The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

High Lvl Serration Mod: Srsly De?

Namacyst

Was trying to get Serration from lvl9 --> lvl10

Used some of every mod type i had, the last of my Fusion cores and stuff... stopped at 1600 Mods and did not fuse because it's rediculous.

Evolution0008.jpg

For that amount of mods and credits you can get Hornet Strike from unranked to max lvl and it's even better in the end than Serration.

DE.. please fix!

Edited by Namacyst

And.. how realistic is that? Finding 1024 Serration mods? Because using other mods doesn't do S#&$, Fusion cores you find only go max lvl 5 rare and are, as the name says, rare as F***. And even if you use uncommon lvl 10 fc from update 6 transfer u would need 120 of them.

You don't really need max Serration or Hornet Strike, they are more of a long term goal. I really don't see a problem with it.

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. 

I like looking forward to things and not desperately rushing.

Just taking it easy one fusion core or duplicate at a time.  

Meanwhile the melee damage increase mod is pretty pathetic and can be maxed quite easily, caps out at 49%. It needs a pretty hefty buff.

Totally unrelated to op.

Edited by f3llyn

Max'd Serration is not necessary in the slightest. I'd argue that anything above rank 10 is just straight-up min-maxing. It's meant to be a difficult goal to reach with a decent benefit. I have a maxed Serration, and I'll admit it took a lot of fusion cores to get there. I'm working on a second one now, too, at rank 10 currently.

It doesn't really need fixing.

I restrict rare lvl 5 cores to my serration, everything else goes into leveling the lower end mods I have at my disposal. There's no rush to get everything in existence maxed out. Enjoy the game and try not to achieve everything in 5 minutes, trust me you'll have more fun that way.

Meanwhile the melee damage increase mod is pretty pathetic and can be maxed quite easily, caps out at 49%. It needs a pretty heft buff.

Totally unrelated to op.

Actually no. Melee has tons of things which make it viable in other areas which explains the lackluster ability, not to mention there's no ammo requirement which further sets them apart from ranged weapons.

Yeah, mods with high ranks (Redirection, Serration, etc.) take FAR too long to level up.

They do take ages to level yes, but you can easily run all high level missions without having them maxed out. The only time you will really want them if your want to get to some rediculous wave number on endless defense.

Edited by Shifty_Shuffler

Actually no. Melee has tons of things which make it viable in other areas which explains the lackluster ability, not to mention there's no ammo requirement which further sets them apart from ranged weapons.

Risk vs. reward. Melee weapons offer the most risk yet don't offer equal or better reward.

Going melee against infested means you stand a damn good chance of being stun locked and poisoned to death, or having your energy sapped.

Going ranged means you can stand on a crate and pick them off at your leisure.

What this has to do with mods? Specifically melee damage not (not charge speed/damage, which is fine for the most part) is completely outdated even at max mod level by the time you reach mid to late tier missions. And I'm not talking about endless defense.

Edited by f3llyn

Meanwhile the melee damage increase mod is pretty pathetic and can be maxed quite easily, caps out at 49%. It needs a pretty heft buff.

Totally unrelated to op.

Guns don't have Charge and Coup de Grace attacks like Melee Weapons do.

My Glaive with a Rank2 Killing Blow mod does 700 with a Coup de Grace.

You want to boost it up to Serration/Hornet Strike levels? lol?

I guess I can just jump kick everything and then smack em when they're on the ground and one-shot everything then.

Risk vs. reward. Melee weapons offer the most risk yet don't offer equal or better reward.

Going melee against infested means you stand a damn good chance of being stun locked and poisoned to death, or having your energy sapped.

What this has to do with mods? Specifically melee damage not (not charge speed/damage, which is fine for the most part) is completely outdated even at max level by the time you reach mid to late tier missions. And I'm not talking about endless defense.

Someone has never used a Scindo, Fragor, Gram, or Glaive.

These weapons do _ridiculous_ damage when used right.

Boosting them up to Serration/Hornet Strike levels would basically be one-hit kills on everything while not needing any ammo.

I guess I can just jump kick everything and then smack em when they're on the ground and one-shot everything then.

They're talking about Pressure Point, not Killing Blow. Killing Blow is fine. I don't really know what I feel about Pressure Point, personally.

