Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn thoughts?

(PSN)forChristsake

Question

So I'm mr4 (close to 5) and only have 3 frame slots. I have Excalibur,  Rhino, and Valkyr (all recently lvl 30). I use Rhino and Valkyr a lot, but Excalibur has been collecting dust. I thought I'd sell him and build Saryn. I'm a stay at home Dad, so I don't have the opportunity, keys or plat to farm/buy Saryn prime (I've had to abort halfway through a mission because a baby woke up). What's the current consensus on her since nerfs, buffs and such? I find it harder to find good info on the non prime version.

21 answers to this question

Saryn is amazing, but requires a lot of effort. Not in terms of Forma but in terms of learning how to play her. There are other frames which can perform in a similar fashion at much lower risk. Sadly, the non-prime version lacks the stats that made the Prime good. Which is sprint speed, armour and a huge buff to her energy pool.

Default version performs decently but will fall off at later levels when more energy is needed. Not to mention sprint speed and armour to stay alive.

Though, if you're not planning to play Excal anymore, I'd say go for it.

Edited by Rambit23Z

Anytime someone asks this question about Saryn it sparks a big debate. There is no real consensus. I personally think she is really good if you mod for her spores and use them, her other abilities, and weapon elementals to enhance Miasma. Her abilities have a synergy that most other frames don't have.

Edited by RideaTear

I know it spawns controversy,  but it's kinda like reading guitar reviews online. Everyone gives and opinion I can use to decide (and I also knew somebody would tell me how good the prime version is. Uh, thank you, but not as helpful,ha ha) Farmed my parts last night and wanted the experienced opinions you guys have to offer.

Saryn's normal variant is pretty good if yu intend to use her to test her out, get a feel for her.

Saryn Prime has very significant buffs to her caster playstyle, eg. larger Energy Pool.

I would not suggest selling Excalibur of all frames because he is not exactly easy to farm for newer players off Raptor.

Obviously there is always the option to earn 20 Plat off Trade and buy an extra Warframe Slot.

Saryn and Excalibur comparison : They are very different frames, despite both being Damage Dealers.

Excalibur is a very simple frame to mod and use, hence his placement in the starter lineup as well as being able to used at high levels of play.

Saryn is a tad more complicated as building her and playing her actively needs a good understanding of how her abilities interact with each other as well as certain weapon selections (Saryn's Spore can interact with Toxin or Gas based damage from weapons) 

Pros of Excalibur would be ease of use, fire and forget abilities, very easy to play and very useful in all situations.

Pros of Saryn would be an alternative form of Damage frame, majority of her damage is dished out as DoTs, but certain cases allow her Damage to break logic and go straight into the 100,000s

If yu are willing to put in effort to mod, practice, and learn Saryn properly, yu would find her pretty fun to play, if not I'll say don't dip yur toes in and abandon her halfway, she is not initially easy to grasp. 

This thread has pretty much everything about how to make new Saryn obliterate everything.  Great read.  Prime's certainly better, but as long as you don't shareplay it or something, you're not going to be constantly feeling what you're missing, it just might be a little more difficult than people with prime make it out to be because of the slight stat diffs.

3 hours ago, YasaiTsume said:

I would not suggest selling Excalibur of all frames because he is not exactly easy to farm for newer players off Raptor.

Actually, Excal drops off Ambulas, Raptor drops Nova.

Easy mistake though, since both bosses are really bland.

I think your problem is platinum more then "what is the next frame i should use?"

Do some void missions, get some prime parts, sell them via warframe.market to get plat.  Most people woulnd't have a problem with you joining a Exterminate, or sabotage as a Valkyr.. maybe even a survival.

As far as sayrn.. it is a highly specialized frame, and the augment "Regenerative molt" is one of the best augments for it, and makes it so much easier to play her.  My suggestion is to use Ember, if you can get the WoF agument you can pretty much clear the system with just that frame.. and will get a lot more milage out of it then you would with Sayrn.

Saryn is a lot of fun, even the base version (needs a flow and/or some energy restores to thrive in high-level missions however. Absolutely need a Flow on her for Energy Reduction Sorties if you ever want to use Miasma) though some homework on how her abilities (especially Spores) work and interact with each other (and toxin procs) is required to get the most out of her.

However... I'm going to take a guess from your preference of Rhino and Valkyr over Excal that you enjoy the tanky, nigh-unstoppable frame. Saryn could fit that roll, she has the health and shields for it, and Regenerative Molt does amazing things for surivability (though the extra 50 armor Saryn Prime gets... well, you've already read this line before), but I would also look into Frost and Chroma, two other tanky frames. Chroma can get something like 96% armor mitigation with the right setup, and you should be able to do the quest that unlocks him once you hit MR 5, and Frost's Snow Globe ability will make you lots of friends for Defense and Excavation missions (though caring for a baby might limit your participation in endless missions like those.) Maybe just keep them in the back of your head when you're looking for your next frame past Saryn.

