Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ideas On Volt Rework

phantasmalWordsmith

So I’ve been mulling over Volt, one of my favourite frames, and how I’d give him a little touch up.  That is, if he was getting one, and my ideas were being used. I’ve tried to make sure its based on how DE seems to be trying to make skills synergise more, plus how they’re adding passives.

So for a Passive I’d add what I call a “Dynamo” function to Volt; movement acts as a dynamo that gives the player energy. Moving faster energy faster. There is an issue of scaling here since you wouldn’t want Volt to be able to chain together Speed all the time. So thankfully the Wikia has info for me to use. At base, Speed costs 25 energy and can be reduced to about 6 or 7 points with 75% efficiency, if you were to use Fleeting Expertise which would reduce the duration to 4 second. I can’t properly calculate the speed, but it would need to be that you earned maybe five energy points over those four seconds, which would mean a fixed energy regen rate of 0.2 energy for every meter travelled. This one is tricky and not something I can really do justice so this will stay as a rough idea for now. If anyone can refine it better or suggest a more suitable passive altogether, go ahead. 

Now an inherent problem with Volt is that he uses electrical damage which kind of suffers on a whole for being quite a non-useful element. And I don’t mean that its useless on a whole, its the most important for the really powerful elemental combos like radiation, corrosive and magnetic. I mean that its not great for damage while on its own in combat (something shock!Chroma suffers too) 

So I think there would have to be an improvement for electrical damage in general for Volt to really become a nice frame, but I’m not sure how to do that without disrupting the equilibrium of damage 2.0 too much. Electrical damage has a bonus against robotics and machinery so the best I could suggest is making it the “robotic” version of Toxin; Toxin bypasses through shields and does bonus damage on flesh, then Electricity damage could pass through shields and do bonus damage on robotics + machinery. 

Now comes the question of how to rework his abilities. I’d start by focusing on Electric Shield and building other skills around it. Electric shield already acts as an “effector” by boosting damage, projectile speed, range for weapons that shoot through it and also in PvP it can serve as a means to restore shields for allies when they run through it. Functionally, I’d say Electric Shield can remain as is, though it would be nice if the Conclave augment was allowed into PvE to grant some small over-shields, but what really needs to change is how other abilities influence it. 

So I’m thinking that if Shock’s behaviour changes when shot through a Electric Shield. When cast normally, its a instant stun for a small group of enemies, for a brief period. A mini panic button. A concern button. However, if it was shot into or through a Electric Shield, what could happen is that the electric shield could now release a continuous short range discharge of electricity that keeps an enemy stunned, similar to how Dirigia’s abilities work. 

With Speed, I’d like to say that if you were to pass through an electric shield with Speed active (whether you’re volt or another player), launches you in the direction the shield is facing. I call it “Riding The lightning”. Enemies caught in the path receive an electrical proc. This could make it a great way to transition from static gunplay to dynamic melee combat; imagine your team’s Valkyr launching through to get close to the enemy fast as possible, while also opening it up with a electrical stun.  This works best with Volt Prime since he has that armour boost which can make him into a less-than-stellar melee warframe. 

I should note that I think once a Electric Shield has a Shock shot through it, the Speed Jump / Lighting Riding should be negated or it can be available but causes a bit of self damage. This is so as to prevent you just piling it all on one shield. 

Overload is probably Volt’s least useful ability. Electricity doesn’t do enough damage, and its just a wide spread stun which leaves you very vulnerable during its casting time. Its been said that Overload needs some serious love. First, I’d make it so that casting Overload while Speed is active, would boost the casting speed and also how fast the Overload wave travels, maybe a little damage boost even. Second, I’d make it so that enemies cannot shoot through the overload wave while it travels, so it takes on properties of Electric Shield. 

This last change to Overload is a bit of a risky one that I’m not sure about but I think it might work; making overload toggle based. When its toggled on, it has a charge up and then releases multiple waves over a period of time. One, a pause, then another, a pause… And of course you’d need a heavy cost to balance it. And I mean heavy, since some toggle abilities can be made to last for stupid amounts of time with the right mods. Another balancing feature would be to make a gap between waves that allows enemies to shoot through at the very immobile Volt. 

And with all of that said, I’m not sure we’ll see a Volt rework for quite some time. I’m not sure who’s due a rework next but I know its not Volt though he has been mentioned before in a DevStream plus they have stated they want all frames to have a unique passive so we’ll see those come eventually. 

So these Let me know what you think of course.

Okay I like your ideas and I am also volt user had volt and volt prime forma the heck out of normal volt and now working on my Volt prime but here is my take on Volt

for a a passive we all know how squishy volt is but something that always protected me apart from electric shield was the electric procs mechanics

So here in my turn make electric procs last longer ...pretty helpful passive and not to broken quiet simple and almost all volt skill can procs including speed with his helpful augmentation

for shock the only change I would give it is a detonate(this take your weapons mods into question to increase the detonate amount maybe?)

mechanic enemy shock once and still remain shocked again will detonate being dealt extra damage.

Enemy detonated will receive damage and enemy around the detonated enemy will suffer knockdown and receive splash damage.

Good CC and good synergies with the passive

for speed I like your idea on regarding increasing the casting speed of powers very helpful boost.so I can say that's good synergy but I would like to add a little bit more to it.

here is my take on it allies also gain casting speed as well.is a team skill why not share the effect with the allies

Now for electric shield I like the synergy your going with this...so it those what electric shield does which is protect and increase damage.

But I do like how you bring speed into this I like the idea that speed mix with shield will fire you in the direction.But instead of just electic proc I say we also give it the volt power str increase and damage protection for some sec.

as for shock being shot through the shield electrifies the ground and is stackable and last half the shield duration.Of course affected by the natural range of shock how far it goes

AS GOT OVERLOAD

This one was a bit harder for me.....Mainly because of the name

If you overload something it tends to release the excess energy.

if you overload something it tends to break

If you overload something it tends to shutdown.

so this is the mechanic while leaving the animation aside here is what I want to work with

Overload as it hits enemy-if overload strike an enemy it gets electric procs that the usuall mechanic now what I wish to add if it strike a flesh enemy like corpus grineer infested humanoid/monsters they will begin to release little overloads of themselves but this one electric provs and if the enemy is electric procs detonate

Now if overload hits mechanical things and it doesn't kill them it will inversably shut them down.Example we look at a Moa Hit by overload if overload takes it out its shield and hits health the MoA will loose to function and will require a corpus to come to it to activated again or a timer to be activated once again

Overload as it hits utilities well we know that utilities around the map as it get hits by overload release the excess energy and overload cannot work again...How about we also make them blow up and we also make it that if enemy electric procs and an explosion happends  they get radition procs...if they are not electric procs and an explosion happened they get fire procs

Overload as it hits again so this is really the only mechanic on overload I want...if it is casted again utilities that did not blow up(if they add it) they get recharge so that once overload is casted again it produces the same effect as if it is 1st hitting

Overload as it hits the tile set-Now I am not sure about you but I feel like if overload is cast on a ship it should affect the temperature I mean s electricity casting it one a flruing ship should either ruin the ship by causing fire or ruin it by allowing freezing because the thermostats got damage.

and well that about it for my idea but feel free to take some I did decide to got a bit all out and I can see how I might have overdone it.....(get it)