Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orthos Prime vs Tipedo

Undescribable

Question

So I'm a pretty new player, athough I've got a few months under my belt by now. I'm still pretty bad in the sense of modding and such things, but I'm enjoying the game.

I've been hearing a lot of people favoring the Orthos Prime as a melee weapon and it looks pretty cool. But I recently got my Tipedo out of my foundry and when comparing the two via the wiki it seems like the Tipedo is better in a noticeable way. While it has 15 total damage less, can't remember distribution on either weapon, it still seems better to me due to the fact that it has 0,16 more attack speed, 10% more crit chance and 5% more status than the Orthos Prime. To me it seems very worthwile sacrificing a bit of damage for crit, status and attack speed.

The only other thing I've been thinking about is the range on the weapons, which I can't seem to find in the wiki. Maybe I'm just blind and/or lazy, but would a bit of range really make it worth the stat loss?

I guess I'm just going to have to craft another Tipedo if I want the Lesion as well, cause I'm not just going to throw it away if it's the best polearm or staff or whatever for crit in the game.

6 answers to this question

I use both. Potato'd and forma'd both of them. It feels like the Orthos Prime has more range though, and it slices through enemies faster than Tipedo does imo. I don't use stances very much though, so I'm mainly talking about the quick melee. Tipedo has a sort of shorter range quick melee, whereas Orthos Prime has a more sweeping one. That's why I generally prefer to use Orthos Prime if I know things will get dicey, but I still enjoy and use Tipedo quite a bit. 

They are willing to sacrifice the loss of stats in favour of reach. Reason being is that with the Orthos and Primed Reach, you can hit enemies from around 6-8 meters away. Another reason is for the Orthos's stance Bleeding Willow which allows for a high-rate of AoE damage if you perform the combos. Personally, i like running the Orthos Prime. Attaching a Berserker and something like Miam Strike allows for the crit chance to be buffed to 58% for 28 seconds, and then continuing on a crit hit.

I only have Orthos P, but the reach on it is insane with primed reach. You can literally hit a whole room of enemies at once. Also the fact that Orthos does slash is quite nice. If you ever run vs infested, or a squad with 4x corrosive projections (quite standard for organised groups doing harder missions), the slash will be doing a lot better than either impact or puncture. 

Haven't noticed that I've been getting replies since I'm not very good at navigating the forums. Thanks for all the answers confirming the range on Orthos Prime. I always forget that they are different classes, must've confused myself with Lesion being in the same class as Orthos Prime.

On another note, why does my account information here to the left say that I'm an initiate? Do I link my forum account to my IG account in some way or something?

Again, thanks to everyone for replying.

Edited by Undescribable

Don't go comparing melee weapons from different categories, please. If you like a polearm, keep it. If you like a staff, keep it. The simple fact that they're different types of melee weapons makes them completely different with various pros and cons before you can even take the stats into account.