The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Vs Rhino

(PSN)CommanderC2121

Question

I main Oberon. 

If you want a frame that requires zero effort to play and master, then Oberon isn't for you. 

He's not hard by any means, but he's not hurr durr Iron Skin enabled.

He's a brawler. 

Run and gun, smite...jump, wall run, back flip, finisher, heal(3), run, reload, jump, 4, hack, finisher, shoot....that takes care of 1 room :)

If you want lazy, then oberon not for you.  He's not for the slow thinkers/movers.

If you want to run around and not engage, then maybe a Nyx is more your flavor.

If you want an in your face, blood and guts flying everywhere and all over you experience.  He's your guy.

He's a go go go go go until you extract the mission type frame....but in the end you'll have most kills, most damage, most revives and most fun.

Exceptions towards self damage, but Iron Skin is no where near effective in high level content unless you cast it in the middle of enemy fire. Too early, and you get a lower bonus to your defense and too late and you die. I do not believe it is a simple to use skill in that sense.

Most people using Rhino will either:

1) Rush ahead and just rely on Iron skin (Which will not save them in harder levels) 

2) Rhino stomp the F*** out of everything.

I see few good Rhino players. Those good players will utilize the rework, but your average Rhino player will just go hurrr durr gotta go fast with Iron skin. Or spam Stomp. That's not being remotely good. At all.

Just like Excal and his ult.

I'm not saying he's bad in any way, as when I used him before, I pulled myself out of some nasty situations. 

So what exactly are you saying? Because what your describing is a stereotype that has no exception to any other warframe in the game because there will always be unskilled players playing all of these warframes. I thought we were comparing two warframes not player behavior.

The point is that nearly any warframe can lead to poor use, there's no exception so it's up to the player to use it to the best of their ability.

Edited by Darkmoone1

You will probably have an easier time with Rhino early on, but I feel Oberon is by far the more interesting Warframe.

Just get your hands on a Rage mod, and Oberon will be fun to play for a long time. He's a great allrounder, and if you equip the Smite augment as well, there are only two things he doesn't have in his kit: invisibility and a mobility spell. Everything else is there.

What is the Rage Mod, and how do i get it

I main Oberon.

If you want a frame that requires zero effort to play and master, then Oberon isn't for you.

He's a brawler.

Run and gun, smite...jump, wall run, back flip, finisher, heal(3), run, reload, jump, 4, hack, finisher, shoot....that takes care of 1 room :)

If you want lazy, then oberon not for you. He's not for the slow thinkers/movers.

If you want to run around and not engage, then maybe a Nyx is more your flavor.

If you want an in your face, blood and guts flying everywhere and all over you experience. He's your guy.

He's a go go go go go until you extract the mission type frame....but in the end you'll have most kills, most damage, most revives and most fun.

That sounds like me (the guy whos leading the charge)

Well OP, you certainly have gotten votes both ways. I do not main either of these frames, though I do like both. So for what it is worth, here is my two cents. You can never be negatively impacted by having choice. Whether either frame becomes your main, fits your play style or whatever, it's never a bad thing to have options. Even if they sit in inventory after you've built and leveled them, one day you may be bored and just want to go goof off with a frame you don't normally play. Maybe you want to make one of them your "Archwing Frame" where you dig it out during Archwing missions. 

Another good point for options is that you never know what the future holds. There could be ground breaking changes implemented at any time for any frame by the developers and its nice to have them built and ready to go when it does happen. 

From my personal experiences in game. What others have said is pretty much on the money. Rhino is an easier beginner frame. His tankiness ensures that you survive some of your own mistakes during missions. Stomp and Iron Skin can pull your butt out of the fire if things get too hot. He can also take a hit better early on with fewer mods due to his base stats and Iron Skin. 

Oberon is definitely more of a finesse frame or frame that requires time to learn how his kit synergizes and with what mods. He can certainly hold his own and those players that main him can do just as well as any other frame out there. But you better believe they have invested the time and mods to become that skilled. It's not that all frames don't require skill, but frames like Rhino are easier to use in "panic mode" than others. LOL

My suggestion is keep both, but depending on where you are in the star chart, build Rhino first. He will help you survive some of the harder missions where Oberon may not without the proper modding and practice. I think you will find both fun in their own ways and it will be up to you to decide if either fits your play style or whether they will be "stress release" frames for when your main needs a break.