Edited by Foefaller

I thought I'd give her a shotgun and stug. I like the idea of spreading some toxic naste around and give more than take,ha ha.  I tend to mod for efficiency,  health, armour and shields. Shields replenish between waves or after a moment of running like a squirrel (in a literal sense due to space ninja skills). Do melee weapons work/work well with spores? 

Edited by (PS4)forChristsake

11 hours ago, Rambit23Z said:

Health and armour. Shields only really work if you can instantly replenish them, such as Mag or Trinity.

Or have a Raksa Kubrow. I believe max rank Protect restores 300 shields every seven seconds, and as long as it's their first precept she (mine's a she) would do it as long as you have any shield damage, rather than only when you completely lose all your shields like the sentinel version.  

...but that would mean not taking Carrier (Prime) and who would dare suggest such a thing? :P

Yes I'm aware a Raksa is no sub to augmented Shield Polarize or augmented EV, especially once you get to 80+ enemies, but it is there...

On 4/3/2016 at 2:32 PM, BrokenBullet said:

Excalibur has gotten a rework and is extremely good. Saryn's recent rework has sparked some controversy. But overall, Saryn is actually pretty good!

Just use the wiki to find info! http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Saryn

You can find her parts from Kela De Thyam, who is a boss on Sedna.

I hope this helps!

I think alot of the controversy for Saryn is she's now no longer a 1-trick pony/1-ability spam and requires more micro-management to ensure her ult does maximum damage, personally I like her (mainly because of regenerative molt) but I do find myself gunning things down most of the time due to the added micro-management

4 minutes ago, Foefaller said:

Or have a Raksa Kubrow. I believe max rank Protect restores 300 shields every seven seconds, and as long as it's their first precept she (mine's a she) would do it as long as you have any shield damage, rather than only when you completely lose all your shields like the sentinel version.  

...but that would mean not taking Carrier (Prime) and who would dare suggest such a thing? :P

Yes I'm aware a Raksa is no sub to augmented Shield Polarize or augmented EV, especially once you get to 80+ enemies, but it is there...

I just use Carrier Prime and toss the shield restoring mod on it

Just now, (XB1)Snicket002 said:

I just use Carrier Prime and toss the shield restoring mod on it

Shield restoring sentinel mod only fires off every 30 seconds (though it is a full restore at max rank) Raska can do it as fast as every 7.

But like I said, to suggest any companion other than Carrier Prime is blasphemy to most people, I just wanted to point out that you don't have to be a Mag or Trin to get some tankiness out of your shields.

3 minutes ago, Foefaller said:

Shield restoring sentinel mod only fires off every 30 seconds (though it is a full restore at max rank) Raska can do it as fast as every 7.

But like I said, to suggest any companion other than Carrier Prime is blasphemy to most people, I just wanted to point out that you don't have to be a Mag or Trin to get some tankiness out of your shields.

really Shields aren't what determine your tankiness, that's armor since shields are not affected by armor, if an attack would take off 100 shields it's gonna take off 100 regardless of if you have 10 armor or 600 armor. Shields just kind of help cushion the blow by absorbing attacks before your tankiness comes into play.

Also yes how dare you suggest such a scandalous idea of not using Carrier Prime XD. Actually I regret ever using carrier prime because now I'm so d*mn lazy I can't do missions without him picking up stuff.

1 hour ago, Foefaller said:

You got a point. I prefer Life Strike for self-preservation. Thing is, no Kubrow would survive my playstyle anyways. It's highly inhospitable.

I'm not exactly sure if the nonprime variant is rly worth it...

Saryn got a huge change with her rework. Miasama got replaced with her spores as her main source of damage....the best ways to use her are eather in combination with radial weapons to spread spores or in combination with decent melee weapons to spread poison with the spores... the first option is easy bombing and the second one amazing scaling damage, requires melee range tho, what's bluntly said not the best idea on her non prime...

The learning curve isn't as bad as many claim it to be, it's rather the result of denyal many people seem to be in about her.

To summ it up

Spores do damage by themselfs and spread spores to surrounding enemys when destroyed.

Poison if present on a spored enemy adds in the full extend of the damage that set it to the spores if destroyed and is spread with them

Spores if destroyed have a chance to eather set viral or poison status. 

Poison and viral status have a positive impact on the damage of her miasama and molt.

The way to reach her max per head damage is by activating toxic leash and attacking enemys to set and spread poison.

For low lvl bombing eather spore enemys or better set molt, spore it (50% power cost) and destroy them on it.

The whole thing offers huge damage assist (viral=+100% damage in reality, poison adds to the thing independent of the attacking source), damage by itself is awesome but she is kinda difficult to approach and use and needs endgame stuff to perform best (naramon, tonkor, torid and so on.)

My personal advice is to skip saryn and getting saryn prime later on. If you like the concept, grabb banshee instead (seriously. Has the same type of damage assist with a slightly better focus on CC and group utility and less focus on radial damage.) She is also a glass cannon but definitly easyer to approach as silence covers you a little bit (works just as good with the same tools. Silence+naramon=god mode)

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108