The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike The New Quest/tenno Thing (Spoilers)

goatkid

I'll tell you your problem with this narrative.

You play warframe to fulfill a power fantasy. It makes you feel like a badass ninja when fully immersed. Your problem is that D.E. just reminded you that you are actually a 40 year old nobody playing a videogame in your parents basement. You want to play a game to escape yourself, not to be reminded of who you really are.

But this is exactly what is so genius about this plot-line. You are you. Just some kid, in the ultimate video game console and unaware of who you actually are. Wake up, and remember who you are.

As I said before, you want that blue pill so you can stay happy in the Matrix, because your reality is too sad and pitiful to be reminded of.

Warframe is no longer the light dream that it used to be, S#it just got serious and you need time to deal with it.

Oh look, some Mazes and Monsters style delusion. I guess this is why you played the game before this.

Edited by UrielColtan

Many of the games in the world don't require a lore explanation behind a game mechanic like switching suits/gear or certain player avatars. I certainly did not want to actually see the Tenno either. I was good with knowing they were people who got powers from the void, all I needed.

Edited by UrielColtan

Headcanon/10 Tenno. Are you being paid to try and control people's mind? If people don't like it, then they don't like it. Criticizing it is already a fine course of action, unsatisfied customers are supposed to do that, a game dependent on crowd sourcing is supposed to get this.

The customers don't need to adopt your sugar coated perspective headcanon nor should they have to handicap themselves to deal with this intrusive player insert when an already satisfying way of dealing with it, is criticizing it. These customers don't shape their preferences and opinions around what would make you feel better.

Criticizing the kid pupeteer also doesn't equate to bashing the whole game or anything either. People disliked some aspect of the lore/interface/presentation, and that is being disliked, but that is ok.

None of what I've said is headcanon, it's all 100% the lore that you've been presented with. 

Once again, if you think you're being invited by DE to play a "kid puppeteer", THEN I'M SORRY, BUT (unless you're simply being hyperbolically sarcastic, in which case ha ... ha ... ) YOU SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'VE BEEN PRESENTED WITH BY DE. That is objective fact, which probably the majority of the players who like the lore revelations, which by the way seems to be a majority of players (judging by the straw polls done so far), will back me up on.

Of course you're absolutely free to reject what's been presented, whether you understand it or not.  Nobody's trying to take away your toys (even though you keep reacting as if I am).

But if you're rejecting what's been presented to you on the basis of a plain misunderstanding, such as that you are now being asked to play a "kid puppeteer", then you can't expect anything other than blowback for your so-called "criticism".  And if you then start cursing DE to hell and back on the basis of your confusion, then yes, I'll defend DE, to the hilt.

As I said, the only really major point that I'll grant from people on your "side" of this argument, is that the in-game Tenno VO comments that genuinely sound kid-like in content - they're awful, and they shouldn't be there, they are a mistake. (Or rather, granted that they're an artifact of DE wanting to keep and attract younger players, they should have been kept to later voicepacks or something - unless DE know, what we don't, that the majority of its playerbase is actually excitable teens.  At any rate, so far as it's something that an older player is obviously going to dislike on first hearing, and especially when they're undecided about what they've seen, it's likely to further mislead them about what they've seen, and tip them into dislike. So yeah, a mistake, a fairly big mistake, in an otherwise excellent presentation.)

Actually they are inconsistent in "tone" with the bulk of the lore that's been presented.  And I can understand that someone who wasn't quite sure what they'd seen - well, it might put them over the edge into disliking it, or it might confuse them about what they've just seen, or about what they're supposed to understand.  Naturally, lots of us older players have a visceral rejection of playing an "emo teen". 

Another (semi-major) criticism I have of what DE did (obviously other than glitches, bugs, etc.) is that it should be more obvious that the "chair" the Tenno sits in is actually a fully-enclosing VR pod.  This is obvious if you retreat out of the room back to the door to the Liset and watch the pod - it closes up.  It should be closed until you're really close to it, and it should be closed for "Focus" changes from the main menu. Another semi-major criticism is that the "Tenno avatar" during focus should not be visible to other players, because it actually represents something private to the Tenno (that they are for that moment feeling wholly and focussedly themselves, and not "in" the warframe any more). Those are my criticisms of what DE have done. 

