Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to remove Shift+Tab shortcut ? (steam conflict)

jaiden_09

Question

Hey guys,

Basically, I'm just wondering if it's even possible to *Allow deactivating this shortcut. I don't want the game to switch between chats whenever I use shift+tab to use steam's overlay.

I usually do my research before recruiting so I've actually seen a few (including me) pop in region chat unknowingly typing in a recruiting message. So I'm guessing DE "solved" that by kicking the player's for it. I've been looking around the options menu but I didn't find anything in the hotkey options to change it. It's just really disturbing and I just got kicked recently for it. I'm also hoping other players will benefit more from this thread even if I am to be careful next time.

Btw, I just want to point out another minor chat problem. *lock in the chat The synchronized typing in the chat and modding section is still present for a while now.

When I decide to talk to other players, it types in everything in the modding section's search bar when activated. Again, It's not a big problem, just disturbing on the rare occasion that I am searching and typing texts to other people.

I hope this concerns more than just me, and that there's a solution to be found. I did google it and searched around roughly so may have missed my main solution to the problem :/
Anyways, thanks for reading ^^

Edited by jaiden_09
not my first post.

7 answers to this question

The problem isn't Warframe, it's the fact that you're trying to use the very widely used keyboard shortcut for "Select previous text entry field" for something else.  It's like if you tried to bind something to Ctrl+C:  That's usually handled by Windows, and not the program you're copying text in.

DE might not be able to change the binding without a ton of work, because the the chat windows could be using Windows programming libraries, to save them having to write their own version of all the shortcuts and functions that already exist for text entry.

My recommendation would be to put your steam overlay on a key combination that's used hardly anywhere else.  There are a couple near the Tab key, such as Shift + ` (that's the key to the left of 1), or Shift + \ (left of the Z key).

Edited by polarity

29 minutes ago, VinDanger said:

in steam go to settings>ingame and change the overlay key

Well I suppose that's a great alternative solution to the problem
but I still do not want disregard that this is still an issue concerning the game itself with steam players. And I take it that you had no luck disabling/changing the shortcut in-game so this seems to be more likely resolvable with a game patch...

Thank you for the alternative solution though ^^ I don't go in forums often so I don't know if this only area concerns player help or it's also seen by DE. :/

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

Why would you blame Warframe for a shortcut that only exists in Steam's interface? This is a Steam interface button combination that exists across all games; DE has no power over it

I think you don't understand what I wrote there in black and white.

6 hours ago, jaiden_09 said:

Hey guys,

Basically, I'm just wondering if it's even possible to *Allow deactivating this shortcut.

Nobody said I blamed DE for steam's functionality of changing hotkeys.

1 hour ago, jaiden_09 said:

I think you don't understand what I wrote there in black and white.

Quite the opposite: I'm taking what you wrote down in black and white at face value. And what you wrote makes you sound like you blame Warframe and DE for not having a built-in solution to an interface they have no control over. I don't think you're that dumb, I think you know where the actual problem lies. But your text sounded dumb, so I responded to the dumb-sounding text

15 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Quite the opposite: I'm taking what you wrote down in black and white at face value. And what you wrote makes you sound like you blame Warframe and DE for not having a built-in solution to an interface they have no control over. I don't think you're that dumb, I think you know where the actual problem lies. But your text sounded dumb, so I responded to the dumb-sounding text

Well I just want to say that I actually have communication problems. I only went to school in french all my life and speak english natively at home. I try my best to make myself as precise as I can. The problem is the fact that I was unable to find a way to change or disable the shortcut on the game. I find it odd that the shortcut exists yet cannot be modified like any other hotkey you assign in mostly all games. That's the main reason why I'm still talking about it on warframe's forum site. The first response was already enough to solve the conflict on the behalf of steam. If there is no way to fix it in-game (which you led me to only assume there isn't) then I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to encourage DE to add this kind of feature in acother section in the forums perhaps. Again, these are minor issues, I really wish I made myself clear the first time...

11 hours ago, polarity said:

The problem isn't Warframe, it's the fact that you're trying to use the very widely used keyboard shortcut for "Select previous text entry field" for something else.  It's like if you tried to bind something to Ctrl+C:  That's usually handled by Windows, and not the program you're copying text in.

DE might not be able to change the binding without a ton of work, because the the chat windows could be using Windows programming libraries, to save them having to write their own version of all the shortcuts and functions that already exist for text entry.

My recommendation would be to put your steam overlay on a key combination that's used hardly anywhere else.  There are a couple near the Tab key, such as Shift + ` (that's the key to the left of 1), or Shift + \ (left of the Z key).

Oh ok, Thank you for the detailed answer ^^ I never realised it would take much work. I mostly thought of it as simply adding another menu in options for all warframe's shortcuts so that players can know which one's do what and change Shift+tab for something else or deactivate it (blank). So I guess changing steam's shortcut is the only way after 3 vague "no luck finding an option like that in warframe, sorry". I also suspected this could've been controller keys mapped on the keyboard but it's not shown so i'm still no luck.

And what I meant by other players who can benefit from this trhread included those I saw who also had the same problem as I did. Again this implied giving ideas in an appropriate thread to DE to make a better user experience. 

23 hours ago, jaiden_09 said:

but I still do not want disregard that this is still an issue concerning the game itself with steam players. And I take it that you had no luck disabling/changing the shortcut in-game so this seems to be more likely resolvable with a game patch...

Thank you for the alternative solution though ^^ I don't go in forums often so I don't know if this only area concerns player help or it's also seen by DE. :/

And again, yes I am complaining that warframe does not have these options but I cannot blame DE for something the game does not have just because steam has a solution. I'm just a user who suggests giving players the option to manage and learn these shortcuts.Now can anyone give me pointers about where this could be appropriate ?

4 hours ago, jaiden_09 said:

Why would you blame Warframe for a shortcut that only exists in Steam's interface? This is a Steam interface button combination that exists across all games; DE has no power over it