Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Law Of Conservation Of Energy

SonofRobin73

After seeing all of the posts about Ancient Disruptors saying "nerf this" and "nerf that" and "I HATE DISRUPTORS", I feel I should put in my opinion and propose an idea as well.

Personally, I feel the Disruptors are very annoying and make real cheap shots at you by stealing all of your energy. I just think "Where does all of that energy go? Does it  just disappear?".

So regarding the law of conservation of energy, I came up with an idea: 

What if instead of all of that energy disappearing (disregarding that law all the way too) and you having to search for a bunch of blue balls just so you use your powers again, there was a percentage chance that you get your energy back once you kill the Disruptor?

Any thoughts on this?

Also, I AM aware this is a game and is doesn't need to follow physical laws. This is just an idea for the sake of playability.

I like the idea, but it seems like it might be difficult to implement giving energy directly back. I'd rather have the Disruptor drop more energy orbs upon death if it stole energy from a player. It would prolly be easier to program, and less chance of bugs, too.

I like the idea, but it seems like it might be difficult to implement giving energy directly back. I'd rather have the Disruptor drop more energy orbs upon death if it stole energy from a player. It would prolly be easier to program, and less chance of bugs, too.

Fair point. That could work pretty well too.

what if it drains all your energy and deals half the amount as damage to your HP :)

There's conservation for ya.

Energy-> Explosion

Chill out, Satan :P

what is so difficult about shooting the big red dude?

having problems with disruptors? kill the disruptors.

i have solved your disruptor problem, you are welcome.

Personally I agree.

As frustrating as it is to have your energy sucked away, I find that it's necessary for the disruptors to be as they are now. They force you to change target priority if you want to keep an energy reserve... drawing fire away from the other infested allowing them to get to you. As a horde, I would like to see more enemies like this actually. Periodically appearing in the swarms to force players to adapt and remain tactically flexible.

The healers keep the rest of the swarm in fighting condition longer, and the toxics are just as scary to cuddle up to as the disruptors. We need more ancient types though, or perhaps even a middle class of infested, tougher than the current runts but not as big as the ancients. Why aren't there any yet? How do the infested change from a runner or crawler to an ancient?

Edited by FLSH_BNG

what is so difficult about shooting the big red dude?

having problems with disruptors? kill the disruptors.

i have solved your disruptor problem, you are welcome.

Get back to me on that when you're past wave 30+ on Xini.  Normal levels sure, not bad, but when you're swarmed and they are literally flooding you from multiple directions it would be nice if energy lost could in some way be regained. 

awesome idea

Personally I agree.

As frustrating as it is to have your energy sucked away, I find that it's necessary for the disruptors to be as they are now. They force you to change target priority if you want to keep an energy reserve... drawing fire away from the other infested allowing them to get to you. As a horde, I would like to see more enemies like this actually. Periodically appearing in the swarms to force players to adapt and remain tactically flexible.

I can understand that. It makes fighting more interesting because you have to choose priorities. Thinking about combat is fun.

The point I'm trying to make though is running around searching for little blue balls instead of fighting isn't fun. The disruptors would still take all of your energy and shields and leave you exposed (thus creating priorities again), but when you've finished them off you could have a chance at getting your energy back so you can keep on fighting.

The thing is with Ancients, especially on Defense, is your target priority should be Toxic Ancients. Sure, Disruptors will screw over your day, but Toxics will kill the pod by BEING NEAR IT. As such, it's not rare to be attacked by a Disruptor while trying to deal with a Toxi closing in. The OP's suggestion is reasonable, though it does need a few tweaks (what if that disruptor disrupted multiple teammates?).

Maybe if it dropped a ton of energy sustains equal to the amount it stole (would be hilarious to murder one and see 16+ balls flying out, but that'd lag the game hard)

I think it should either drop the energy it took from you (maybe less, the more you take to kill him after he struck you), or make a noise whenever he's nearby. Getting hit by a just-spawned disruptor that sneaked his way to you from the room you just cleared is annoying. Give him some alert sound like special infected in L4D.

What if instead of all of that energy disappearing (disregarding that law all the way too) and you having to search for a bunch of blue balls just so you use your powers again, there was a percentage chance that you get your energy back once you kill the Disruptor?

Actually Ive always thought that if you kill a disruptor, a bunch of blue energy balls should drop commonly, like 2-4 every time. It just makes sense that the Disruptor specifically has gathered a bunch of energy.

Honestly I don't know why they're so annoying to people. I find them quite easy to take out unless i'm being careless and don't see one coming. I think a low-moderate amount of your energy coming back from the kill would be nice though. Make the amount dependent on how long it takes you to kill it?