the 42% of mmo players that are women are actually out there, whatever grief that brings. I understand other people not doing it though.

That said I don't handle harassment well, so I am glad the ignore list doesn't seem to have a cap. I need to know for sure though, I don't always remember who I have ignored, but I would just rather avoid the jarring experience of hearing some of these unpleasantries in general.

i dont use a mic because i find it easier to just write and i dont like hearing other peoples voices (including my own) through a mic.

I'm with this response, except that i use a discord.gg server and steam to talk to others. But overall, it's easier to set the words in stone and type them out in mission/chatroom.

Also, at one time, Warframe's voice system was overwhelming and i could definetely not tolerate it; taxing on the ears XD

I don't know how you find it easier to write. If I'm in the middle of 12 mobs all shooting at me, taking the time to write a full paragraph isn't going to work, or for that matter, bringing up the chat window, clicking on the squad tab and reading what someone else wrote.

Using voicechat is pretty much a must in most games. It speeds up communication and you can continue doing what you are doing instead of stopping and completely halting your actions for 20-30 seconds if you talk instead.

I'm with this response, except that i use a discord.gg server and steam to talk to others. But overall, it's easier to set the words in stone and type them out in mission/chatroom.

Also, at one time, Warframe's voice system was overwhelming and i could definetely not tolerate it; taxing on the ears XD

my ears almost died because of a squadmate's mic searing through my headset, so i have disabled voice ever since

I don't know how you find it easier to write. If I'm in the middle of 12 mobs all shooting at me, taking the time to write a full paragraph isn't going to work, or for that matter, bringing up the chat window, clicking on the squad tab and reading what someone else wrote.

Using voicechat is pretty much a must in most games. It speeds up communication and you can continue doing what you are doing instead of stopping and completely halting your actions for 20-30 seconds if you talk instead.

depends on how fast you type and i only type when i find it suitable to do. besides i often play solo because its easier that way and i dont have any friends/clan to play with, so its solo most of the way :P

Edited by Aeon66

Okay I tested this with my boyfriend. Ignore and mute are entirely separate. Which sucks. I don't really feel like DE is responsive to input, since their CS is so backlogged (a company unwilling to fund a good CS dept is not concerned with player involvement or happiness and expects high turnover.) So I don't really feel like it would be productive to present this to anyone that could change it.

I contacted support about being banned from region for using the word for same sex attraction (probably bannable here too) in an innocuous manner, while transphobic and racist slurs are pretty easy to get past the filter, and when Mods ignore woman bashing etc so they can chat with players, and they weren't very helpful. I never actually got any sort of warning I was just quietly removed and suspended. CS insisted I would have gotten a message and when I stressed that I didn't...they just stop responding.

Oh well, that sucks.

I think you're probably correct in your assessment, because the PS4 version's voice-chat functionality is pretty horrible too. There is no way to mute outgoing mic audio, period. Even being in a party chat doesn't stop your squad from hearing you. It sucks, because PS4's firmware doesn't offer any solution to this either.

With luck, Chat 2.0 will address this. I certainly hope so. The PS4 version especially needs advanced voice chat functionality.

Sorry to hear that you have been having a negative experience with other players in Warframe. I would suggest just be ready with that mute option if you are playing outside your normal group. I typically use a keyboard unless I'm playing with my close friends because there is always that one person trolling on voice chat. It is the very reason my wife never uses voice in Warframe.

I think you're probably correct in your assessment, because the PS4 version's voice-chat functionality is pretty horrible too. There is no way to mute outgoing mic audio, period. Even being in a party chat doesn't stop your squad from hearing you. It sucks, because PS4's firmware doesn't offer any solution to this either.

With luck, Chat 2.0 will address this. I certainly hope so. The PS4 version especially needs advanced voice chat functionality.

If you go into party settings while in a party and set the audio to party chat, no one should be able to hear you in-game.