Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DirectX 12, When?

-.SP.-G43riel

Let us not forget that DX12 is bound to Windows 10. It would, in my opinion, make more sense for DE to explore Vulkan, since it is decidedly cross-platform and could potentially reduce the costs associated with maintaining multiple versions of the evolution engine, as well as open up new markets (SteamOS, Mac, etc...) going forward.

1 hour ago, Tzolkat said:

Let us not forget that DX12 is bound to Windows 10. It would, in my opinion, make more sense for DE to explore Vulkan, since it is decidedly cross-platform and could potentially reduce the costs associated with maintaining multiple versions of the evolution engine, as well as open up new markets (SteamOS, Mac, etc...) going forward.

They could always survey before hand in order to see how many of the players actually changed to W10.

From a business standpoint, yeah vulkan seems Like the proper choice to take, but we still gotta wait to see

8 hours ago, Tzolkat said:

Completely rewriting the game engine to support some new-fangled, untested graphics API is of dubious benefit and takes development time away from gameplay development. This applies to both DX12 and this Vulkan whatever.

The current selection works just fine. I see no reason to go adding on more.

12 hours ago, Jeffrey94 said:

Completely rewriting the game engine to support some new-fangled, untested graphics API is of dubious benefit and takes development time away from gameplay development. This applies to both DX12 and this Vulkan whatever.

Not saying they will or should, just that it would make more sense to explore Vulkan over DX12 if they were going to, due to it being a cross-platform API which would allow the game to make the jump to SteamOS with additional performance benefits compared to using pure OpenGL.

Also, judging by your disrespectful tone, it does not seem like you're familiar with the topic being discussed.

22 hours ago, Jeffrey94 said:

As u Said, the current.

We're talking future, a not distante one. If a new tech kit, be it either Vulkan or Dx12, could make warframe look and run better while using less of your CPU why they wouldnt apply that to the game? 

42 minutes ago, -.SP.-G43riel said:

As u Said, the current.

We're talking future, a not distante one. If a new tech kit, be it either Vulkan or Dx12, could make warframe look and run better while using less of your CPU why they wouldnt apply that to the game? 

Because completely rewriting your game engine to use a new graphics library takes a lot of time and effort, and tends to have minimal payoff unless said library introduces some earth-shattering new way of doing things which allows for 1000x better efficiency (hint: it doesn't)

I write software for a living, and like 99% of the time it's better to just stick with what works than to completely throw it out in favour of The New Hotness(tm)

1 hour ago, Jeffrey94 said:

Because completely rewriting your game engine to use a new graphics library takes a lot of time and effort, and tends to have minimal payoff unless said library introduces some earth-shattering new way of doing things which allows for 1000x better efficiency (hint: it doesn't)

I write software for a living, and like 99% of the time it's better to just stick with what works than to completely throw it out in favour of The New Hotness(tm)

Youre not the -only one that does that for living, im into that too(still don't know why i picked this for me). And sorry but if updating for something clearly better and that will optimize it, as its the case here, imply taking time to learn or redo things,  then its not waste of time to try to adapt/ apply it, its investment of both business and knowledge.

According to Steve not before DirectX 12 natively support multi-threading which was not the case last time he answered this question (and is still not, afaik). Aside from that point I don't think it would be that much work to upgrade from Dx11 to Dx12, because this is essentially the same thing, not like using the Vulkan API which basically means developing a new graphic engine from scratch. Actually use Dx12 enhancement is an other matter but given the fact that Warframe is currently running with Dx9, Dx10 or Dx11 depending on your launcher option I think the different versions' API have enough in common to make it reasonably easy.

Although large scale use of Dx11 was only achieved 2~3 years after its release so it's probably to soon for Dx12.

• 2 weeks later...