Another thing that might have been misleading is the fact that a character creator, while actually in essence a blank slate, and capable of representing hundreds, or even thousands of personalities (depending on the options available), is forced to present you with only ONE of its many possible options when you first see it, especially in a context like this, where it's in the middle of a story. And the problem is, the first thing you see, you may have a visceral dislike of its personality (for it will come across with some personality on first glance). 

And I'll let you in on a little secret: I actually viscerally disliked that "personality" I saw in that moment.  I had an instant "do not want" reaction to it.  But of course this isn't - and cannot seriously - be a fair criticism of DE, because it's hard to see how else you can present a character creator in the middle of a story other than with SOME PARTICULAR FACE.  I think honestly that some people, already on edge from the lore going against their headcanon to some greater or lesser extent, over-reacted to the "personality" of that example face (even though poor DE were probably well aware of this possibility, and tried to make it as "neutral"-looking as possible).

But of course, it would be a bit stupid to bloody-mindedly sustain that visceral reaction in light of what you actually know about the lore, and in light of the fact that the whole point of the character creator is to visually express the personality that you feel you are, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, if the problem is that while you are able to visually express whatever personality you like, there's a limitation that it's inevitably going to be physically and biologically young looking, then tough titty.  That's a limitation logically arising from the story (and of course, from DE's evident desire to create a game that will appeal to lots of young people in China).

But: if you're one of those people who's simply upset just because some lore has been pinned down and it's lore you don't like, then, once again, a) tough titty, and b) like it or lump it.  They ain't going to change horses in the middle of the stream for you, sunshine.

Edited by Omnimorph

None of what I've said is headcanon, it's all 100% the lore that you've been presented with.

Once again, if you think you're being invited by DE to play a "kid puppeteer", THEN I'M SORRY, BUT (unless you're simply being hyperbolically sarcastic, in which case ha ... ha ... ) YOU SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'VE BEEN PRESENTED WITH BY DE. That is objective fact, which probably the majority of the players who like the lore revelations, which by the way seems to be a majority of players (judging by the straw polls done so far), will back me up on.

Of course you're absolutely free to reject what's been presented, whether you understand it or not. Nobody's trying to take away your toys (even though you keep reacting as if I am).

But if you're rejecting what's been presented to you on the basis of a plain misunderstanding, such as that you are now being asked to play a "kid puppeteer", then you can't expect anything other than blowback for your so-called "criticism". And if you then start cursing DE to hell and back on the basis of your confusion, then yes, I'll defend DE, to the hilt.

As I said, the only really major point that I'll grant from people on your "side" of this argument, is that the in-game Tenno VO comments that genuinely sound kid-like in content - they're awful, and they shouldn't be there, they are a mistake.

Actually they are inconsistent in "tone" with the bulk of the lore that's been presented. And I can understand that someone who wasn't quite sure what they'd seen - well, it might put them over the edge into disliking it, or it might confuse them about what they've just seen, or about what they're supposed to understand. Naturally, lots of us older players have a visceral rejection of playing an "emo teen".

The other (semi-major) criticism I have of what DE did (obviously other than glitches, bugs, etc.) is that it should be more obvious that the "chair" the Tenno sits in is actually a fully-enclosing VR pod. This is obvious if you retreat out of the room back to the door to the Liset and watch the pod - it closes up. It should be closed until you're really close to it, and it should be closed for "Focus" changes from the main menu. Those are my criticisms of what DE have done.

Another thing that might have been misleading is the fact that a character creator, while actually in essence a blank slate, and capable of representing hundreds, or even thousands of personalities (depending on the options available), is forced to present you with only ONE of its many possible options when you first see it, especially in a context like this, where it's in the middle of a story. And the problem is, the first thing you see, you may have a visceral dislike of its personality (for it will come across with some personality on first glance).

