Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dread: Constant red crits or a 1/4 chance?

NekroArts

Question

I have these two Dread builds in mind but not sure which one to go with. I mean, if I constantly get red crits will that surpass the DPS of 25% chance? Or is it better to have high burst damage? Here are my builds.

Constant red crits:                                     

• Serration
  • Split Chamber
  • Infected Clip
  • Stormbringer
  • Speed Trigger
  • Bladed Rounds
  • Point Strike
  • Argon Scope

25% chance:

• Serration
  • Split Chamber
  • Infected Clip
  • Stormbringer
  • Speed Trigger
  • Bladed Rounds
  • Point Strike
  • Vital Sense

Edited by NekroArts

6 answers to this question

Firstly, the constant red crits should have Vital Sense instead of Bladed Rounds.  If you are only going to take one of those two, take the +120% crit damage at all times over the +120% crit damage when aiming for 9 seconds after a kill.  It doesn't make much difference with Dread since I imagine you'll be aiming and killing often enough but Vital Sense is still better since it always applies.

Now, comparing constant red crits to higher crit multiplier...  A red crit has a multiplier of [crit multiplier]x2-1.  The constant red crits with +120% crit damage are therefore getting 4.4x2-1=7.8.  The 25% red chance with +240% crit damage will be getting x6.8 on 75% of hits and x12.6 for 25% of hits (6.8x2-1=12.6).  The average is then x8.25, which is higher but I suspect it'll be overkill on the red crits.  For a large part of the game it wont matter as you'll one-shot everything with either build.  Eventually you'll hit a point where the hits at x6.8 don't quite kill while the x7.8 hits would, but soon after you'll be at the point where both builds require two shots except for those 25% of hits at x12.6 damage.

I think you'd be better off with the 25% chance. I'm not the best at damage mechanics, but I think this is how it works.

With red crits, the formula goes (Crit multiplier x2) - 1. So with the Dread, which has a base 2x crit chance, you'd get 3x damage. However, since you're dropping Vital Sense, that's all you're getting. Meanwhile, with vital sense and a normal crit build, you're getting 4.4x (If I remember right) which is already more than a red crit on the other build. On top of that, you have a chance to red crit (25%, I think more because multishot) giving you the potential to hit for 4.4x x2 -1 or 7.8x crit damage. Either way, the 25% build comes out on top.

5 minutes ago, Mastercontrol98 said:

I think you'd be better off with the 25% chance. I'm not the best at damage mechanics, but I think this is how it works.

With red crits, the formula goes (Crit multiplier x2) - 1. So with the Dread, which has a base 2x crit chance, you'd get 3x damage. However, since you're dropping Vital Sense, that's all you're getting. Meanwhile, with vital sense and a normal crit build, you're getting 4.4x (If I remember right) which is already more than a red crit on the other build. On top of that, you have a chance to red crit (25%, I think more because multishot) giving you the potential to hit for 4.4x x2 -1 or 7.8x crit damage. Either way, the 25% build comes out on top.

he have Bladed rounds in first build which is same as Vital sense but on kill and 9 seconds.