The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike The New Quest/tenno Thing (Spoilers)

goatkid

Lore was the wrong word. I'm sure they didn't think about what is a warframe, how it works and how can you switch between. And long after they figured out how they should put together all conflicting information we have in the game. Isn't it obvious?

It's their game, do you know what goes around their office? Nope. The lore is there about the Warframe, it's there and nothing can be changed about it.

I have to say, to this though, that isn't as valid a statement as I would like it to be. At least not in Warframe's case.

That would be a valid statement to me if there was much to go off of in WF to begin with. How it was before encouraged making your own story. Before, Steve in streams even encouraged it. Saying about how the reason they didn't want to give the Tenno voices/whatever was so the player could imagine it. So it's hard to say that to people when the game almost compels you to do so.

And in my case, I didn't even have a head canon or whatever. I just grew attached to my frames. I don't RP much in these types of games. But, as I provided in my above post. That new thing threw a wedge in my attachment. So eh.

Attachments to things hold this way too, it's not just limited to Headcanons/theories. 

DE presented the final puzzle piece to who the Tenno were.

It was bound to happen

I have to say, to this though, that isn't as valid a statement as I would like it to be. At least not in Warframe's case.

That would be a valid statement to me if there was much to go off of in WF to begin with. How it was before encouraged making your own story. Before, Steve in streams even encouraged it. Saying about how the reason they didn't want to give the Tenno voices/whatever was so the player could imagine it. So it's hard to say that to people when the game almost compels you to do so.

And in my case, I didn't even have a head canon or whatever. I just grew attached to my frames. I don't RP much in these types of games. But, as I provided in my above post. That new thing threw a wedge in my attachment. So eh.

That's exactly what i'm trying to get at. After all of this it's just eh.

Personally not sure if due to being some what tired at the time of the quest.

But the feeling I got from it is, you'rethe warframe still.

In a way you play as two things in the game. You kinda play as the child, but for the most part. You are still the frame that's powered by the child. Personally that how I felt with the quest. Which would be coolin my point of view, but not sure if I seen a game that did something sybiotic like that.

But like I said. Was tired and may have misinterpreted it.

If this can be the case. I'm perfectly okay with it.

Not I'm complaining. Still enjoying the game and that quest if def' my tag by a landslide.

Edited by vissroid

It's their game, do you know what goes around their office? Nope. The lore is there about the Warframe, it's there and nothing can be changed about it.

Attachments to things hold this way too, it's not just limited to Headcanons/theories. 

DE presented the final puzzle piece to who the Tenno were.

It was bound to happen

I dunno, maybe it's because I never thought of the warframes as sentient beings with their own personalitys or traits other then their abilitys and the mods I slotted into them, but one thing that bothered me and now I am happy about (among plenty other) is that it fully explains the "how" can we have so many warframes be 'US.'

That always kinda gave me a double-take, it wasn't anything other then a pause but still I continued to play the game.  Being honest though, I don't see why people cannot just ignore to the best of their abilities this lore?  It's your time to spend, it's your mind, DE isn't going to police your inner-most thoughts if you truly want to continue thinking whatever you want about Warframe in general.  It's not going to be cannon, but who cares?  It's their game that they created, but it's your game to play, your game to have fun with.

Edited by achromos

Personally not sure if due to being some what tired at the time of the quest.

But the feeling I got from it is, you'rethe warframe still.

In a way you play as two things in the game. You kinda play as the child, but for the most part. You are still the frame that's powered by the child. Personally that how I felt with the quest. Which would be coolin my point of view, but not sure if I seen a game that did something sybiotic like that.

But like I said. Was tired and may have misinterpreted it.

That's exactly what it is, but people don't wanna see it for what it is because OH GOD NO THE TENNO LOOKS LIKE A KID.

This isn't the problem, though. The operator has a face and a voice that isn't ours, therefore we can't picture ourselves as the operator any more.

I was replying to what you said in the OP.

Now, Warframes are just empty shells. They all have the same voice now for me, they all do the same, they all look the same. I cant emphatize with them anymore. They are just puppets now, the lore of the game lost its touch for me.

Yes, I see that you're especially disappointed with the customization part.

But, the explanation above still may help you to ease your mind.

As mentioned above, the operator simply provides energy to the Warframe. Basically, the Warframe still has a mind of its own.

In short, you could interpret the operator as your partner. So, you can still attach yourself to the Warframe, while seeing the operator as someone that works with you. Your significant other, if you will.

I mean, it's clear that DE wants us to feel like we're the operator (by providing us with customization and all), but that shouldn't stop us from roleplay as the Warframe itself. Unless you don't like that idea either.

The game is great. The reveal is great (not the one i was expecting but great). You're immersing yourself the wrong way if you think you're being controlled by the Operator. 

Just like Ordis says, "You are the Tenno. You are the Operator. Ordis is the Cephalon. Ordis is the ship."