And I'll let you in on a little secret: I actually viscerally disliked that "personality" I saw in that moment. I had an instant "do not want" reaction to it. But of course this isn't - and cannot seriously - be a fair criticism of DE, because it's hard to see how else you can present a character creator in the middle of a story other than with SOME PARTICULAR FACE. I think honestly that some people, already on edge from the lore going against their headcanon to some greater or lesser extent, over-reacted to the "personality" of that example face (even though poor DE were probably well aware of this possibility, and tried to make it as "neutral"-looking as possible.

But of course, it would be a bit stupid to bloody-mindedly sustain that visceral reaction in light of what you actually know about the lore, and in light of the fact that the whole point of the character creator is to visually express the personality that you feel you are, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, if the problem is that while you are able to visually express whatever personality you like, there's a limitation that it's inevitably going to be physically and biologically young looking, then tough titty. That's a limitation logically arising from the story (and of course, from DE's evident desire to create a game that will appeal to lots of young people in China).

But: if you're one of those people who's simply upset just because some lore has been pinned down and it's lore you don't like, then, once again, a) tough titty, and b) like it or lump it. They ain't going to change horses in the middle of the stream for you, sunshine.

Dude, you are just projecting this psyche that you built up in your headcanon for your Tenno child and trying to force it upon other people. There are other people that just don't get the same impressions that you do about the Tenno kid puppeteer, let alone ever wanting this surrogate to begin with, and thus, no amount of frosted sugar is going to make these kids look or feel appealing. A masking suit was already a way of invoking a lot of possible ideas impressive archetypes. Giving the Tenno faces, limited that.

Now, I really have to ask, why are you trying to control people's mind? I see you in every topic undercutting people's dislike of this setup. It's like you can't enjoy this unless everyone else loves it too.

Edited by UrielColtan

Dude, you are just projecting this psyche that you built up in your headcanon for your Tenno child and trying to force it upon other people. There are other people don't feel the same impressions that you do about the Tenno kid puppeteer let alone even wanting this surrogate to begin with. Why are you trying to control people's mind? I see you in every topic undercutting people's dislike of this setup. It's like you can't enjoy this unless everyone else loves it too.

No, that's your projection.  I just want to be sure that people actually understand what they've seen before rejecting it, and I want us all to be happy Tenno enjoying the game. 

Again with the "trying to control peoples' mind" - you really must get over this thing you seem to have, that if people don't agree with you and say you are wrong, they are trying to control you.  Grown-ups don't think like that.

And again with the "headcanon".  You will note that I have not said, "you are not a kid puppeteer."

Think about it.

Of course you're absolutely free to reject what's been presented, whether you understand it or not.  Nobody's trying to take away your toys (even though you keep reacting as if I am).

But if you're rejecting what's been presented to you on the basis of a plain misunderstanding, such as that you are now being asked to play a "kid puppeteer", then you can't expect anything other than blowback for your so-called "criticism".  And if you then start cursing DE to hell and back on the basis of your confusion, then yes, I'll defend DE, to the hilt.

As I said, the only really major point that I'll grant from people on your "side" of this argument, is that the in-game Tenno VO comments that genuinely sound kid-like in content - they're awful, and they shouldn't be there, they are a mistake. (Or rather, granted that they're an artifact of DE wanting to keep and attract younger players, they should have been kept to later voicepacks or something - unless DE know, what we don't, that the majority of its playerbase is actually excitable teens.  At any rate, so far as it's something that an older player is obviously going to dislike on first hearing, and especially when they're undecided about what they've seen, it's likely to further mislead them about what they've seen, and tip them into dislike. So yeah, a mistake, a fairly big mistake, in an otherwise excellent presentation.)

Actually they are inconsistent in "tone" with the bulk of the lore that's been presented.  And I can understand that someone who wasn't quite sure what they'd seen - well, it might put them over the edge into disliking it, or it might confuse them about what they've just seen, or about what they're supposed to understand.  Naturally, lots of us older players have a visceral rejection of playing an "emo teen". 

