Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chilling Globe Vs Ice Wave Impedance. No Contest.

(PSN)Fen_Integrum

Chilling does a great job of keeping mobs off a point, but it does Jack all to mobs outside the bubble and they're free to shoot the bubble at their leisure. Lasts forever and ever though.

Impedance covers a crap ton of the area facing you, does ok damage until the endgame, enemies can shoot, but their fire rate is so low that it almost is as if they can't shoot at all. It's main weakness is just limited duration where the globe lasts as long as it has health. It's also the absolute best thing to catch capture targets and stem the flow of mobs from a point.

They're both good at what they do and neither overshadows the other.

My vote and preference is Ice Wave Impedance

Chilling Snowglobe before Frost Rework would have been my go-to.

As Devoid mentioned the fling (push) from casting Snowglobe has me not worrying about Chilling Snowglobe because of a CC overlap.

If you are casting a SnowGlobe to renew health while under heavy fire:

Chilling Snowglobe's effect is wasted as enemies are removed from Globe area.

IceWave Impedance with 250% Power Range is just a large Area Denial CC.

Also helps to make up for the loss of Power-strength and helping to extend SnowGlobe's life.

-Cast Snow Glove while enemies are at normal speed attack rate ; allowing them to boost Snowglobe health during Invulnerability state

-Then cast IceWave Impedance so Fire-rate is significantly slowed allowing SnowGlobe to not take Punishment.

Works wonder on all Factions even Infested.

I build duration and Range.

Ideally : I would be pleased if DE would let Augments be slotted on the abilities they are augmenting so I could run all 3 of Frost's Augments without Frost incurring such a Handicap.

• 2 weeks later...

For offensive i prefer stretch and duration. During snow globe combo and iwi for survival. IT is unbelieveable usefull to slow down the enemie while offensing with melee and bubble for protection between These. The slowing with iwi in a bubble is incredible! U kill them even they cant end their death animations like slowmotion at the field it is amazing. Chilling globe is great too but I prefer it against infested or in defense missiins. Or only shooting while offensing with 4 bubbles as savepoints for melee as well!

As a person who main Frost for past 2 years - Ice Wave is obsolete ability, never to be used. There is a hude difference between slowing enemies and frozing them solid. In case of emergency (squad "wipe") snow globe can actually be spammed to clear area, while Ice Wave will change absolutely nothing.

There is absolutely no reason to ever you Ice Wave - Chilling Globe is just better.

As a person who main Frost for past 2 years - Ice Wave is obsolete ability, never to be used. There is a hude difference between slowing enemies and frozing them solid. In case of emergency (squad "wipe") snow globe can actually be spammed to clear area, while Ice Wave will change absolutely nothing.

There is absolutely no reason to ever you Ice Wave - Chilling Globe is just better.

Ice wave Impedance slows incoming enemies and with it's augments turns the tileset into a giant ice-trap. It has far greater range than snowglobe or Avalanche. And by fanning out in a cone it allows more CC than those to skills

Chilling globe works enemies are breaching on Frost personal space however due to recent rework frost can recast the globe to expel enemies from it. It's an overlap of CC as mention before.

If you main Frost but completely disregard one of his skills even though others highly praise it, you seem to only be looking at it from one side.

I personally prefer ice-wave impedance as snowglobe already has a method of freezing enemies.

Ice wave Impedance slows incoming enemies and with it's augments turns the tileset into a giant ice-trap. It has far greater range than snowglobe or Avalanche. And by fanning out in a cone it allows more CC than those to skills

Chilling globe works enemies are breaching on Frost personal space however due to recent rework frost can recast the globe to expel enemies from it. It's an overlap of CC as mention before.

If you main Frost but completely disregard one of his skills even though others highly praise it, you seem to only be looking at it from one side.

I personally prefer ice-wave impedance as snowglobe already has a method of freezing enemies.

