Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rise Of The Tomb Raider Sort-Of Review Update: Cold Darkness

(XBOX)Grihaly

I'm just gonna jump right into it, 9/10 good damn game. There were quite a few parts where it mirrored the first game (meaning the 2013 reboot) like the order you acquire your weapons, falling a lot of falling, and the last large section of the game you're fighting more immortal ancients, though this time it's Greeks and not Japs. My one true complaint is suppressors cannot be removed, but they could in the first game, so it's a step down? I hate suppressors, but I have to have them to (eventually) get 100% completion, honestly though, slapping a suppressor on a Desert Eagle looks stupid, but putting one on a revolver is just plain ridiculous. Hopefully they'll become a toggle in the future, but for now, it is what it is. There are new forms of traversing the map, you now can use your climbing ax as rope, or a swing (every time I swing with it I think "throw me the idol!") and you can use arrows to climb soft wooden patches, though you don't get those til later in the game. I was a little disappointed with the lack of time in Syria, the promotions made it seem like the game would be about 1/4 maybe even 1/3 there, and the rest in Siberia... Total time spent in Syria is about 25 minutes, if you take your time. I'll try to be as spoiler-free as possible, the ending didn't completely wrap things up, nor was it sequel bait. I can't wait for the Baba Yaga (not sure if I'm spelling that right) dlc to come out... I'm excited about dlc, so that tells ya something good. I'll be looking forward to a sequel, (which apparently it was leaked at Gamescon that a third game in the series is currently in development) I'd like to see where they go next with the story. One final note: if you liked the first one, you'll definitely like this one too!

EDIT: 100% completed it, finished it on Survivor difficulty, and had a lot of fun doing it!

Update 29/12/15:  Endurance mode, it's a neat idea, but again you start with the bare minimum. And because accelerated time; if you don't feed Lara every 5 minutes you start starving to death (taking slow, constant damage until eventually dying... Or you eat and refill the meter) you also freeze extremely fast, however, in caves your warmth meter does not deplete, and it's slower during the day. And there is no map, so finding shelter is based on luck. It's fun if you're into the hardcore survival gamemodes.

Update 26/1/16: The Baba Yaga dlc released today, it was fun. Felt a little short, but still good. It says it takes 3 hours, to me it was more like 2. Anyway, it's definitely worth the $10 price. One thing that IMO was a little weak, once you finish it, every document and survival cache of the Wicked Vale (dlc location) automatically appears on your map, no exploring necessary. You also get a new outfit and bow from it, along with half a dozen achievements/trophies that correspond with them. The story of the dlc itself was good, not as good as the main story, as it is just a dlc. There is one plot twist to it that you can see coming from a mile away, provided you've found most of the documents, or have seen enough movies and played enough games to accurately predict the future.