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed provoking image

Let's start by the fact that the quest is beautiful: it gives a good explanation and I don't mind knowing that there's one person that can control different warframes, whatever their sex is. It "Makes Sense" To me, it's cool. 

What truly ruined everything, for me, from my point of view, is giving the Operator a voice (I saw that there's a way to mute it, thanks to whoever posted it here), awful lines ("Come on" "That was close!" And so on) And seeing and customizing its face. 

The cinematics were something amazing, I almost cried when I saw the Warframe losing "Connection" With the Operator, when it carried the Operator across the map (As Lotus did) When it took out the sword from his chest.

This also makes me wonder that the Warframes have something more than just flesh; some kind of own will. Maybe past memories / mindsets.

But I also loved having someone mute roaming around, I loved wondering what face could my Operator have. I loved the suit it was wearing when I found it on the Moon, and I don't like seeing its face at all.

Ok, I got a person who can control Mirage from afar, or Hydroid, or Ivara, or Wu Kong. Beautiful. My Warframes are flesh-filled suits, but there must be something more (Or that's what I want to think) But please, give me a helmet, mute it forever. I don't want to change its appearance, nor I do want it to talk.

I started playing Warframe because it felt more mature, more immersive. Noone knew what was inside the Warframes, noone knew how things would've turned out. As I stated before, I like the concept, the answers DE has given, but I feel more like an outsider now, not the Operator. 

Two more questions please

1. If tenno is me, why he talks to me during my quests?

2. Final trailer: there was Stalker on the ship and then was Lotus, so they should see each other and maybe have some sort of communication, because.. i don't know.. the ship should have only one door out, isn't it?

Ok. Just last one: Why Stalker felt so bad after breaking the sword?

It's lore. The only option is accepting it or not accepting it and forever playing with less immersion. DE is not going to somehow reverse everything that happened in the quest, what's done is done.

I feel the only difference between now Warframe and then Warframe is that, unlike being the Tenno sitting on the chair in reality playing the game, is that I can finally see myself in game for real (with little difference because I'm still sitting in the chair and controlling a character, heh).

So yes, I personally feel more immersed.

Lore just has to be relevant to world building, not killing player immersion with pidgeon-holing you into being nothing but a child playing with their dollies. These Tenno are in no danger when fighting, they are controlling dolls.

Even Stalker doesn't want to kill our Operator after discovering the pathetic truth, he had to be forced by Hunhow, who otherwise can't get the Tenno.

There is no excitement or dire-ness in defending a mere doll in defense missions nor is there any real abomination in Zanuka when its just made up of doll parts. Its really lame and makes the enemy factions like the Corpus and Grineer look more sympathetic and impressive by proxy, which is bad. They made Sargus right, we really are just fighting for loot, Warframe dollies.

Edited by UrielColtan

The game is great. The reveal is great (not the one i was expecting but great). You're immersing yourself the wrong way if you think you're being controlled by the Operator. 

Just like Ordis says, "You are the Tenno. You are the Operator. Ordis is the Cephalon. Ordis is the ship."

I think the issue is that it's impossible for a lot of players to see themselves as the operator any more, since the operator doesn't represent what the player is any more. The Warframe is still the vessel, but the Tenno (not the warframe) and the player have been disconnected because they are now two different people, whereas before the Tenno was the player.

wyuD0Dq.jpg

I like it, +1

Two more questions please

1. If tenno is me, why he talks to me during my quests?

2. Final trailer: there was Stalker on the ship and then was Lotus, so they should see each other and maybe have some sort of communication, because.. i don't know.. the ship should have only one door out, isn't it?

Ok. Just last one: Why Stalker felt so bad after breaking the sword?

1. Uhh, because the Tenno is you, you've just been asleep in the cryostasis in a second dream, thinking that you're the Warframe

2.Lotus is sentient she's space mom, she can pretty much do what she wants. 

3. Stalker didn't feel bad after the sword broke, he just poofed because the powers of Hunhow broke.

I actually like the reveal because it makes the Warframes even more personalized ala Asian mythos on how different swords have their own soul/personalities and such.

Lets not forget this opens a whole new Question on WHAT are the Warframes.

Alad's comments, the fact we know we craft them using infested materials, they are organic and living still. Rhino Prime shows how bad it could go without a control over them.

Edited by PoopManZ

Is it weird that at this point, I wouldn't mind it if DE did a small side mission that only allows for the player to go back to their whole "What are the Tenno" without having the operator again? By this I mean it could be a setup where Stalker pops in again and instead of letting you live, he shanks you with some new weapon that causes the void energy in the operators to slowly eat them alive like an acid. He leaves before the job can finish and ordis / somebody else shows up to try and help the player.

The player is given a choice where they can either live (and keep their operator with some new scars) or in order to save them they are converted into something different. The second option turns their being into energy/fluid/adaptive AI/etc... that lets them jump between Warframes with ease (due to new "void" powers), teleports the downed Warframe back to the ship if you fully fail a mission, and does all the other things we get with the operator alive and well (minus a few customization settings).