This is all is nice in theory, but as a person who uses Frost on practice daily in high-level mission (you can check my in-game profile), I can tell you that Ice Wave has absolutely no use in real gameplay. Only chilling globe can sometimes turn the events around, and yet it's still questionable if it's worth a slot.

Ice Wave Impedance, on the other hand, is absolutely worthless. You give theorical example how to make Frost a many-trick pony, but none of them work in reality.

This is all is nice in theory, but as a person who uses Frost on practice daily in high-level mission (you can check my in-game profile), I can tell you that Ice Wave has absolutely no use in real gameplay. Only chilling globe can sometimes turn the events around, and yet it's still questionable if it's worth a slot.

Ice Wave Impedance, on the other hand, is absolutely worthless. You give theorical example how to make Frost a many-trick pony, but none of them work in reality.

Do explain why Ice-wave has no use, is it the lack of range? Because it's certainly a wide range ability, it goes through walls and slows enemies down. It's augment makes it area denial better than snowglobe due to it's massive range and the duration of the ice-floor, while being easily spammable. Ice wave Impedance allows frost to slow down multiple rooms at once.

To say my my statements are "theoretical" examples comes off as  extremely arrogant. Going further to say it doesn't work in "real" gameplay, such as? Because it works excellent in Sorties and Raids,all of which we face high level enemies. Unless you're going to say that neither of which are real gameplay which would be ridiculous.

Do explain why Ice-wave has no use, is it the lack of range? Because it's certainly a wide range ability, it goes through walls and slows enemies down. It's augment makes it area denial better than snowglobe due to it's massive range and the duration of the ice-floor, while being easily spammable. Ice wave Impedance allows frost to slow down multiple rooms at once.

To say my my statements are "theoretical" examples comes off as  extremely arrogant. Going further to say it doesn't work in "real" gameplay, such as? Because it works excellent in Sorties and Raids,all of which we face high level enemies. Unless you're going to say that neither of which are real gameplay which would be ridiculous.

He's probably referring to fighting enemies in their multiple hundreds of levels. In a way I can see where he's coming from, but having been in massively high level play with frost, I actually use both augments. Since neither strength nor armor mean anything at that point, I run with max range and efficiency, with a little duration, and have room for both augments. It is a lifesaver. I do need chilling globe, as at those levels enemies can crowd the globe a bit faster than a frost would generally cast it (once per 4 seconds for invulnerability) so chilling globe is amazing. Ice wave impedance gives great breathing room using it on the various spawn points around.

Ice wave impedance gives great breathing room using it on the various spawn points around.

Well usually there is someone who is already doing this job unless you joined random squad. This is something I forgot to mention because I usually play with premade squad. But yes, it can be used to block them this way.

Well usually there is someone who is already doing this job unless you joined random squad. This is something I forgot to mention because I usually play with premade squad. But yes, it can be used to block them this way.

That's true, you always need to build around your squad. I usually run the way I do specifically because it gives my usual squad more flexibility in how we run. Different strokes, right?

As a frost main for 2 years, i can absolutely say that ice wave impedance has good utility and CC. However, chilling globe is also good too. But if i were to choose 1 between them, i would select ice wave augment for more general missions and then only select chilling globe build for infested. In general missions, not all enemies will tend to rush into your globe, so its practically useless if they are just shooting the globe from the outside. Also casting ice wave impedance will slow a lot of enemies down and can CC whenever u want to cast it without having to wait till they enter your globe before the CC of the chilling globe starts to apply. Chilling globe is definitely useful for infested missions.

Just on a sidenote,i like how the idea of slotted auguments is spreading, keep it up guys!

We dont need more power creep. Everything I predicted with power creep has come true for the Exhilus slot, now that they are coming out with mods for power strength, range, etc. The power creep is real, and more slots really should not happen.

Chilling globe only has a 50/50 chance to freeze a mob. Ice wave impedance slows mobs down, much like molecular prime, is cheap to cast and easy to mod for. Oh and it's %100 chance to CC. Love it. Personal preference I guess.

