Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Damage vs Grineer Damage

Rayeneth

Question

Good evening, forum. My question is about damage typing vs units. 

On the wikipedia it says that Corpus shields take more damage from magnetic but that the magnetic damage doesn't hurt the health bar as much

Now with the grineer, there are multiple units that have two categories (Cloned Flesh + Ferrite armor) but those enemies have only one health bar. I see no damage loss over the course of their lifespan.

My question: are Corpus fundamentally different in their damage taken? Or am I missing something?

Edit: I feel like no one read the post before answering, so I am rephrasing it.

The same Corpus enemy takes damage in two different ways, but Shields have different resistances than Flesh so a damage type loses effectiveness depending on which bar is actively taking damage.

The same Grineer enemy takes damage in two different ways, taking extra damage for Cloned Flesh and for Ferrite Armor, but damage doesn't fall off no matter which damage type is used.

Is this accurate? Do the Corpus have a fundamental difference in the way their damage received? 

Edited by Rayeneth
Clarity.

7 answers to this question

As far as I remember there are 3 things you could use to know what the enemy is.

Corpus use shields extensively, to which impact, magnetic and cold is good against. This is represented by their blue segment of health.

Grineer on the other hand use armor a lot. Meaning they take reduced damage from your attacks on top of any damage reduction from their health type, it does not deplete and will persist on the enemy unless you manage to reduce it with an ability or proc. Any unit with armor of any sort will have their health yellow.

Red health bars is any unit that uses no armor at all. Still they are resistant to some types of damage.

In general the way I see it is:

- Red health -> use slash, heat, toxin, viral damage

- Yellow health -> use puncture, cold, toxin, corrosive, radiation damage

- Blue health -> use impact, cold, magnetic damage.

In general, shields are not really a problem unless you are in really high level games or some special occasions (some bosses, events or the sort)... Or facing anti moas...

Infested are a kind of weird mix due to the ancients and the nanite moas that boost armor to enemies hit by their swarm. Slash, heat, gas and corrosive are good all around for them.

Please, be warned that what I just said is what I understand of the mechanics from experience mostly. I might be inaccurate.

Edit: I re-read the question and noticed that what I said is pretty much not asked at all. I underlined the most relevant to the actual question. I left the rest just in case.

This is what I get for visiting the forum so late at night instead of going to sleep...

Edited by HellEnforcer

On 4/24/2016 at 10:24 AM, Katinka said:

Toxin damage is effective against Flesh (+50%), it does reduced damage to Robotics though (-25%).  Oddly it's also listed as doing +25% to Proto Shields which is entirely redundant since it passes straight through the shields without affecting them.

On 4/24/2016 at 10:33 AM, ograzzt said:

What?

sorry for that, I meant the red bar or "corpus flesh" of robots (moa, fusion moa, etc) which is called robotic

40 minutes ago, silentdem0n said:

Corpus have shields that you have to deal with unless you go toxic which goes through shields but ineffective against flesh

Toxin damage is effective against Flesh (+50%), it does reduced damage to Robotics though (-25%).  Oddly it's also listed as doing +25% to Proto Shields which is entirely redundant since it passes straight through the shields without affecting them.

HellEnforcer explained it pretty well, here's my go at it.

Yes, Corpus health is fundamentally different from Grineer health.  The main thing to understand is that armor does not function like shields in this game.

Shields are completely separate from health and will protect the users health bar from most damage until it is completely depleted.  Armor, however, is a % damage reduction built into health (and does not apply to shields).