Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: A Cover Shooter?

Avarcaness

The problem of "just crouch" is that many rooms lack waist-high objects. Most objects one would use to take cover behind are at least as tall as yourself, as most areas have guardrails that do NOT act as cover (bullets go through them).

With objects as tall as yourself, it'd be nice if you can lean around them and fire a few shots to lessen the sheer amount of pew-pew when the game gives you 30 Corpus in a room all with automatic laser guns who never need to reload.

But no, there's no cover system. So to shoot, you have to expose your ENTIRE body (otherwise, you'll end up shooting the crate half of the time) to incoming fire instead of leaning out just slightly. Crouching will not help you when the object you're taking cover with is a crate, or a wall.

And I don't want to hide behind the wall 100% of the time, no. But SOMETIMES would be nice when the game just gets too ridiculous with incoming fire. I don't like having to sprint to the previous room just to regen my shields and then come back and kill a couple more, rinse repeat.

Oh, and Ninjas used anything they could to give themselves the advantage, which included the environment. You don't think they sprinted down a hallway while on their stealth missions? No, they would make short and silent dashes between objects to hide behind to stay out of sight, leaning around said objects to look before going, to make sure there were no guards/people who might see them.

Edited by Xylia

I don't see how these are mutually exclusive. People are saying that the game would become too easy.  Maybe removing a few of those mods would make the game harder no?  You say the game is easy but don't change your layout to make it harder for yourself.  The only time someone should say the game is too easy is when they can Solo every boss and every mission without dying once and reaching 50+ on Defence with no mods added what so ever.

I don't see the problem with cover mechanics.  Half the objects you think you should be able to take cover behind, you can't and half of the other have something behind them which screws up the 3rd Person Camera cause DE haven't added in the system where you character will go transparent in the camera is too close making aiming impossible.

Also, why would an activate cover base system (press x to take cover) ruin the game for the people who don't want it? its pretty simple.  Don't press x. Or better yet unbind the key completely.  There are many times where I want to be able to stick to an object or quickly transition between two when playing solo on the harder missions. 1000+ shields doesn't last as long as I would like it on the harder missions.  So being able to take cover would be nice.  As long as the AI doesn't derp and suddenly not able to hit you at all or see you.  But if you are in cover it should be harder for the AI to spot you then if you were in the open.

I would personally like cover mechanics as an option as there are those that don't want it.  But then again I have always liked slower based game play.

And to those that say "Enemies should become stupid OP when you are in Cover".  What a way to drive paying players AWAY from the game.  You know the people who will support the game? Money that DE wants / needs? You would rather drive away a portion of the Player base because you don't like a mechanic that should be optional?

Well, I'll redo this post later...

But I agree with most of you about having the "option" of taking cover. For example, you run behind a crate and text will pop up saying "press c to take cover," or something like that.

Also, I thought it would be fun to be able to do parkour while taking cover (Like vaulting over a crate to move yourself forward).

I do currently like the cover system; it's very useful at certain times and even though it's not a "full-on" cover system, I must say it works quite well. I'm not saying DE should turn Warframe into a copy of Gears of War, but just improve a bit on the cover mechanics currently. It would be useful, fun, and even maybe immersive.

What you people don't get is that cover shooter and ninja parkour slash-n-dash/run-n-gun have extremely different difficulty curves. You can't just add the mechanic and let it be, if you balance for cover shooting it makes the game super-lethal for anyone outside cover (like we see already!) and if you balance for slashdash/rungun then the cover shooterists (who really have no business in this game) complain that the game's too easy!

You pick one or you pick the other, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

What you people don't get is that cover shooter and ninja parkour slash-n-dash/run-n-gun have extremely different difficulty curves. You can't just add the mechanic and let it be, if you balance for cover shooting it makes the game super-lethal for anyone outside cover (like we see already!) and if you balance for slashdash/rungun then the cover shooterists (who really have no business in this game) complain that the game's too easy!

You pick one or you pick the other, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Or they balance it for both. There are already cover mechanics in the game, but they need to be polished. And I love this game. I love the run and gun mechanics. I love slash and dash. I love the game as it is. But I also like cover shooters, and I have a feeling Warframe could fit into both categories.

The current cover shooting mechanics work reasonably well, and so do the run and gun, but they just need to be mixed and balanced.

You can't balance for both! That's the whole point.

And no. It cannot fit both because they're opposite philosophies.

Fine, I give up, I admit it won't happen. The game is fine as it is, I just thought it was a cool idea.

Topic has been discussed before and is answered in the FAQ.

What about a Cover system? What about Stealth? (I'm a ninja, there should be stealth!)
We love cover systems but for Warframe we felt it sacrificed mobility and simplicity too much. Our coming updates continue down this path even more so, emphasizing the agility and speed aspects of the ninja. We hope to convince you this is a better path for Warframe and that slow and tactical, although great on its own, just doesn't fit well with Warframe. As far as stealth goes: we're with you. We have started on this path with Warframe powers (like Ash and Loki), critical bonuses for charged melee attacks on unaware enemies and perception changes when crouching. We are exploring some very cool stuff for stealth that I will talk about once it is in better shape.

Locking this.