The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ps4 Warframe Get's Physx On Amd Based Chip?

DiabloBah

Now, I understand, it's a different console and all. But what is this? I'm an AMD fan, but I do enjoy Physx as well. It gives the game the little extra Depth. But why can't we AMD users have Physx on our CPU? But the PS4 has a AMD APU, and get's the Physx? We can't just dump the Physx on the CPU like Borderlands 2 did? Personally I feel if the PS4 console players get to have Physx, why can't us PC gamers? I find it to be (And pardon my Language) BullS#&$. =/ 

I don't know what kind of awesome machine you're on OP, but whenever I tried to pull PhysX to CPU on my Borderlands 2 game, the framerate would go to S#&$. If anything, you should be asking AMD why they haven't bit the bullet and asked Nvidia about licensing the PhysX tech for their cards yet.

I really love ATI/AMD because of their price/performance point, but I am also aware at the same time that they're budget for a reason.

I don't know what kind of awesome machine you're on OP, but whenever I tried to pull PhysX to CPU on my Borderlands 2 game, the framerate would go to S#&$. If anything, you should be asking AMD why they haven't bit the bullet and asked Nvidia about licensing the PhysX tech for their cards yet.

I really love ATI/AMD because of their price/performance point, but I am also aware at the same time that they're budget for a reason.

Going to have to agree.

You can't go to a McDonalds and expect to have a steak dinner. Likewise, you can't go to ATI and expect PhysX.

Now, I understand, it's a different console and all. But what is this? I'm an AMD fan, but I do enjoy Physx as well. It gives the game the little extra Depth. But why can't we AMD users have Physx on our CPU? But the PS4 has a AMD APU, and get's the Physx? We can't just dump the Physx on the CPU like Borderlands 2 did? Personally I feel if the PS4 console players get to have Physx, why can't us PC gamers? I find it to be (And pardon my Language) BullS#&$. =/

Sony licensed PhysX for the PS4 that's why.

(in case you can't figure it out from that sentence it's going to be running on the GPU not CPU)

Edited by plznohurtme

Yeah this has everything to do with Nvidia supporting PS4 and Xbone with PhysX/Apex at the CPU level not the GPU level. http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_physx_and_apex_support_announced_for_sony_ps4.html

This is one of the reasons AMD thinks PS4 and Xbone will be better suited for games than integrated GPU solutions on Haswell CPUs.

http://n4g.com/news/1275255/amd-say-pc-ports-of-next-generation-console-titles-are-likely-to-struggle-on-intel-tech

Edited by RawGritz

Going to have to agree.

You can't go to a McDonalds and expect to have a steak dinner. Likewise, you can't go to ATI and expect PhysX.

A better analogy would be going to McDonalds and expecting a Whopper.

Blizzard vs. Flurry.

Dairy Queen > McDonalds.

Anyhow, since the PS4 is only equivalent to a mid-range PC, let them have it.

Also, there's a patch to let Win7 use PhysX when using a Radeon as your primary GPU.

Still needs a GeForce (series 8+) in the casing to work though.

So yeah, you can have your cake and eat it too.

That would be a bad business strategy. If PhysX became the norm, they would be at Nvidia's mercy.

And Nvidia hasn't made PhysX work with current CPU's well, at all. Last time I heard, it uses x87 instructions. Updated to SSE2, it would be at least twice as fast, more like 4x. Updated to AVX, it would be doubled again.

I'm not sure Nvidia designed the CPU portion of PhysX to work with multiple cores either, so at least 2x speedup on Quads.

Nvidia wanted PhysX to sell their cards. A console doesn't directly compete with them like AMD.

I mean, I put Physx on my AMD based PC. and I hardly had any FPS drop. It was damn near the same. If anything I dropped when a STUPID amount of stuff was happening. Plus Borderlands Physx would stay, and be active. Warframes dissipates really quick. And I'm on a Quad core 965. Imagine a 8 core 8350. It would be completely Beautiful.

"PhysX" is Nvidia's tradermark for calculating on GPU insteal of CPU. It created to run on certain hardware, their hardware. Sso the only way to have PhysX enabled is having a Nvidia card.

You guys still have PhysX running on your AMD system, but is very limited since everything run on CPU.

PS4 using a customized AMD GPU, which is a bit different from common AMD GPU, and Nvidia will create a version of PhysX to run only on that customized PS4's GPU, and on that customized GPU alone.

I don't know if some random genius can use that PS4's driver version to use on common AMD GPU in the future(hope so), but for now, CPU PhysX is all you got, Lotus can't do nothing about it.

Edited by Hameln

You don't need that high end of a card as a physx add on card which could be an option for you (anything with enough stream processors should do, so maybe $50-100 card ex: GT 640). Second unless there's some dramatic shift in nvidia's corporate structure amd will never get physx, or even official support with an amd card as primary. (replacing a new card just for physx seems silly to me unless you can sell your old one for enough)

Check these before you consider it though:

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Hybrid_PhysX

Edited by plznohurtme

You don't need that high end of a card as a physx add on card which could be an option for you (anything with enough stream processors should do, so maybe $50-100 card ex: GT 640). Second unless there's some dramatic shift in nvidia's corporate structure amd will never get physx, or even official support with an amd card as primary. (replacing a new card just for physx seems silly to me unless you can sell your old one for enough)

Check these before you consider it though:

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Hybrid_PhysX

Uh, If I read this right.... to do "Hybrid" PhysX, you have to..... put a PhysX-Capable graphics card in your computer along with your ATI card, and then install special software to get it to work......

Why?

Why not just use the stupid PhysX card in the first place without going through all that rigamarole?

That's like going to Burger King, ordering a Whopper, and then carrying that Whopper into McDonalds just so you can eat a Whopper while sitting in McDonalds instead of just eating the Whopper at Burger King.

It makes no freaking sense.

Uh, If I read this right.... to do "Hybrid" PhysX, you have to..... put a PhysX-Capable graphics card in your computer along with your ATI card, and then install special software to get it to work......

Why?

Why not just use the stupid PhysX card in the first place without going through all that rigamarole?

That's like going to Burger King, ordering a Whopper, and then carrying that Whopper into McDonalds just so you can eat a Whopper while sitting in McDonalds instead of just eating the Whopper at Burger King.

If you'd bought a $300 amd card 4-5mo ago never thinking you'd play a game with physx you would care about your solution is just buy another $300 video card, but this time nvidia? A little more expensive than your burger analogy, but maybe it's just me who doesn't like throwing away that kind of money.

Why?

Actually, it's more like ordering a big mac at Mcdonalds, walking over to Burger King, ordering some onion rings, then eating them as a meal.

AMD has much better deals for graphics cards, especially now. Right now you can get a 7950 at $300 with 4 games. Nvidia offers some features AMD doesn't, but they've historically charged more for the same performance.

$300 for a PhysX card? I'd pay $75 tops and that's for a GTX 460  level card, shouldn't need any more power than that for a PhysX card.

Hardware PhysX mean you use your GPU to do CPU's work. It equal to cut a part of your rendering power(lower FPS) to provide more realistic environment.

With a hybrid solution, you got ATI rendering power with that PhysX without losing anything, except your real-life credit.

A $60 Nvidia card gonna do the work just fine, even over kill, who's the F*** said 300$.

Edited by Hameln