Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game Should Choose Host For Games

Kossuranta

There is an option to limit ping in matchmaking, but I'm not totally sure does it work at all. Currently I have set it to 200 wich propably will lag a little, but would be playable. Tough I'm still getting in games where everything happes like with ping around 1000 and can't do much in there other than spray and pray.

My suggestion:

At least when game starts with group of players game should check everyones connection/ping and maybe hardware if it matters and then choose the one who is best capable for hosting. I'm currently running i7-2700K and 16GB of RAM with 100/5 mbps connection so I would be easily able to host lagfree atleast for most of Europe and well haven't heard anyone saying anything about lag when they are on game that I'm hosting.

Update:

After reading comments though these could be also added:

- Option to choose that you don't want to be host (If you know that you can't)

- Option to vote for host migration

Edited by Kossuranta

I like the idea of this check for choosing a host. I was planning to make a post about creating some sort of command that would allow a host migration by vote, but this is probably even better. Sometimes people get to be the host and they know they can't but there is no way around, as far as i know, to change it.

at least give the option to for those of us with slow internet to choose not to host. I try to leave games and rejoin when I get stuck as the host but it usually doesn't work.

Especially for Void runs. I can't host my friends, like literally they can't join when I host, so I'm unable to contribute my keys for the time being.

Yes. 100% For allowing others to host your keys. All of my friends got DC-ed :(

For the same thing I have played with a guy from US few times (I'm from Finland) and we had 2 guys from UK with us in Void. Would have been best for team that either one from UK would have been host so there would be 2 without any lag, me without/minor lag and player from US lagging around. But cause we can't choose the host there was 1 player without lag (Host) and 3 with pretty heavy lag. Level I and II are luckily easy enough to manage, but can't even think about level III Void with he as host because of it.

Internet isn't always the problem with those really laggy hosts.

Warframe puts a HUGE amount of stress on the hosts' computers. When their computers suffer, all the players they are hosting for suffer too.

Internet isn't always the problem with those really laggy hosts.

Warframe puts a HUGE amount of stress on the hosts' computers. When their computers suffer, all the players they are hosting for suffer too.

Well like I said then it should also check peoples specs (CPU and RAM) and use those too to find who is best for hosting.

Especially for Void runs. I can't host my friends, like literally they can't join when I host, so I'm unable to contribute my keys for the time being.

Same with my friend over here. As host you should have the option to have somebody else host it

I'm unconvinced about doing this automatically for a number of reasons. Let players decide.

Edited by Sammy001

Pingtime does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Lag in Warframe, and here is why:

I could be on Dialup, and you can ping me and get <200ms ping.

Guess what would happen if I attempted to host a Warframe game?

The game would be 100% unplayable for you. Why? Because my Upstream would be something like 12kb/sec or some-such.

That is why Warframe needs to run a Speedtest where it measures the player's Upstream data rate. This test could be performed 5 times and then the average is taken, to make sure.

When a match is made, Warframe should look at each person's Upstream and choose the one who has the best Upstream to be the Host.

Lag in Warframe, 99% of the time, is caused by insufficient Upstream. Since Pings are very small packets (64 bytes IIRC?), pings are not going to be affected by Upstream unless you're currently using all of it on something like Youtube or Torrent.

That is why using Ping Times to make matches is not effective whatsoever.

Pingtime does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Lag in Warframe, and here is why:

That is why using Ping Times to make matches is not effective whatsoever.

Yes and no.

Games like Warframe shouldn't ever require too much upload to work perfectly. Even 1mb/s should be sufficient and 2mb/s could host 4 player squad easily. I think most players have fast enough for that.

Yes you will get low ping with dialup IF you are also geographically near eachother, but even with fast Cable/DSL you won't get low ping when connecting from Europe to USA. Meaning ping does mean a lot if it works correctly.

Warframe most definetly wont lag 99% of times because insufficient upstream. More likely I would say huge distances making high pings or insufficient CPU. And yes I have checked my upload usage while hostin games for 4 player squad.

Edited by Kossuranta