Another (semi-major) criticism I have of what DE did (obviously other than glitches, bugs, etc.) is that it should be more obvious that the "chair" the Tenno sits in is actually a fully-enclosing VR pod.  This is obvious if you retreat out of the room back to the door to the Liset and watch the pod - it closes up.  It should be closed until you're really close to it, and it should be closed for "Focus" changes from the main menu. Another semi-major criticism is that the "Tenno avatar" during focus should not be visible to other players, because it actually represents something private to the Tenno (that they are for that moment feeling wholly and focussedly themselves, and not "in" the warframe any more). Those are my criticisms of what DE have done. 

And I'll let you in on a little secret: I actually viscerally disliked that "personality" I saw in that moment.  I had an instant "do not want" reaction to it.  But of course this isn't - and cannot seriously - be a fair criticism of DE, because it's hard to see how else you can present a character creator in the middle of a story other than with SOME PARTICULAR FACE.  I think honestly that some people, already on edge from the lore going against their headcanon to some greater or lesser extent, over-reacted to the "personality" of that example face (even though poor DE were probably well aware of this possibility, and tried to make it as "neutral"-looking as possible).

On the other hand, if the problem is that while you are able to visually express whatever personality you like, there's a limitation that it's inevitably going to be physically and biologically young looking, then tough titty.  That's a limitation logically arising from the story (and of course, from DE's evident desire to create a game that will appeal to lots of young people in China).

But: if you're one of those people who's simply upset just because some lore has been pinned down and it's lore you don't like, then, once again, a) tough titty, and b) like it or lump it.  They ain't going to change horses in the middle of the stream for you, sunshine.

Dude, you are just projecting this psyche that you built up in your headcanon for your Tenno child and trying to force it upon other people. There are other people don't feel the same impressions that you do about the Tenno kid puppeteer let alone even wanting this surrogate to begin with. Why are you trying to control people's mind? I see you in every topic undercutting people's dislike of this setup. It's like you can't enjoy this unless everyone else loves it too.

NaCl

What happened, happened. Tenno are children, who due to extended lifespans (darvo is 100) have been alive and fighting for maybe ten or more years. They operate a machine. That's just what it is. If you like it, good. If you don't, that's honestly too bad. Just move on. No reason to pick a fight.

You do understand that the whole point of pinning down some lore is that it is no longer a situation of whether you like chocolate or vanilla, right?

Your comment about the mask which you added to your previous comment after I'd responded - yes actually, I think having one of the options be the mask might have been a wise move on DE's part, but it's no real biggie. 

Why?  BECAUSE THE THING UNDER THE MASK WAS INEVITABLY GOING TO HAVE A YOUNG APPEARANCE given its body type and the Zariman lore already in the game. 

It might have been a wiser move on DE's part to let the player get accustomed to that fact and have some time to mull it all over before they actually got to the stage of being able to visually create the personality of the thing under the mask.  But I think DE wanted a particular kind of impact, and they were prepared to take the cost hit from presenting the character creator and some people just having a visceral dislike of that particular face.

It's pretty clear that the way the quest was presented, part of the intention was to gradually deflate whatever headcanon the player had that was divergent with what they were going to present, so that the player would at least go along with the quest to the end, in the sense of continue to "give it the benefit of the doubt". For example, the "bug like" appearance of the mask, was clearly meant to let down gently the type of player who was sure that the Tenno was some kind of weird, alien looking thing. And later, I think the ambiguity of the War-breaking (between it being the strangled Tenno desperately controlling the warframe at a distance, and it being the warframe itself breaking War, out of some kind of sentience or loyalty) was also intentional, to let down gently those players who were convinced there was something sentient about the warframe.

Edited by [DE]Danielle

Headcanon/10 Tenno. Are you being paid to try and control people's mind? If people don't like it, then they don't like it. Criticizing it is already a fine course of action, unsatisfied customers are supposed to do that, a game dependent on crowd sourcing is supposed to get this.

