Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I have rediscovered melee Volt, and he is formidable.

Inmemoratus

Since I recently obtained Primed Reach I stuck it on Orthos Prime and messed around with it. When I tried it on Volt I was totally blown away. The long reach is great for both raw AoE damage and building the combo counter, and Volt's speed is also great for damage and getting to enemies faster to maintain the combo counter... But together these two things become something greater than the sum of its parts. He cleaves down groups of enemies efficiently to build the combo counter fast, and he moves to the next group fast so he is less likely to lose the combo. The range combined with the speed also affords Volt a lot more survivability, as he can cut down enemies before they have time to attack him.

I'm now formaing up an Atterax because I'm looking for alternatives to the Orthos Prime, and I tested the range and I believe it actually has slightly more range. I didn't like the Burning Wasp stance so I switched to the other one. Burning Wasp seems to have a very narrow hitbox, can any whip users confirm? Anyway, Atterax seems incredibly promising because it can red crit with body rush.

I wasn't sure how good this actually is but the other day I reached a 1000 hit combo during a grineer survival sortie so I'm pretty confident about it now.

Here are the mods on my Volt Prime. It's my general build but I honestly wouldn't change anything for melee anyway.

e2c2ef6fa2.jpg

The weapon build just needs Body Count, Primed Reach, and as much damage as possible, on a weapon with long base reach. I don't use Lifestrike, totally doesn't synergize with this. By just sitting on max energy and sustaining with zenurik + energy orbs I'm better off. Any energy spent to gain health would give me less EHP. However, I have to be careful of the QT stagger so I avoid damage as much as possible by either dodge rolling or killing enemies before they attack.

Anyway I'm posting about it because before this I had trouble reaching high melee combo counters, but with this I do easily. I also get highest damage in the mission frequently. I think that'll be even more frequent when my Atterax is finished. That thing has insane crit stats.

Melee Volt Prime is one of my most favourite things to play!  It is immensely satisfying and entertaining to no end.  I run a Scindo Prime with Cleaving Whirlwind stance on.  With speed enabled, it's a deadly cyclone of destruction!  When running new players through void for the first time I put up a shield for them to stay safe and wow them with my destructive speed ax. :)

1 minute ago, Darkwave1098 said:

You know what's even better with Volt? Galatine + Cleaving Whirlwind + Bloodrush + Berserker = SPIN TO WIN

Was just typing this and you posted it already XD

Why no Shocking Speed for melee Volt? The cc from it would make Volt take a lot less damage from close up and offers a good amount of cc regardless. Also I feel like life strike on melee Volt is almost required since you'll be taking damage regardless especially since volt has no way of healing himself unless you're relying on frames that can heal you or using health restores which limits mobility.

re: Galatine - I haven't tested any heavy blades with Primed Reach but I doubt it would have nearly as much range as Orthos Prime or the whips, and range is key! Like I said, speed and a long range weapon together become something greater than the sum of its parts.

5 minutes ago, ZeroGenmu said:

Why no Shocking Speed for melee Volt? The cc from it would make Volt take a lot less damage from close up and offers a good amount of cc regardless. Also I feel like life strike on melee Volt is almost required since you'll be taking damage regardless especially since volt has no way of healing himself unless you're relying on frames that can heal you or using health restores which limits mobility.

Like I said, with primed reach on a long range weapon I just kill enemies before they attack me.

Lifestrike reduces my damage output for something I don't need. Energy is my health. :P I just spent 20 minutes running around at 2 health due to toxin procs and somebody asked how I wasn't dead. So that's about how much I care about healing.

Edited by Inmemoratus

7 minutes ago, Inmemoratus said:

re: Galatine - I haven't tested any heavy blades with Primed Reach but I doubt it would have nearly as much range as Orthos Prime or the whips, and range is key! Like I said, speed and a long range weapon together become something greater than the sum of its parts.

Yeah but dude, you gotta consider that you can SPRINT while doing the whirlwind combo.

You can literally spin back in time with how fast you'll be going.

Edited by Darkwave1098

7 minutes ago, Inmemoratus said:

Like I said, with primed reach on a long range weapon I just kill enemies before they attack me.

Lifestrike reduces my damage output for something I don't need. Energy is my health. :P I just spent 20 minutes running around at 2 health due to toxin procs and somebody asked how I wasn't dead. So that's about how much I care about healing.

Primed reach on orthos prime only extends it to 10m though. So unless you were only fighting infested then you're still going to get shot and take damage. And yes your energy is your health until you start taking massive dmg and can't maintain your energy pool from having your health being drained in which case life strike would probably be more efficient. And you wouldn't even need to have a max ranked life strike, unranked would be enough. 