They cost the same, Globe has a 50/50 chance to Freeze them, on TOP of already doing what Ice Wave does, the 100% cc you spoke of, much like molecular prime, only Globe has no duration, and has a knockback, and blocks incoming fire.

I mean, pretty much all four of his abilities are just slowing people down, but I keep hearing this argument that Ice Wave has a 100% chance to do one of the things that Snowglobe already does. 

They cost the same, Globe has a 50/50 chance to Freeze them, on TOP of already doing what Ice Wave does, the 100% cc you spoke of, much like molecular prime, only Globe has no duration, and has a knockback, and blocks incoming fire.

I mean, pretty much all four of his abilities are just slowing people down, but I keep hearing this argument that Ice Wave has a 100% chance to do one of the things that Snowglobe already does. 

Because globe, ice wave impedance, and ice proc on enemies stack.

Works great on bosses too.  Corrupted Vor is hilarious when he teleports into the bubble covered by ice wave impedance, gets hit with a freeze and moves like you're playing in matrix-time compared to him.

Edit:  Oh right, forgot to mention before frost rework for that corrupted vor thing.  but yeah, they stack.

Edited by Raital

Because globe, ice wave impedance, and ice proc on enemies stack.

Works great on bosses too.  Corrupted Vor is hilarious when he teleports into the bubble covered by ice wave impedance, gets hit with a freeze and moves like you're playing in matrix-time compared to him.

Edit:  Oh right, forgot to mention before frost rework for that corrupted vor thing.  but yeah, they stack.

Ahhh. I can appreciate that. I guess both works, but I was hoping to know if there is an instance where there would be a tactical improvement of using IWI over CG. Thanks for your input!

We dont need more power creep. Everything I predicted with power creep has come true for the Exhilus slot, now that they are coming out with mods for power strength, range, etc. The power creep is real, and more slots really should not happen.

I don't see where Power Creep has happened due to Exilus slot. (15% More Range changes my Banshee Stun Range from 47m to 50m...but I don't use that Drift Mod. I don't use the extra 15% Power Strength on same build to go from 125% Power Strength to 140% because I don't really need more Strength on my Banshee build....Granted my Sonar build does use the extra 15% but 284% vs 299% Power Strength is the difference between 14.2x multiplier and 14.95 multiplier not exactly what I would say is Power Creep considering I was Stacking Sonar weakpoints before.)

Had they chosend to do an extra 15% Duration to combat F.E's effect against Channeleing efficiency... Perhaps for some warframes.

On Frost the extra 15% Of either Range or Power-strength was not really needed and it wouldn't change my builds.

Normally I am running Coaction Drift which is the best Drift Mod in the game : Better than 15% Power-strength or 15% Range

Aura Boosting mod might be considered Power Creep, but a 'Built or specific' squad is highly effective anyway.

As for the Augments...I have no Reason to ever run Chilling Globe as I have Ice Wave Impedance slotted. Until they have Augments actually attached to Abilities... I will most likely never use Freeze Force nor Chilling Globe nor Whatever Avalanche Augment comes...no room.

(Banshee I have no room for any Augments because the build that allows Silence Perma-stun in 47m Range is minimum Duration: So Sonic Fracture would have no duration, Resonance also would have no duration, and I don't need/want Single Target Finishers especially since DE allowed Melee to actually retain Combo multiplier....so none of those Augments get slotted because no Room and they won't work.

Possibly I could slot a Sound Quake Augment when it comes as my 47m Sound Quake only costs 3 energy per sec again no Drift mods needed to have Min Duration with Max Efficiency (With over Efficiency combating the Negative Duration efficiency on Channeling abilities so Streamline + Arcane Chorus and Fleeting Expertise allow for 3 energy per second. Lose 10% Efficiency and drain is 9.6 Energy per second. Technically 200% Efficiency with 25 of that being over the cap on casting efficiency.)

