The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can somebody explain this steam verification to me?

AdunSaveMe

Question

19 answers to this question

On Steam servers is pretty old version of Warframe, looks like DE forgot update it, so you bassically download whole game again because files mismatch. This is reason why noone should use Verifying Warframe files through Steam, ONLY through Launcher

Edited by Myscho

Never use Steam to backup and verify Warframe. You basically just broke your Warframe so you're gonna have to redownload it. Steam has problems with games that download themselves through a different launcher.

If you ever have to verify do it via the launcher. 

Edited by DecapitatingJim

Just now, DecapitatingJim said:

They really need to update it or something. Same thing happened to me a while back.

Well, that's S#&$.

I only tried to back it up properly because moving folders in and out of Steam folders never works as backup. Always makes me download it again and deletes whatever is in the existing folder. Why Steam gets so much praise is beyond me.

18 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Well, that's S#&$.

I only tried to back it up properly because moving folders in and out of Steam folders never works as backup. Always makes me download it again and deletes whatever is in the existing folder. Why Steam gets so much praise is beyond me.

Why people deem something beyond awful due to one issue is also beyond me.

There's no real reason to backup any game files, unless it's an unsynchronized save or configuration files with the cloud, but other than that, there's really no reason to backup Warframe files. Your settings are all saved in the servers, along with everything else.

The problem is that Steam downloads all the original files. The launcher then updates those files. Steam can't know what files the launcher has updated, since it's a third-party piece of software, therefore it pretty much brings back the files to their original state.

Edited by JRMC

7 minutes ago, JRMC said:

But it isn't just one issue. And nobody said 'beyond awful'.

7 minutes ago, JRMC said:

There's no real reason to backup any game files, unless it's an unsynchronized save or configuration files with the cloud, but other than that, there's really no reason to backup Warframe files. Your settings are all saved in the servers, along with everything else.

Part of the purpose of steam backup is moving the files to another computer or having the ability to reinstall it without downloading it again. There's more to the game than settings.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

33 minutes ago, JRMC said:

The problem is that Steam downloads all the original files. The launcher then updates those files. Steam can't know what files the launcher has updated, since it's a third-party piece of software, therefore it pretty much brings back the files to their original state.

Speaking as someone with really bad internet, Steam backup is a god send. It has saved me literal months of re-downloading stuff. I download things on my laptop, back em up then move em to my main PC. It means I can play it, and I have it on my laptop so I can delete it whenever and not have to wait upwards of 3 weeks to re-get it so I can play it again. And 3 weeks is not an exaggeration.

As far as backing up Warframe goes. This method should work 

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Rxl-noir/Methods_For_Backup,_Restoring_And_Converting_Warframe_(Steam_And_Standalone_Version)

I used the steam to non-steam version to get it from my laptop to my PC. 

Edited by DecapitatingJim

Just now, DecapitatingJim said:

As far as backing up Warframe goes. This method should work 

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Rxl-noir/Methods_For_Backup,_Restoring_And_Converting_Warframe_(Steam_And_Standalone_Version)

I used the steam to non-steam version to get it from my laptop to my PC. 

It's a bit late for it, but thanks for the link. I'll just have to download it again when I get my new build.

17 minutes ago, DecapitatingJim said:

Yeah I know that pain well. I managed to break it on my laptop and my PC simultaneously. But it's handy having that lying about in case you ever have to move the game around. Saves all that downloading nonsense. 

Those steps are what people recommend for moving other games as well, but it never worked for me.

At least with Origin and Battlenet you can just tell it where the folder is, no worries. You literally point it to the game folder containing the .exe, and if something is broken, it fixes it. But with Steam, you have to put it in one folder, name it exactly how it is officially after buggering around with deleting and moving other files and removing/adding it to the downloads list and a bunch of other crap, then it's just like "well screw you, I'm going to pretend I'm validating the files, then I'm going to delete all of them and download the exact same files again, just because".

Edited by AdunSaveMe

2 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Game runs fine, no issues. But I tried to back it up and it told me to verify. So I verified the files.
197 files apparently were busted or missing, and now it's started an 11gb update.

What's the deal?

Uninstall the steam version and install the standalone version. I had the exact same problem as you. I couldn't resolve it without redownloading the whole game. And since you also will redownload the whole game you can avoid the steam version to mitigate future problems.

3 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Those steps are what people recommend for moving other games as well, but it never worked for me.

At least with Origin and Battlenet you can just tell it where the folder is, no worries. You literally point it to the game folder containing the .exe, and if something is broken, it fixes it. But with Steam, you have to put it in one folder, name it exactly how it is officially after buggering around with deleting and moving other files and removing/adding it to the downloads list and a bunch of other crap, then it's just like "well screw you, I'm going to pretend I'm validating the files, then I'm going to delete all of them and download the exact same files again, just because".

Yeah. I miss the days you could just copy the folder from one "common" folder to another and Steam was like "Yep that's a complete game alright, you wanting me to just immedietly validate it all and let you start playing?" Was so nice and straightforward.

2 hours ago, Jierrsul said:

Uninstall the steam version and install the standalone version. I had the exact same problem as you. I couldn't resolve it without redownloading the whole game. And since you also will redownload the whole game you can avoid the steam version to mitigate future problems.

That's probably the best way around this. What I did was use the standalone to play, and just have the game set to download on Steam, without actually downloading any of it. That way I still get the popups whenever someone on my friends lists opens the game. 

4 hours ago, Jierrsul said:

Not really an option. What about steam items?

15 hours ago, DecapitatingJim said:

Speaking as someone with really bad internet, Steam backup is a god send. It has saved me literal months of re-downloading stuff. I download things on my laptop, back em up then move em to my main PC. It means I can play it, and I have it on my laptop so I can delete it whenever and not have to wait upwards of 3 weeks to re-get it so I can play it again. And 3 weeks is not an exaggeration.

Doesn't it still have to verify all the files? It's still a lengthy process. It did for me when I moved my games on to another folder.