3 minutes ago, ZeroGenmu said:

Primed reach on orthos prime only extends it to 10m though. So unless you were only fighting infested then you're still going to get shot and take damage. And yes your energy is your health until you start taking massive dmg and can't maintain your energy pool from having your health being drained in which case life strike would probably be more efficient. And you wouldn't even need to have a max ranked life strike, unranked would be enough. 

This is where Speed comes in. With only the 10 meter reach on any other frame you're easily going to take damage but with Volt you just get in there and destroy them. Of course, I'm at 184% power strength with Rush in my exilus slot so my ground speed is ridiculous. Speed is doing +92% which is multiplicative with my 1.3 with rush.

But anyway, with only Speed it's kinda iffy but with Speed and a 10 meter weapon it's easy to kill stuff before it attacks.

Also keep in mind Volt's got a high shield stat. 1110 with maxed redirection, so I'm not constantly getting my energy damaged. It mostly absorbs slash/toxin procs. I do need to be evasive enough to keep my shield up because the main danger of taking lots of damage to energy is the stagger. Also, my companion has that mod that recharges my shield and that makes a big difference in certain situations.

if you're looking for Melee Weapons with long Range, Whips are definitely something to look at, but so are Whipswords. Mios and Lacera are different enough to be different preferences.

since Range is all you're really interested in - i have good times of swinging the hook end of my whip through groups of Enemies that are upwards of 25 Meters away, through a wall/door, in the next room.

30 minutes ago, ZeroGenmu said:

Why no Shocking Speed for melee Volt?

Shocking Speed has a 3m Range - he's using long Range Melee Weapons - he'll almost never be close enough to actually shock anything.

12 minutes ago, ZeroGenmu said:

Primed reach on orthos prime only extends it to 10m though.

it's ~10.5-14.5 Meters depending on which swing.

48 minutes ago, Inmemoratus said:

Any energy spent to gain health would give me less EHP.

now hang on, that's not even close to true.
the cost to use an Unranked Life Strike is 7E.
7E through Quick Thinking on Volt Prime is worth 21 Health.

5% of your Melee Weapon's Damage, could not be less than say, 100 Health, unless fighting Enemies your Melee Weapon does single digit Damage to (like, Level 300 Armored Heavies)
for example, an Orthos Prime with just Pressure Point and 2 90% Elementals, on paper, 5% is already 20 Health(25 effective on Volt Prime). (and in Gameplay would be normally 30 Health - 37.5 effective on Volt Prime).
basically, it's impossible for Life Strike to not be using Energy more efficiently in terms of survivability. whether you use it or not is up to you.

i don't know where you got your numbers from, but my guess is you didn't get any numbers.

6 minutes ago, taiiat said:

if you're looking for Melee Weapons with long Range, Whips are definitely something to look at, but so are Whipswords. Mios and Lacera are different enough to be different preferences.

since Range is all you're really interested in - i have good times of swinging the hook end of my whip through groups of Enemies that are upwards of 25 Meters away, through a wall/door, in the next room.

Shocking Speed has a 3m Range - he's using long Range Melee Weapons - he'll almost never be close enough to actually shock anything.

it's ~10.5-14.5 Meters depending on which swing.

now hang on, that's not even close to true.
the cost to use an Unranked Life Strike is 7E.
7E through Quick Thinking on Volt Prime is worth 21 Health.

5% of your Melee Weapon's Damage, could not be less than say, 100 Health, unless fighting Enemies your Melee Weapon does single digit Damage to (like, Level 300 Armored Heavies)
for example, an Orthos Prime with just Pressure Point and 2 90% Elementals, on paper, 5% is already 20 Health(25 effective on Volt Prime). (and in Gameplay would be normally 30 Health - 37.5 effective on Volt Prime).
basically, it's impossible for Life Strike to not be using Energy more efficiently in terms of survivability. whether you use it or not is up to you.

i don't know where you got your numbers from, but my guess is you didn't get any numbers.

You're right I just wasn't really thinking when I wrote that about the EHP. But even so I only have 300 max health which is a drop in the bucket. The energy pool is just an emergency thing for burst, and my energy sustain easily outpaces slash/toxin procs so I stay at max. I guess the thing is I don't care about that 300 more health I could have, and I'd have to give up weapon damage.

oh btw I tested my Orthos Prime with maxed Primed Reach on containers with a marker to find the distance and the best I could do was about 10 meters. With Atterax I was able to get 12 meters.

Edited by Inmemoratus