Only some Warframes would be overly useful with the ability to slot all Augments without consequence: Hydroid, Loki, Ash, Mag, Trinity (Not that she is not Overly useful anyway), Oberon, Rhino, Chroma, Valkyr*(Prolonged Paralysis is good CC wise but changes effects of Stun), Nova, Mirage, Zephyr, Ember, Frost, Saryn, Nyx, Vauban, Mesa, Excalibur, Volt, I suppose Limbo, cannot really say for Ivara, Equinox, Atlas, WuKong, or Nezha, but I assume they would benefit as well.

(Only reason Banshee doesn't really benefit with more duration is that takes away her ability to stun repeatedly(survivability) but all 2 of her Augments need duration to be useful and Savage Silence was nice for Arcane Trickery + Covert Lethality Daggers but Naramon Shadow Step and newer mods like Body Count, Weeping WoundsGlobe Maiming Strike don't need single Target Finishers as you can just mass AoE kill especially when Banshee can Silence cast every 3 secs to keep enemies clustered up and not attacking.)

Even Frost can now use Ice Wave Impedance to make it easier to keep a Melee combo building in comparison to Chilling Globe since Snow Globe is not as Melee friendly.

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

-snip-

I get what you're saying, but all you are pointing out is that they are essentially minor buffs, but with power creep it is never a significant buff. It's still another slot that you can use to mod your powers further, or throw in an extra quality of life mod, or mod away a weakness, etc.

I'm sure you can list a lot of frames where certain mods wont be useful, but I'm sure that I can think of a scenario with each one, where the Exhilus slot provides power creep. It's only limited by ones playstyle.

I get what you're saying, but all you are pointing out is that they are essentially minor buffs, but with power creep it is never a significant buff. It's still another slot that you can use to mod your powers further, or throw in an extra quality of life mod, or mod away a weakness, etc.

I'm sure you can list a lot of frames where certain mods wont be useful, but I'm sure that I can think of a scenario with each one, where the Exhilus slot provides power creep. It's only limited by ones playstyle.

Yes -limited by one's playstyle. But playstyle would be the determinant for Power Creep.

Quality of Life - I do not count QoL as powercreep

But really powercreep was built into the game design with 'Prime' 'Vandal' 'Wraith' 'Prisma''Syndicate' etc... Variants of Normal counterparts but usually offering Significant stat upgrades. That is powercreep defined if I have ever seen it.

For Frames like Frost when looking at Frost: they made Normal SnowGlobe non-Duration based which fits in line with Normal Freeze and Ice Wave Impedance for the most part.

-Yet all 3 of those Augments are duration based.

Basically an Augment encourages a more balanced build for Frost with Efficiency and Duration amongst the other stats.

Only reason he would seemingly be OP with all 3 Augments equipped is it would free a slot compared to a single Augment build and all 3 of his Augments would benefit from it.

Freeze Force being more of a Team-buff than powercreep for Frost himself.

But Syndicate weapons were more an example of powercreep than an Exilus mod slot.

(Synoid Simulor, Sancti Tigris, Secura Penta, Rakta Cernos....basically undisputable 'Upgrades' to their normal variants...because DE)

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

"Do not mock me, Raziel. You, of all of us, should respect the power bestowed by a limitation overcome." - Rahab, from Legacy of Kain

Even for those that do not immediately benefit from drift mods, there is a form of power creep, after a fashion. Slapping a mod, like Rush, in place that removes Frost/Rhinos slowness is as good as a minor buff. It is permission to continue min-maxing without interrupting the build, while gaining a QOL mod in addition to it. Frost was good even before, but now that his powers have been enhanced greatly with the rework, and with the addition of a freel QOL mod on top of that, it eliminates the aspect that held him in check. With the speed that can be managed with a Parkour mod, Frost has no need to sit back and use Ice Wave, when he could use a superior CG instead.