The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rapier And Excalibur

MichaelSD

Question

A rapier is nothing different from a sword. You're going to be stabbing with a sword more than slashing anyway.

YES, add it to excel's spreadsheet.

A rapier is strictly a piercing weapon, where as most swords are slashing weapons. They are very different in weighting as well as fighting style.

Edited by Rheoidegen

Given Excalibur's status and whatnot, it would make sense for long/dual swords as well as nikanas. But a rapier is completely different, so... No.

This^

Anyone who says a rapier is the same as a nikana doesn't understand what a rapiers fighting style is compared to the swords Excalibur uses. Rapiers excel at stabbing motions- their more like a one- handed, long bladed spear then a sword. When have you ever seen any move that Excalibur does, naturaly, done as a stabbing motion? He does slashing motions, and no, two swords over one isn't that drastic a change compared to changing from slashing to stabbing.

Him using a rapier would completely destroy the sense of his fighting style.

A rapier is nothing different from a sword. You're going to be stabbing with a sword more than slashing anyway.

YES, add it to excel's spreadsheet.

No, you aren't. Definitly not. Not in any asian arts, anyway. Which is what Excalibur exemplifies.

Also, note- I'm actually qualified to speak on this topic because I've been studying martial arts for 13 years, 3-4 or so of which have been weapons.

Rapiers = stabbing

The arts and swords Excalibur uses, are ALL slashing. If you told a asian sword user to use a rapier, they would have no idea what to do with it. And neither would excalibur, lore wise anyway.

Edited by DrakeArron

A rapier is strictly a piercing weapon, where as most swords are slashing weapons. They are very different in weighting as well.

Good luck trying to cut anything down with a sword that isn't a katana style. You stab. It's fast, easy, it gets the job done better than slashing.

Look, there's no reason to not add it to excalibur's arsenal other than "i don't feel like it". TBH all melees should be in excalibur's arsenal. He is the quintessential melee character in this game. Why not?

This^

Anyone who says a rapier is the same as a nikana doesn't understand what a rapiers fighting style is compared to the swords Excalibur uses. Rapiers excel at stabbing motions- their more like a one- handed, long bladed spear then a sword. When have you ever seen any move that Excalibur does, naturaly, done as a stabbing motion? He does slashing motions, and no, two swords over one isn't that drastic a change compared to changing from slashing to stabbing.

Him using a rapier would completely destroy the sense of his fighting style.

No, you aren't. Definitly not. Not in any asian arts, anyway. Which is what Excalibur exemplifies.

Also, note- I'm actually qualified to speak on this topic because I've been studying martial arts for 13 years, 3-4 or so of which have been weapons.

Rapiers = stabbing

The arts and swords Excalibur uses, are ALL slashing. If you told a asian sword user to use a rapier, they would have no idea what to do with it. And neither would excalibur, lore wise anyway.

Because Excalibur is such an Asian name...

Good luck trying to cut anything down with a sword that isn't a katana style. You stab. It's fast, easy, it gets the job done better than slashing.

Look, there's no reason to not add it to excalibur's arsenal other than "i don't feel like it". TBH all melees should be in excalibur's arsenal. He is the quintessential melee character in this game. Why not?

YES. EXACTLY. "Anything that isn't a katana style". Or Chinese dual swords. Both of which are what Excalibur uses. NOT anything that stabs. Show me one move where excalibur stabs.

Uhm?.. I use swords for practice in real life, and if I wanted I could easily cut things down. As an addition I use rapiers, and they are horribly different in style.

Ehrm? No. Not all melee weapons should be added to his arsenal. He is a SWORDSMAN.

Because Excalibur is such an Asian name...

And? His name haas nothing to do with it. It has to do with what sword style hes useing. My name is peter, but I'm better at asian weapons then rapiers.

Uhm?.. I use swords for practice in real life, and if I wanted I could easily cut things down. As an addition I use rapiers, and they are horribly different in style.

Ehrm? No. Not all melee weapons should be added to his arsenal. He is a SWORDSMAN.

This. Your useing the wrong argument. The only reason to add anything more to his weapons is IF you "feel like it" because you'd like him to have more weapons. Lore- wise it doesn't make any sense to add anything more.

And? His name haas nothing to do with it. It has to do with what sword style hes useing. My name is peter, but I'm better at asian weapons then rapiers.

Just saying, Excalibur isn't entirely based on Asian swords, Europe had curved one edged swords too.

@Rheoidegen

Well, for one, I can't verify whether you do practice with swords in real life but I can tell you you can still easily stab with a sword.

And the rapier is a sword.

rapier (/ˈreɪpiər/) is a slender, sharply pointed sword, best suited for thrusting attacks, used mainly in Early Modern Europeduring the 16th and 17th centuries.

Sigh who even cares? The new weapon's super meh anyway.

This is true, and you CAN, however it is not Excalibur's style. So! Once more, I must refuse.

Just saying, Excalibur isn't entirely based on Asian swords, Europe had curved one edged swords too.

Fair, fair. But still- he certainly doesn't use anything that stabs- it's completely against his style.

Finishers with his ulti. Radial javelin.

@Rheoidegen

Well, for one, I can't verify whether you do practice with swords in real life but I can tell you you can still easily stab with a sword.

And the rapier is a sword.

rapier (/ˈrpiər/) is a slender, sharply pointed sword, best suited for thrusting attacks, used mainly in Early Modern Europeduring the 16th and 17th centuries.

Sigh who even cares? The new weapon's super meh anyway.

Umm. Both of us actually use weapons. You don't. Yes, its a sword. No, it doesn't use the same fighting style. It uses a COMPLETELY different fighting style. One stab? That's all you have? Seriously, rapiers are not the same as the swords we're talking about. You'd know that if you ever actually fought with both of them.

And this is why it should be part of his passive. A rapier is a type of sword and Excalibur is the sword themed frame, not the "slashing melee weapon" themed frame. 

No, it should not as he is to a certain type of sword. Do you think of a swordsman as wielding a Scindo P? Hows about Galatine? God no! So the same goes for rapiers.

And this is why it should be part of his passive. A rapier is a type of sword and Excalibur is the sword themed frame, not the "slashing melee weapon" themed frame. 

By swordsman, he meant a slashing sword. Not the stabbing kind. Completely different weapons.

Of course, all of this is futile anyway, because the Dev's KNOW this, and we've already put up enough of a fight that they know there would be a lot of upset people if it was implemented. Which means they won't.

Umm. Both of us actually use weapons. You don't. Yes, its a sword. No, it doesn't use the same fighting style. It uses a COMPLETELY different fighting style. One stab? That's all you have? Seriously, rapiers are not the same as the swords we're talking about. You'd know that if you ever actually fought with both of them.

Well he may, and he doesn't know if we do either. So.. Don't go throwing things that may not be true around.

Well he may, and he doesn't know if we do either. So.. Don't go throwing things that may not be true around.

I admit you're right on that, my apologies, I can get a bit over- zelous. I just really doubt he does, because if he did he would have brought it up by now. If anyone wanted I could atempt to post photos of my black belt certificate (certified by the offical asian branch of martial arts), as well as my Boken, a wooden sword (which is actually recognized as a weapon now, though it was originally just a training weapon).

While I'm here, you also bring up a good point in that even if someone did post a photo of a certificate, you'd still have to verify it before trusting it- many people in america just buy there certificates online, and then use them to justify training others, then giving them certificates too- which means there are a lot of not- really- real ones out there.

Edited by DrakeArron