Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Multiplayer Requires Ps+ On The Ps4, Will Warframe?

QSwordfish

Sony would have little to gain by allowing a bunch of people to play f2ps through their console with no strings attached other than making the box a little more attractive to consumers, which, hey, maybe is enough, but I'm guessing they'd like to have a subscription on the owners.

I'm still wondering why in the world anyone would rather play Warframe on a console when they can just plug a controller in their PC, it already has awesome controller support.

Edited by V3G3T4BL3

Playstations online service has never costed a penny.

Playstation+ is just a premium online exsperiance, where you get bonus content.

Playstation network has never been a pay to play online service.

Playstation FTW

Please read. 

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/ps4-owners-will-need-playstation-plus-subscription-for-online-multiplayer/

"Apparently, online multiplayer gaming on the PS4 will require a $50 per year subscription to PlayStation Plus, matching a similar requirement for Xbox Live Gold to get online multiplayer on Microsoft's systems."

Sony would have little to gain by allowing a bunch of people to play f2ps through their console with no strings attached other than making the box a little more attractive to consumers, which, hey, maybe is enough, but I'm guessing they'd like to have a subscription on the owners.

I'm still wondering why in the world anyone would rather play Warframe on a console when they can just plug a controller in their PC, it already has awesome controller support.

They are blasphemers.

I've had playstation plus since day 1 so it's not a big deal to me.  I think it sucks cause I know some people don't care about having ps plus but I don't think sony would charge for it unless they planned on giving a quality online experience.  Also, you get a LOT of free games and other dlc from being a ps plus member which I doubt will stop.

From what I have read. Yes, you will need to pay for Playstation+ to play any games online. Therefore, yes, you would need to get it to play warframe online.

Not all of us have pcs that are actually rigged for gaming. It would be nice not to have to worry about my sad little laptop (which is supposed to be for school) overheating itself when I play a game.

Edited by ELREYULTIMO

I've had playstation plus since day 1 so it's not a big deal to me.  I think it sucks cause I know some people don't care about having ps plus but I don't think sony would charge for it unless they planned on giving a quality online experience.  Also, you get a LOT of free games and other dlc from being a ps plus member which I doubt will stop.

That pretty much sums it up. They are trying to not suck so hard like they did with the ps3 but that means more expense.

I just want to say i apologize for any confusion i may have caused. 

Im a we bit depressed in hearing about pay to play multiplayer :( 

i though sony would have never done this but... for $50 a year im happy with the small price!

Joystiq just posted an article, says it's up to the publishers for free-to-play games to decide whether PS+ will be a requirement:

Furthermore, free-to-play games won't require PlayStation Plus for online multiplayer. During a separate rountable Joystiq was present at, Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei said, "As far as free-to-play games are concerned, it's the publisher's decision whether they put it inside or outside of PS Plus."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/playstation-plus-price-not-changing-video-services-dont-requir/

It's hard to say, since an article also confirmed that Planetside 2 and DCUO, both F2P games will NOT require PS+.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-shares-relevant-details-on-playstation-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/

Sony's own games, they get profit from microtransactions in those games.

Edited by 3ventic

I think this was brought up in the interview Steve had with Gamespot (or Spike, can't remember) basically he said they only found out about the PS+ requirement to play online at E3.

Pretty sure DE will give us the real answer once they come back from E3

Pretty sure DE will give us the real answer once they come back from E3

Yep, I'm sure they have a metric ton of questions for Sony reps. Especially with stuff like the PS+ for multiplayer.

Based on that dualshockers link, it sounds like if Developers want to link into things like the Share video features then their games will need to be part of the PS+ model.

A good follow up question is if players can choose not to have access to the Share feature and still play without PS+? Say you can be a PS+ Warframe member and be able to Share on UStream while a non-PS+ Warfarme player is blocked from that feature (for obvious reasons). I don't think Sony will allow this, IMO.

Although for people really into using their playstation for online gaming the PS+ members actually doesn't look that bad for the dollar value... unlike MS's featureless Golden pay-wall.