Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I need help focus farming

(PSN)ChiefStevy

Question

I watched a video a couple days ago about how to effectively focus farm, as I am still very, very new to the concept. The person in the video was getting very good results. However, the video was released 5 months ago, and I'm worried that there may have been some rework to the focus farming system. There have been differences between how he focus farmed and what I saw when I jumped into the same mission. For example, in order for me to get focus, I waited until this yellowish thing appeared on my minimap. I walked over it, causing a timer of about 40 seconds to start. I would kill as many enemies in the time allotted, and when the timer ran out, it showed on the screen the amount of focus I earned, which was not nearly as much as what was displayed in the video. The video did not show this at all; the guy just repeatedly chained stealth kills without stopping to do anything. So I was hoping for an explanation as to what sort of changes may have occurred for this to happen, or what may be some of the new more effective ways to focus farm. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. Like I said, I'm still very new to the focus farming system. 

8 answers to this question

Focus is just affinity. Experience. It's the same stuff. When your gear is 30 and has a lens, any experience that would have gone to that item instead goes to focus. If you want a lot of focus, earn a lot of affinity with your item that has a lens on it.

The yellow pickups are just a boost. During the timer you earn extra focus points.

There is no such thing as a "focus farming system". The point of focus is that you can do whatever you want with your maxed out gear and you aren't just wasting all the experience you're earning. If you go farm it that defeats the whole purpose. You'll just end up with maxed focus points for the day and still have other stuff you want to go do like quests and stuff... where you will earn no focus points and all the XP will be wasted because you already capped out for the day by farming...

I would recommend you just go do other things with your maxed out gear. For example playing T4S or T4D for long periods of time will net lots of experience while you're trying to get prime parts. Doing Sorties or raids with friends. Maybe just find a farm spot to finish off your daily cap quickly if you're running out of play time and want to get every drop possible each day.

To be constructive, if you really REALLY want to farm for it some reason I guess you'd look up how Draco works for farming affinity and just do that with maxed gear, but the Star Chart revamp could kill Draco any Wednesday now.

Edited by VKhaun

1. Grab an excalibur
  2. Build excalibur with full range and max strength & casting time
  3. Put a lens on him
  4. Find an EV trinity
  5. Find 1 or 2 buffer (saryn/volt/frost/ember with the augment mod for the first ability + max duration & strength)
  6. Go to draco
  7. Get the buffer to buff you & the trinity to EV as often as possible
  8. Spam 3
  9. Grab the convergence as often as possible
  10. Profit

Only problem with that is the need of having 2 or 3 other players willingly to farm focus.

The old farming focus way was to use stealth kills but that got nerfed quite fast.

Edited by Trichouette

Here's what you need to know:

• Focus points is earn when maxed-rank weapons/warframes/companions has a lens and is getting affinity, shared or kill.
  • Focus points is affinity converted by a low percentage, so to get a lot of affinity you need a lot of kills.
  • To maximize Focus gain either (1) make sure all your gear you want to use to farm has a lens or (2) if you have a limited number of lens only equip gears with those lens (always have a lens on a Warframe).
  • Stealth kills grants a affinity booster buff of +100%, succession stealth kills stacks the buff up to a cap of +500% affinity.
  • The "yellowish thing" is a booster that increase the amount of focus you get.

The stealth run is still good way to earn Focus points, usually between 4,000-7,000 10,000-18,000 per run.

Edited by NekroArts

The focus farming system is the same. It just depends on how you do it. Yes, it is just extra Exp that's not being wasted like VKhaun said, but there is a way to get the most out of a mission.

A Loki with a Silent Tonkor works wonders for stealth if you want to solo. I suggest high level exterminations against the Grineer for that. No pesky Corpus shields to bother you. I get about 15k on a good run, but I'm not very good at it, I've heard people getting 25k+ without affinity boosters, but again, I'm not very good at it lol. I do that when I have spare time between Clan missions though, and it does still work.

If you have a team that doesn't mind you getting most of the kills, an Ash's bladestorm in a t4 void will get you loads of focus! Keeping the mobs manageable until you get a focus boost and then bladestorming groups grants you tons. The more Heavies you can kill the better since they give you more Exp. The most I've gotten in a 25 wave defense was 50k with a booster. 2 of those missions and you cap out a day. It's a lot more fun and productive than Draco.

I did Draco a few times to see what all of the hype was about, and yes, you do get tons of focus IIIIF you are the one killing. Supports don't get so much. I learned the hard way after prepping my Frost for it. :( Basically all you do is stand on a crate and watch one guy kill everything. Seriously, that's all.

I understand what people say about going at a slow pace, and forgetting about stuff like this until you're farther in the game. But I also understand that some people have way more fun with a game after quickly earning more things that are normally locked. Focus farming isn't any different. You want to get your loot and play with it. I'm right there with ya. :) And after unlocking all 5 focus paths, I don't regret rushing it one bit! :)

Good luck out there Chief! Welcome to Warframe, and happy hunting!!

My answer, don't...

I have a couple of lenses on my favorite gear that I use in T4 and high level missions ect and don't try to fram it. I let it passivly build up as I play the games. Sounds odd right? Well I've found I'm far happier ignoring it then once a week having a look at my focus points and noticing I have 300k-400k to spend. I haven't been grinding and I'm much happier for it.

Grind it if you want, but you don't have to.

6 hours ago, BritishBob said:

My answer, don't...

I have a couple of lenses on my favorite gear that I use in T4 and high level missions ect and don't try to fram it. I let it passivly build up as I play the games. Sounds odd right? Well I've found I'm far happier ignoring it then once a week having a look at my focus points and noticing I have 300k-400k to spend. I haven't been grinding and I'm much happier for it.

Grind it if you want, but you don't have to.

^^This

You can also get focus points for up to 4 focus schools at the same time(by having a different type of lense on each weapon and frame). I concentrated on spending points on the passives and mastery for Zenurik and Naramon and now just put the lenses that drop from sorties on any weapon I'm messing about with at the time. All will be usable eventually... I guess?

Thanks for all your answer! It was very helpful. Just one more thing, though. In terms of getting focus from multiple schools, do you guys have a specific Warframe or weapons for farming each school? For example, an ash with a Naramon lenses, a Loki with a Zenurik lense, or do you concentrate on just one specific school?

7 hours ago, (PS4)ChiefStevy said:

Thanks for all your answer! It was very helpful. Just one more thing, though. In terms of getting focus from multiple schools, do you guys have a specific Warframe or weapons for farming each school? For example, an ash with a Naramon lenses, a Loki with a Zenurik lense, or do you concentrate on just one specific school?

I use different frames for different schools. I try to be as versatile as I can be so I can fit into the slot my team needs me in. :)