Well OP, you certainly have gotten votes both ways. I do not main either of these frames, though I do like both. So for what it is worth, here is my two cents. You can never be negatively impacted by having choice. Whether either frame becomes your main, fits your play style or whatever, it's never a bad thing to have options. Even if they sit in inventory after you've built and leveled them, one day you may be bored and just want to go goof off with a frame you don't normally play. Maybe you want to make one of them your "Archwing Frame" where you dig it out during Archwing missions.

Another good point for options is that you never know what the future holds. There could be ground breaking changes implemented at any time for any frame by the developers and its nice to have them built and ready to go when it does happen.

From my personal experiences in game. What others have said is pretty much on the money. Rhino is an easier beginner frame. His tankiness ensures that you survive some of your own mistakes during missions. Stomp and Iron Skin can pull your butt out of the fire if things get too hot. He can also take a hit better early on with fewer mods due to his base stats and Iron Skin.

Oberon is definitely more of a finesse frame or frame that requires time to learn how his kit synergizes and with what mods. He can certainly hold his own and those players that main him can do just as well as any other frame out there. But you better believe they have invested the time and mods to become that skilled. It's not that all frames don't require skill, but frames like Rhino are easier to use in "panic mode" than others. LOL

My suggestion is keep both, but depending on where you are in the star chart, build Rhino first. He will help you survive some of the harder missions where Oberon may not without the proper modding and practice. I think you will find both fun in their own ways and it will be up to you to decide if either fits your play style or whether they will be "stress release" frames for when your main needs a break.

Ok, ill keep that in mind.

Also, ive already got both building. Ove still got 56ish hours till they are done, and i just unloacked europa

Edited by (PS4)CommanderC2121

Oberon is the most boring frame I've ever played with, and the weakest (haven't tried out Limbo though). Leveling him up for mastery was painful. A little bouncing ball, a floor irradiation that doesn't do much, an overtime heal too weak to save you in any real battle, and an ult that deliver mediocre CC, is unreliable (you can't choose your targets from what I know, it randomly select the closest foes) and loses its restorative effect when it stops killing - which is, fast.

This is just my opinion, but while I can have fun with Rhino - not in a noob way -, this is not possible with Oberon.

What is the Rage Mod, and how do i get it

Rage converts damage to health into energy. With that and because Oberon can heal himself, you just never run out of energy. Therefore if done right, you can continously use all your abilities.

It drops from Napalms, sadly, so it can take a long time to get. Maybe you're better off trading for one.

Rage converts damage to health into energy. With that and because Oberon can heal himself, you just never run out of energy. Therefore if done right, you can continously use all your abilities.

It drops from Napalms, sadly, so it can take a long time to get. Maybe you're better off trading for one.

My lucks bad. Ill probably not even get something worthy of a trade for it

My lucks bad. Ill probably not even get something worthy of a trade for it

Not sure what people trade on PS4, but here on PC you can usually find people who trade plat for rare 5 Fusion Cores, and those aren't exactly hard to come by. Other than that, just get some of the new Prime parts. The mod is rare, but everyone only really needs one of it, so it shouldn't be too expensive to trade.

I see few good Rhino players. Those good players will utilize the rework, but your average Rhino player will just go hurrr durr gotta go fast with Iron skin. Or spam Stomp. That's not being remotely good. At all.

Just like Excal and his ult.

sadly yes.

Rhino now after rework is like a mega tanky excal and with cooldownless stomps it doesn't teach good gameplay which is why he has always been a controversial frame, his iron skin buff is amazing and now hes usable in the 300 range for a skilled rhino and his invinc on iron skin cast <3

But his buff just worsens some players skill even more by giving them a massive chunk of room for error.

Oberon tho... is like the weird kid nobody talks to :(

Edited by PainXGain

Not sure what people trade on PS4, but here on PC you can usually find people who trade plat for rare 5 Fusion Cores, and those aren't exactly hard to come by. Other than that, just get some of the new Prime parts. The mod is rare, but everyone only really needs one of it, so it shouldn't be too expensive to trade.

Ive got 35 rare cores. What does that sell for?

(I need 30 plat)

Oberon I five forma'd and never use him, while great for doing low level stuff...he really starts to fall off in the late game in effectiveness. Rhino, not sure...I am not a fan of slow frames so again I don't use him either; I was thinking of forma'ing rhino P this weekend but I ran out so yea ...if I want to tank, I use valk who is all forma'd up ready to rock. ;)

Edited by fizbit