The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Secondary Weapons To Use Catalyst On?

Gravitas2

Question

Rakta Ballistica is pretty much the perfect weapon. Stupid amounts of damage, viral AoE proc that heals you, burst fire for nullifiers, built-in punch-through stat on charged shots... Assuming your primary is hitscan (which you said is Soma) I find it difficult to justify using anything else in that slot except for the sake of variety.

Edited by VKhaun

It has been said many times, but Rakta Ballistica is pretty much the best side arm. Side arms aren't very good at dealing damage in later game, while you can forma the lex to do quite a bit of damage. It will still drop off and be pretty much useless. It's best to use side arms as more of a utility.

Rakta Ballistica will pop null bubble in 3 shots, allowing you to deal with them with your primary weapon.

Furis is also good with the Window of Purity mod as it will heal you.

Sonicor can knock groups of mobs down if you build for blast and can kill groups of mobs in low level missions.

I myself don't really use anything, besides the Rakta ballistica these days.

Edited by mrwald0

The above posts have suggested pretty much the majority of sidearm choices, so I'll leave it there.

From the three choices you listed, consider putting the catalyst on Sonicor first. The AoE ragdolling effect makes it a good CC weapon.

Is the Vasto Prime any good?

Mainly slash damage, IMO quite accurate, 1s super-fast reload time. Recoil maybe a little hard to control if rapid shooting.

I personally recommend it.

Edited by SpryCrow

I'm at MR12, and I haven't put any catalyst on my secondary yet. Because I'm afraid it wont worth it. Plus I didn't use secondary that much. But Marelok and Rakta Balistica seems good. I don't know.

Just got Despair. Does it worth it?

How are you mr 12 and dont have a potato on your secondary? My lex prime drops vor (T4) in like 3 shots. 

How are you mr 12 and dont have a potato on your secondary? My lex prime drops vor (T4) in like 3 shots. 

Because I just don't lmao. I just don't use secondary that much. I'm more to primary or just melee all the way. I will give secondary some love later.

Wait I think I have it on my hikou prime.

Edited by ForkUrEyes

I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for pure dmg, then the Vakyor Marelock, Rakta Ballistca, Synoid Gammacor, Lex Prime, Angstrum, and Kulstar are good choices. If you're looking more for ultility, then the Sonicor and Furis with its augment are great.

I'd say the Sonicor is a very good Sidearm to Catalyst. I have one on mine, and am pretty much One Shotting low levels and sometimes Higher Ups if i'm lucky. Am currently waiting for my forma to finish so I can Mod it a bit better then it currently is =}

i'm also looking for a 3rd Sidearm, and it seems like the Ballistica is the way to go (my other sidearm is the Vasto)

On 2/13/2016 at 8:37 PM, Gravitas2 said:

Currently I have a catalyst on my Soma and my secondaries do basically no damage since I haven't modded them properly. Whats a good secondary use to use catalyst on and whats a good build for it? (I have atomos, akvasto, and sonicor currently)

Sonicor has no shortcomings, as if you want, you can use it solely as CC, making it an amazing all-rounder. I personally forma'd the hell out of mine and it's viable to kill at about 90 minutes in a t4 survival, and it cheeses sortie's all day. Easily the best secondary for interceptions and most captures with the knockdown and ragdoll.

That being said, I personally find Vaykor Marelok to be my favorite secondary for dps, as it's easy to get it to proc 100% status and do heavy damage at most levels with decent crit. (Jolt is bae)

Edited by Spar_k

On 2/14/2016 at 7:05 AM, ForkUrEyes said:

I'm at MR12, and I haven't put any catalyst on my secondary yet. Because I'm afraid it wont worth it. Plus I didn't use secondary that much. But Marelok and Rakta Balistica seems good. I don't know.

Just got Despair. Does it worth it?

You are at a point where you really need a side arm that you can use the majority of a mission while you let shared affinity level up all the crap primaries of the game.  Stuff you want the MR from but don't want to actually shoot.  There are plenty of side arms that can do a 40 minute survival in any tower.  Well, this is assuming you have a goal of progressing to MR 20+ -- if you don't then you can ignore this.

To your Despair question, I put a potato and several forma into mine a long time ago and never regretted it.  Its nice to have a silent option that isn't constantly exploding in an AOE blast.  With that said I do prefer the new Spira prime so I don't think I'll be using the Despair much any more.

On 2/13/2016 at 8:39 PM, Codesco said:

sonicor, but i would get the lex prime first.

sonicor first, imho... better crowd control... lex prime (hand cannon) is great silenced for spy missions or taking down individual heavy units, but sonicor is the best for bouncing around crowds in mid level missions.  When I want to run through mobs of heavies on the way to extraction, i pop out my sonicor

(sonicor has a 100% rag doll proc/effect, btw... even tho it lists status as 0% )

staticor would be a great choice, but it's bugged still and stops working in the middle of missions, or doesn't work at all

Edited by DeadlyPeanutt
more info

All good suggestions so far. Some of these are just dps vs. CC and some are just flavor to taste. Secondary considerations are important also. Are you looking for accuracy, AoE, silent or other inherent qualities from the weapon you choose. Here is my personal list of go to secondaries:

Hikou Prime - easily modded and Concealed Explosives make them a fun choice for popping Nullie bubbles while dealing damage to collateral targets as well. Also good for enemies that take cover since they do tend to have an arc to them and again, the explosion still deals damage. 

Sonicor - possibly the best CC side arm. It's hard for enemies to hit you when they are constantly on the ground. The damage of a properly modded one is nothing to sneer at either.

Lex Prime - hands down, your damage producer. This weapon does reward accuracy however, so practice your headshots to make the most of it.

Vaykor Marelok - another great damage side arm with the added bonus of the AoE proc. 

Kulstar - this is damage and CC all wrapped up in one exploding package. This thing can get to 12K+ base blast damage with mods and forma. But it requires vigilance on your fire lanes as the slightest mistake in targeting results in you needing a revive rather quickly as you will one shot yourself.

Others are good or just fun, but that is up to you to decide. I'm a personal fan of the Twin Vipers, Twin Grakatas, and the Akmagnus myself.