Said new version of operative would either be mute (by default) or have a couple of voices that can be chosen and instead of talking to themselves, they only voice things aloud when you do certain abilites (or when you use said abilities with enemies around).

Closest thing I can think of when it comes to jumping between Warframes with ease is Church's AI from Red vs. Blue. The guy could jump between different bodies and take them over or enter their mind if need be.

Is it weird that at this point, I wouldn't mind it if DE did a small side mission that only allows for the player to go back to their whole "What are the Tenno" without having the operator again? By this I mean it could be a setup where Stalker pops in again and instead of letting you live, he shanks you with some new weapon that causes the void energy in the operators to slowly eat them alive like an acid. He leaves before the job can finish and ordis / somebody else shows up to try and help the player.

The player is given a choice where they can either live (and keep their operator with some new scars) or in order to save them they are converted into something different. The second option turns their being into energy/fluid/adaptive AI/etc... that lets them jump between Warframes with ease (due to new "void" powers), teleports the downed Warframe back to the ship if you fully fail a mission, and does all the other things we get with the operator alive and well (minus a few customization settings).

Said new version of operative would either be mute (by default) or have a couple of voices that can be chosen and instead of talking to themselves, they only voice things aloud when you do certain abilites (or when you use said abilities with enemies around).

Closest thing I can think of when it comes to jumping between Warframes with ease is Church's AI from Red vs. Blue. The guy could jump between different bodies and take them over or enter their mind if need be.

You can't just do one lore reveal and go around to do another to change things. And would just be weird in a story itself.

Again, The boat has sailed, there is no turning back.

I think the issue is that it's impossible for a lot of players to see themselves as the operator any more, since the operator doesn't represent what the player is any more. The Warframe is still the vessel, but the Tenno (not the warframe) and the player have been disconnected because they are now two different people, whereas before the Tenno was the player.

The Operator is what we as players are but, some players just refuse to let go of their headcanon and can't connect. DE could always add the option to keep the Zariman hood up, if that would solve some of their issue. As for the Operator dialog, there is an option to disable that under the sound section.

I like this idea far better plus people would have a choice ^_^

Edited by (PS4)kira4715

The Operator is what we as players are but, some players just refuse to let go of their headcanon and can't connect. DE could always add the option to keep the Zariman hood up, if that would solve some of their issue. As for the Operator dialog, there is an option to disable that under the sound section.

I think the full Zariman hood would really solve the issue. It'll give those who are a little upset their sense of identity back, myself included.

Edited by IANOBW

Lore just has to be relevant to world building, not killing player immersion with pidgeon-holing you into being nothing but a child playing with their dollies. These Tenno are in no danger when fighting, they are controlling dolls.

Even Stalker doesn't want to kill our Operator after discovering the pathetic truth, he had to be forced by Hunhow, who otherwise can't get to the Tenno.

There is no excitement or dire-ness in defending a mere doll in defense missions nor is there any real abomination in Zanuka when its just made up of doll parts. Its really lame and makes the enemy factions like the Corpus and Grineer look more sympathetic and impressive by proxy, which is bad. They made Sargus right, we really are just fighting for loot, Warframe dollies.

No, it's not that the Stalker discovered the "Pathetic Truth"  please don't project.  The Stalker is mad, he has been mad ever since "WE" (we are the tenno, we are the operator...) betrayed the Orokin, and ended them.  We don't know exactly what went down, but it made Stalker batS%#@ insane and somehow he fell in line with Hunhow through his hatred, and upon finding this reservoir and seeing the Tenno, the operator fall out of the cryo-pod like that and the warframe go limp probably had his own reveal.

Which was why the stalker was looking at his own hands, and at the cryo-pod.  He was probably wondering how simmilar he was, and if what he was doing right.  This was probably why Hunhow took it in his own hands and called Stalkers hatred weak and unleashed the occulusts on us to finish the job.

As far as Zanuka being less of a abomination?  Who's to say that the tenno could not feel every cut, every slice, every bit of torture.  That in and of itself might be what makes the Zanuka even more of a abomination still.

As far as people taking the 'kid' thing too far.  Here are some foot-notes

1.)These kids are murderers.

2.)These aren't laughing care-free kids, they, you, have murdered countless.

3.)They are thousands of years old, only their body looks kiddish either way.

thats your opinnion on how to play a game, for me every warframe had its own unique voice and character while i played them and YOU dont have to join up with my opinnion

Except the reveal further strengthens that notion, they aren't empty shells, they have technocyte virus infused with all other sorts of tech to conduit void energy and had in some way severance from the Hivemind of the virus from what I am putting together now. They are still organic, they have always been referred to as "armor", and each all has their own personalities. 

This isn't a choose your own adventure book, you don't just create schisms in reality like that. The Warframe have always been referred to as weapons, tools with personalities, nothing has changed about that, in fact they have been made even more characterized, making my whole arsenal more interesting in terms of lore.

Edited by PoopManZ