Someone has never used a Scindo, Fragor, Gram, or Glaive.

These weapons do _ridiculous_ damage when used right.

Boosting them up to Serration/Hornet Strike levels would basically be one-hit kills on everything while not needing any ammo.

Funny you guys get on my case for "not knowing what I'm talking about" yet don't know the difference when I say MELEE DAMAGE and assume I mean charge speed/damage. Protip, melee damage and charge damage are two completely different damage types.

MELEE hit weapons (IE, ones that don't use charge mods) are under par at higher levels.

Good job on picking out the 3 highest charge damage weapons in the game, though.

Edited by f3llyn

Funny you guys get on my case for "not knowing what I'm talking about" yet don't know the difference when I say MELEE DAMAGE and assume I mean charge speed/damage. Protip, melee damage and charge damage are two completely different damage types.

MELEE hit weapons (IE, ones that don't use charge mods) are under par at higher levels.

Good job on picking out the 3 highest charge damage weapons in the game, though.

OK.

Even without Charge Damage....

You're telling me you want a Scindo that does 125 Base Damage (+150%), every swing, to multiple targets?

Before Elemental Damage?

If Pressure Point were boosted to 150%, a Scindo with Pressure Point + North Wind + Molten Impact + Shocking Touch, all maxed, assuming no Armor/Armor Pierce would do a whopping:

125 Base Damage + 90% from Molten Impact = 237.5 Damage.

125 Base Damage + 60% from North Wind = 200 Damage.

125 Base Damage + 30% from Shocking Touch = 162.5 Damage

Add them up: 600 Damage Per Swing to Multiple Mobs.

........ya. Overpowered.

OK.

Even without Charge Damage....

You're telling me you want a Scindo that does 125 Base Damage (+150%), every swing, to multiple targets?

Before Elemental Damage?

If Pressure Point were boosted to 150%, a Scindo with Pressure Point + North Wind + Molten Impact + Shocking Touch, all maxed, assuming no Armor/Armor Pierce would do a whopping:

125 Base Damage + 90% from Molten Impact = 237.5 Damage.

125 Base Damage + 60% from North Wind = 200 Damage.

125 Base Damage + 30% from Shocking Touch = 162.5 Damage

Add them up: 600 Damage Per Swing to Multiple Mobs.

........ya. Overpowered.

Guess what else. Armor. Higher level enemies have it.

And why are you focusing on the scindo? One of the weapons that is not intended to be used as a melee damage weapon? There are 30 other melee weapons in the game, yeah?

Edited by f3llyn

Guess what else. Armor. Higher level enemies have it.

OK, Fine. You want that?

It takes 42 Mod Slots to get what I theorized just now.

That means we have 18 more left!

Let's add a beautiful mod called Sundering Strike to that. It gives 90% Armor Piercing Damage. As we all know, APD acts just like Elemental Damage, only it does More Damage to More Armor in the same way that Freeze does extra damage against Shields.

Feel free to add another 237.5 Damage to that whole mess.

And a Heavy Grineer, according to Wiki, takes 300% of this damage to his head and 150% of this damage to his body. So... not counting all the other damage this Scindo would do, you get GUARANTEED 355 damage against a Heavy Grineer's body. That's JUST the Armor Piercing Damage. That's not counting the weapon's Base Damage, or the 3 Elemental Damages.

Edited by Xylia

And why are you focusing on the scindo? One of the weapons that is not intended to be used as a melee damage weapon? There are 30 other melee weapons in the game, yeah?

What?

A Scindo is not intended to be used as a melee damage weapon? Wut?

Oh, and Gram and Fragor also do 50 base damage too. These numbers would be the exact same for them too because we're not counting charge damage.

The reason I'm picking out Gram, Scindo, and Fragor is because if we're going to talk theoretical numbers and whether or not they'd be overpowered, then we simply need to grab the highest damage weapon and go "Is this Overpowered?"

Why, yes, it would be VERY overpowered.

So what do we do... make a special exception for JUST the Scindo/Gram/Fragor?

What this has to do with mods? Specifically melee damage not (not charge speed/damage, which is fine for the most part) is completely outdated even at max level by the time you reach mid to late tier missions. And I'm not talking about endless defense.