Update 29/3/16: Let's talk about Cold Darkness... Most dlcs I'm on one side of the coin or the other. I like it, or I don't like it (for example: I don't like Endurance mode, but I do like the Baba Yaga story expansion) but Cold Darkness I'm mixed on. I like it, but I can't see myself replaying it for anything other than to get the rest of the achievements. Alright, so, backstory: Some Russki made this super-drug (they call it a toxin, but let's be real here, dude was trying to make military-grade steroids) that amplifies testosterone to make the soldiers more powerful/aggressive. Well it backfired and turned the test subjects into basically zombies. Fast-forward 30 years and the remnant Trinity soldiers in Siberia find the place and reactivate it, not knowing what would happen. Lara must destroy the refinery where the gas is coming from before it seeps into the geothermal valley (where all the natives live) and does the same to them. Now the atmosphere of Cold Darkness is interesting. It's dark, sun never rises (it's supposed to take place within just a couple of hours, but you can take as much time as a you want) and the zombies are abundant. Their vision is terrible, but they have acute hearing and investigate/attack based on sound. (Aliens much?) There's also side objectives like freeing prisoners, finding weapon, etc. and you have a chopper overhead looking for this stuff, piloted by Sophia (from the story) and this other one named Nadia, whom I don't remember at all, but I think she was in the Baba Yaga dlc, Sophia never even speaks (couldn't get her voice actress, I would assume) and somehow knows how fly a helicopter. There's 3 towers you have to shut down before hitting the main area. This is where what I like about Cold Darkness kicks in. Each tower has 4 different systems (water, toxin, radiation, and heat) with 3 different means of activation (pull a lever, crank a wheel, connect a conduit) and based of any number of things will determine what you have to do. For example if there are more than 10 fuses in the 3 fuse boxes (10 total) you connect the radiation system conduit, if not, crank the toxin system wheel. If you get it right the tower shuts down, move on with the mission, if not, the zombies come at you, a lot of them, then you have to try again if you survive. The towers felt a bit like tombs, with the added bonus of danger if you make a mistake. The zombie types are a bit simplistic, there's the basic zombies, nothing important to say about them. About halfway through you start seeing berserkers (I think that's the official name for them) who have helmets and carry a big stick with a blade on the end, made of debris. They're tougher, but a well-places shot still drops them in one hit. In the final area along with the basic and berserkers, you start fighting shielded zombies, they're the same as the shielded soldiers in the story, but zombiefied. In the main tower you fight the three types whilst destroying the fuel pumps, and be warned, you will run out of ammo. They just don't stop, some of them even start throwing grenades! That's where I started feeling like "okay, this is getting repetitive and irritating. RotTR is a 3rd person action-adventure game, not a 3PS. Yes, there are guns, but they are just an element of the game." I do feel though, that this dlc is also worth getting the season pass.

Edited by (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly
Updates.

Thank you Grizz for the review. I loved the Tomb Raider definitive edition and was really excited when I heard the release but was disappointed it was XBox only exclusive and coming to PS4 later 2016. Not holding my breath though as there are plenty of games to try. I would be interested to know the online game mode if its similar to the first. I tried it but didn't really like it.

Thank you Grizz for the review. I loved the Tomb Raider definitive edition and was really excited when I heard the release but was disappointed it was XBox only exclusive and coming to PS4 later 2016. Not holding my breath though as there are plenty of games to try. I would be interested to know the online game mode if its similar to the first. I tried it but didn't really like it.

There is no multiplayer in this one. I never tried it in Tomb Raider, but I'm assuming it didn't do too good if it's not even in the sequel xD

There is a mode called 'Expeditions' not really sure what it is, I still have have to check it out. From the looks of it you can replay sections of the game (in score attack, replay it with the gear you had then, or replay with the gear you have now) and another sounds like it's a horde mode, but again: I haven't tried that yet. All of them can be modified with cards, that you can buy from the store (in-game credits or real money) some make it harder (improve score) some make it easier (decrease score) and some are just goofy and do not affect your score. You get packs of these cards throughout the campaign, along with credits with which to buy them. (I haven't bought any, and I'm sitting on a pile of 170k credits)

There is no multiplayer in this one. I never tried it in Tomb Raider, but I'm assuming it didn't do too good if it's not even in the sequel xD

There is a mode called 'Expeditions' not really sure what it is, I still have have to check it out. From the looks of it you can replay sections of the game (in score attack, replay it with the gear you had then, or replay with the gear you have now) and another sounds like it's a horde mode, but again: I haven't tried that yet. All of them can be modified with cards, that you can buy from the store (in-game credits or real money) some make it harder (improve score) some make it easier (decrease score) and some are just goofy and do not affect your score. You get packs of these cards throughout the campaign, along with credits with which to buy them. (I haven't bought any, and I'm sitting on a pile of 170k credits)

Thanks a lot for all this great info! Have fun!