The customers don't need to adopt your sugar coated perspective headcanon nor should they have to handicap themselves to deal with this intrusive player insert when an already satisfying way of dealing with it, is criticizing it. These customers don't shape their preferences and opinions around what would make you feel better.

Criticizing the kid pupeteer also doesn't equate to bashing the whole game or anything either. People disliked some aspect of the lore/interface/presentation, and that is being disliked, but that is ok.

Who'd have thought that, in the end of this, you and I would be agreeing?

But yes, I completely agree. The idea of "eh, we'll just stick with what we thought before" was going to come up one way or another, and while I dislike what we got I dislike the idea that people are just going to ignore it even more. I made a thread asking this very question of "what will you do" in the Roleplaying forum and the majority response was "we're just going to keep on with what we thought we were to begin with", with only a handful of people saying "yeah, we'll be changing out characters to fit."

We have our answer now, you WILL abide by it whether it something you like or not - god knows I am for my characters - and in that same vein us who DON'T like what we got STILL have the full right to express our disapproval with it. Will there be the people that just scream "I don't like it because I don't like it!"? Of course, there always will be. But myself and others - not ALL others, but others - have put forth our reasons for not liking it in triplicate: 1) It doesn't make sense for Lotus to be so worried about us, 2) One entire side of Gradivus was just rendered pointless 3) How the hell did Mirage and Limbo die?, and, for good measure, 4) The ENTIRE driving force in Vor's Prize has been rendered completely and utterly null. Why the hell did we even wake up in the first place? We were SAFE sleeping in the Void!

Among others.

I have my issues with it, I don't see those issues going away, and I HOPE DE managed to expand on this to make it feel A LOT less hackneyed in and out of step with everything else we've seen so far.

Well then they need to stop ACTING like children and start TALKING like adults.

"Couldn't they have cloned something... less ugly?"

Yeah, TOTALLY not something a kid would say at all...

A sentiment I can get behind as well, while I don't mind the tenno being physically young (there is no reason against it at this point from a lore perspective) it makes absolutely no sense to have them behave as if children, these are people who were raised on war and bloodshed, whose boudy counts are in the hundreds and thousands, who have seen both friend and foe alike drop by the dozens, you can't retain the childlike purity and wonder that comes with youth after a life like that.

The tenno have to at least act their experiences, which would make them anything but naive and childish. (which i actually don't think is an issue with the specific line you quoted, but many others, i could respect that specific remark being a homage to the tenno's orokin heritage. we've always known the orokin to be a very materialistic society, obssessed with beauty and perfection, it is not at all out of character for a person of any age group within a culture so bound by appearance to make some snarky remark about how something isn't pretty/elegant, even a fully matured adult - cus face it, the orokin were truly just a bunch of snobs, i find it amusing to think de might be suggesting that even the tenno aren't entirely detachted from their cold ancestry)

Why?  BECAUSE THE THING UNDER THE MASK WAS INEVITABLY GOING TO HAVE A YOUNG APPEARANCE given its body type and the Zariman lore already in the game. 

I STILL don't see how people are able to instantly justify "they were referred to as children on the Zariman!" as being "they were just going to be kids form that point out".

To be honest.

I kinda suspected that we were remote operating the warframes since it explained a lot. And then when that loading screen glitch came along a while back that all but confirmed it far as I was concerned.

Still other theories were possible. But remote operation seemed the biggy at which point the question shifted to who and where from.

So when the second dream came along I was hype for delicious answers.

And when I got them I wasn't surprised but I was impressed. The reveal was very well done and the questline well above what I expected from warframe.

My only gripe with it all is that the voice acting of the tenno seems...meh. Either they're deliberately being flat and emotionless or the voice acting is just that bad. I suppose it fits though.

Their infrequent chime ins during missions are getting repetitive though.

Oops.. this is exactly what I did and am still doing. I suppose i just can't like any of this stuff.

ah well. Im glad I don't feel like im missing out on the game, even though I might be.

Well then they need to stop ACTING like children and start TALKING like adults.