I don't agree with you...but I will point out that you're right at least about damage being pretty different when it comes to required effectiveness in a high leveled area. 

This is going to require me to be objective so, keep in mind that I'm only attempting to present to you, and whomever you're arguing with what at least makes you correct when it comes to damage as far as being practical to the level of a gun goes.

From the start a gun has requirements it must meet in order to work on the level guns frankly are supposed to work in the situations they are used. One hit to kill is ideal, or at the very least do enough damage so that you don't run into the following problems:

1. Enemy getting close before it dies.

2. Running out of ammunition before you are finished fighting the amount of beings you are fighting.

3. Not doing enough damage to kill.

If mob can get uncomfortably close to you while you are shooting at it (This of course depends on the kind of range the gun is supposed to allow to you), and you have to be able to kill more than one of said mob at anytime, it does not matter if you kill the single mob. Your gun is inefficient. 

If a mob is doing more damage to you than you are, your gun is inefficient.

It only gets simpler from there.

However a melee weapon is generally accepted to have slightly different requirements. It can be designed to protect you, create openings for you, just as much as it can be designed to kill something. That said melee weapons can have a little more leeway than guns do when it comes to a satisfactory experience.

1. Due to the enemy already being close, the idea is to not be stricken by said enemy. This goes for singular and multiples.

2. You have a higher need for your enemy to either die, and/or be unable to cause you harm.

3. You must also do enough damage to lead to death.

The way this game is set up, this is even more-so true...merely because your primary weapon is a longer ranged weapon than your melee weapon. The melee weapon effectively takes the position of the 'last resort' with the assumption that you have exhausted all other possible options and must use your melee weapon. Therefore...the game is built around the idea that a melee weapon need only do enough damage to finish something off, or at the very least keep the enemy in range for the sake of new options or situations.

You'll notice that swords in this game have stun mods, fire rate increasing mods, and possesses other mods that would allow for the work of the sword to be easier only if you perform at the level necessary for what you're trying to kill. The same goes for guns.

Guns and swords have very different performance costs to begin with. A sword takes more effort on an average level than a gun does at an average level without talk of overpowered, and underpowered relative opinions. This means the next to minimum requirements both weapons have in order to kill a mob without being touched. Nothing more, nothing less.

In order for a sword to perform at the exact effectiveness of a gun. A sword must one shot and it must have reach. That is because there is no talk of guns having the ability to charge. They only have their singular hits and the crits that spawn from them.

So yes. In order for a sword to perform on the level a gun should in the exact situation that a gun would be in if the range was exactly the same for a sword...It would need much higher damage. This is a matter of efficiency also if you feel you should be able to race through a map at a certain speed. As a matter of fact the requirements become higher just because of that shift in play style.

Compared to a gun, is the damage output is indeed lower par.

One hit of a projectile is not equal to one hit of a melee swing.

But because of the requirements one needs to meet with a sword for this game in the first place--- objectively, without any expectations in time so much as simply survival against multiple targets, this is a moot point.

That's why I don't agree with you. 

That and...when you're fighting a toxic the danger isn't so much in whether or not you can kill it, so much as whether or not you can do what you need to do, and get out of the poison. You can have high damage enough to oneshot it and not die, but then you can also have a survivable enough build to handle the poison and kill the thing just in time to get out of the poison so it can wear off, rather than be continuous.

Not to mention...Relying on normal hits only to handle an enemy, the way this game is designed, is inefficient for a melee weapon to begin with...Why would you need to have your normal melee attacks hit hard enough to one-shot something? What position have you been in where it was absolutely necessary for you to one-shot, and you had used your brain correctly in the first place?

You are trying to be more powerful than you need to be.

And in an objective argument about damage you would naturally pick the highest damaging weapon of the class you're speaking of in order to determine if the damage is not enough for it to handle the situation you speak of.

It does not matter if any weapons below the quality of damage  the strongest one is capable of does not add up. There are multiple weapons because there are different needs. Since this current need is 'Do adequate damage', it's only common sense to assume you have the best item you could use in the situation. 

The weapon its self in that regard has little to do with this argument otherwise.

If it did we'd be talking about weapons being under-powered, not the damage multiplier of the mods you use on them.

Edit : Now. Lets all get back on topic. Because that argument was completely off topic.

Edited by Hauteclere