I tried out the Expeditions, they're okay, but just that (haven't done score attack yet) that one that sounded like Horde, oh boy was I off! All you do is 5 little objectives and you're done, ranging from hostage rescue, to HVT elimination and killing bears, all with minimal weapons, and no perks/skills if you have the cards for them, you can use them, but most of them are one-time use. Not as fun as I thought it would be. But you can create your own 'missions' which is cool.

Endurance mode launched today, it's a neat idea, but again you start with the bare minimum. And because accelerated time; if you don't feed Lara's fat @ss every 5 minutes you start starving to death (taking slow, constant damage until eventually dying... Or you eat and refill the meter) you also freeze extremely fast, and there is no map, so finding shelter is based on luck. Health doesn't regenerate. Ever. Not even on the lower difficulties, this I could agree with, if food/fire regenerated health, but it doesn't. I'm sure once I get used to it I'll enjoy it more, but for now I need finish off my skills and weapon upgrades in the main game. I already have 100% completion, but for whatever reason those don't count toward it.

I tried out the Expeditions, they're okay, but just that (haven't done score attack yet) that one that sounded like Horde, oh boy was I off! All you do is 5 little objectives and you're done, ranging from hostage rescue, to HVT elimination and killing bears, all with minimal weapons, and no perks/skills if you have the cards for them, you can use them, but most of them are one-time use. Not as fun as I thought it would be. But you can create your own 'missions' which is cool.

Endurance mode launched today, it's a neat idea, but again you start with the bare minimum. And because accelerated time; if you don't feed Lara's fat @ss every 5 minutes you start starving to death (taking slow, constant damage until eventually dying... Or you eat and refill the meter) you also freeze extremely fast, and there is no map, so finding shelter is based on luck. Health doesn't regenerate. Ever. Not even on the lower difficulties, this I could agree with, if food/fire regenerated health, but it doesn't. I'm sure once I get used to it I'll enjoy it more, but for now I need finish off my skills and weapon upgrades in the main game. I already have 100% completion, but for whatever reason those don't count toward it.

http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/ashleynicolenavarro102397ashleybrik/AshleyStuff/Bloodbornetrade_20151229230439_zpsqxfkacch.mp4

Sorry Grizz. I'm trying to post a video response with emotes and the media bbc code doesn't seem to work. Could that media code work for youtube videos only? Can't figure out why only links show and not the video to click on?

This would be my taunting video. Do you like it? I'll look for something to do with Warframe.

http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/ashleynicolenavarro102397ashleybrik/AshleyStuff/Bloodbornetrade_20151229230153_zpsnf4lyze8.mp4

Edited by (PS4)makrisbrik

http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/ashleynicolenavarro102397ashleybrik/AshleyStuff/Bloodbornetrade_20151229230439_zpsqxfkacch.mp4

Sorry Grizz. I'm trying to post a video response with emotes and the media bbc code doesn't seem to work. Could that media code work for youtube videos only? Can't figure out why only links show and not the video to click on?

This would be my taunting video. Do you like it? I'll look for something to do with Warframe.

http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/ashleynicolenavarro102397ashleybrik/AshleyStuff/Bloodbornetrade_20151229230153_zpsnf4lyze8.mp4

Lol

There used to be a thread on how to format bbc codes, but it appears to have been deleted...

Lol

There used to be a thread on how to format bbc codes, but it appears to have been deleted...

I took the codes out and the link works. 

You Loled is it because of my inability to post the video or you found my voice annoying, or you found my taunt funny, you didn't like my Bloodborne character, or all of the above? :(    I'll see how I can edit videos. Thanks again for the excellent review!

You can embed a youtube video by just typing the link.

Thanks, Lone Arkangel. I did that and the link works. But I wanted to have the video displayed where you can click it. I guess its a youtube thing with displaying thumbnails. 

I took the codes out and the link works. 

You Loled is it because of my inability to post the video or you found my voice annoying, or you found my taunt funny, you didn't like my Bloodborne character, or all of the above? :(    I'll see how I can edit videos. Thanks again for the excellent review!

I lol'd because I thought the videos were funny xP