"Couldn't they have cloned something... less ugly?"

Yeah, TOTALLY not something a kid would say at all...

Eh, that particular quote is less "acting like a child" and more like an out of place attempt at humor.

Edited by Zevroid

See, there you go again. Are you simply unable to take on board the possibility - the mere possibility - that you might be wrong about something?

You do understand that the whole point of pinning down some lore is that it is no longer a situation of whether you like chocolate or vanilla, right?

Your comment about the mask which you added to your previous comment after I'd responded - yes actually, I think having one of the options be the mask might have been a wise move on DE's part, but it's no real biggie.

Why? BECAUSE THE THING UNDER THE MASK WAS INEVITABLY GOING TO HAVE A YOUNG APPEARANCE given its body type and the Zariman lore already in the game.

It might have been a wiser move on DE's part to let the player get accustomed to that fact and have some time to mull it all over before they actually got to the stage of being able to visually create the personality of the thing under the mask. But I think DE wanted a particular kind of impact, and they were prepared to take the cost hit from presenting the character creator and some people just having a visceral dislike of that particular face.

It's pretty clear that the way the quest was presented, part of the intention was to gradually deflate whatever headcanon the player had that was divergent with what they were going to present, so that the player would at least go along with the quest to the end, in the sense of continue to "give it the benefit of the doubt". For example, the "bug like" appearance of the mask, was clearly meant to let down gently the type of player who was sure that the Tenno was some kind of weird, alien looking thing. And later, I think the ambiguity of the War-breaking (between it being the strangled Tenno desperately controlling the warframe at a distance, and it being the warframe itself breaking War, out of some kind of sentience or loyalty) was also intentional, to let down gently those players who were convinced there was something sentient about the warframe.

" Can't you accept that disliking something is wrong?"

"Can't you see that the whole point of lore is that you have to like everything in it? Especially if it encroaches on player customization, where choosing between chocolate or vanilla has been better part of the foundation of the product. Don't you see that other options can never be offered? Mass Effect 3 had a great ending, they should not have caved to criticism. Derp!"

"Tenno were always going to be children, no citation needed. A concept like with Hayden Tenno and Nemesis is unthinkable. Codex entry from eons ago obviously means that the Zariman children have to remain children in all that time and that no other ships could have been sent to recreate the same process."

" Switching suits needed a lore explanation, it could not just be a gameplay feature. You should be happy to have an answer even though you didn't ask for one"

Edited by UrielColtan

You'll be back, they always come back :)

I know right? Warframe just killed me 2 years ago, and now my soul is here.... Warframe....Warframe... Curse my diablo blood, must keep... Hoarding mods... Weapons... Forma... Lobster butt...

ahem,that was the lotus controlling it

Wrong, the Lotus isn't powered by the void, therefore she cannot move the Warframe. It's something else yet not explained.

Wrong, the Lotus isn't powered by the void, therefore she cannot move the Warframe. It's something else yet not explained.

hmm,I remembered the New Strange quest,Chroma was ethier being controlled or he was controlling himself meaning Warframe are in some way alive,i mean,when we got stabbed by the stalker sword,some kind of blood came out,but thats just my guess

hmm,I remembered the New Strange quest,Chroma was ethier being controlled or he was controlling himself meaning Warframe are in some way alive,i mean,when we got stabbed by the stalker sword,some kind of blood came out,but thats just my guess

That Chroma was infested. But yes there is something else about the frames we do not know yet.

Edited by KJRenz

pretty sure he wasnt infested,it was him being himself

but that was just me 

Codex lists him as infested

Technically ALL Warframes are Infested.

In the wake of the revelation of the Tenno, everyone seems to be forgotten a rather notable quote:

Any Infested Boss: "We are your flesh."

The Warframes have always been pointed to as having some kind of connection to the Infestation, or at least whatever nature of that being that is fighting the Tenno might be. But now that we know for a fact that nothing is inside the Warframe except... well, the Warframe I think it's MORE than fair to finally put down that the Warframes themselves are Infested creatures.