Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rust assigns you your sex

TheErebus.

http://www.pcgamer.com/rust-now-assigns-players-a-random-permanent-gender-developer-explains-why/

Previously, Rust would first give you your own schlong size based on your steam ID (meaning that it's permanent), then they tied it to your character's race and now they tied it with your sex. Meaning that you could be a female, and you would have to live with it.

This move caused quite a bit of backlash from their community, however they justify it by saying they haven't removed anything because there wasn't any options to begin with.

Honestly...I don't agree with this. It's not the idea of playing a female character that bugs me, but it's lack of choice. Imagine if in the Second Dream quest 

Spoiler

Your operator's sex, skin and race was chosen for you and you weren't allowed to change anything. Yeah, you'd probably not care for the character because you yourself have no connection with them.

1 minute ago, TheErebus. said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/rust-now-assigns-players-a-random-permanent-gender-developer-explains-why/

Previously, Rust would first give you your own schlong size based on your steam ID (meaning that it's permanent), then they tied it to your character's race and now they tied it with your sex. Meaning that you could be a female, and you would have to live with it.

This move caused quite a bit of backlash from their community, however they justify it by saying they haven't removed anything because there wasn't any options to begin with.

Honestly...I don't agree with this. It's not the idea of playing a female character that bugs me, but it's lack of choice. Imagine if in the Second Dream quest 

Hide contents

Your operator's sex, skin and race was chosen for you and you weren't allowed to change anything. Yeah, you'd probably not care for the character because you yourself have no connection with them.

Actually i've recently seen an interesting video about this: basically Rust character creation works like... real life. You get what you get and that's it.

One of the most bizarre things is that some players managed, to their surprise, run into racism issues because the game made them black by chance.

Very, very bizarre...

5 minutes ago, Artek94 said:

Actually i've recently seen an interesting video about this: basically Rust character creation works like... real life. You get what you get and that's it.

One of the most bizarre things is that some players managed, to their surprise, run into racism issues because the game made them black by chance.

Very, very bizarre...

People use the real life example to justify this, but it's a game. Not real life.

Just now, TheErebus. said:

People use the real life example to justify this, but it's a game. Not real life.

No one said that a game can't act and threat you like real life... Ofc that would be a very unpopular and (probably) hard one, but still - there are no rules for games besides one: it must sell itself and it must sell good. Everything else is secondary concern, if a concern at all.

5 minutes ago, Artek94 said:

No one said that a game can't act and threat you like real life... Ofc that would be a very unpopular and (probably) hard one, but still - there are no rules for games besides one: it must sell itself and it must sell good. Everything else is secondary concern, if a concern at all.

Fair point, we'll just have to see the sales of the game to see if their choices either negatively or positively affects the sales. 

2 hours ago, Jeffrey94 said:

So now we get anatomically correct nude females as well as the old donger guys.

I don't see how this could backfire at all

That's not the actual point. He was referring to:

4 hours ago, TheErebus. said:

It's lack of choice.

Roleplay can never be complete without the ability to decide who do you want to be. Take away this aspect just literally takes away the whole purpose of playing as your own favorite survivor trapped in island.

2 hours ago, Freelancer27 said:

Roleplay can never be complete without the ability to decide who do you want to be. Take away this aspect just literally takes away the whole purpose of playing as your own favorite survivor trapped in island.

You say "take away this aspect" but Rust never had any, and was never going to as Facepunch were very clear about their intentions. Rust isn't an RPG, if you want customization then clearly you're looking at the wrong game and the devs seem like they're the first to acknowledge this. All you get there is an in-game representation of your account's ID given to you by Steam.

6 hours ago, TheErebus. said:

You know what's funny is that I think that would have made a lot more sense

because I don't buy 14 year old kids sitting in a magical chair completely changing their own appearance and gender on a whim as I would buy a preset randomized character. But Warframe in general markets itself as a game that cares deeply about player customization so the example is fairly invalid if we're still talking about the Operator as a player avatar, not some NPC that after the quest wouldn't even be on the ship. Understandably Warframe wouldn't do what Rust did because it's not even in the same position as Rust is in to begin with.

I'm entirely fine with this. It was a decision made by the makers and owners of something, and it was explained with an acceptable degree of sensitivity and understanding.

What's more, it might lead to some interesting discussion of "real world" issues.