Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player what next

Bacms

Question

Hi guys,

I have just started playing this game (literally 4 days ago) and I am starting to feel I actually understand what I am doing. Well not really but at least I have a better idea. 

I am just about to get my start frame Mag (yes I know she isn't great at the moment given all the rant about her nerf/update) and I am starting to wonder what I should be aiming next. At the moment there seems to be a pull to do too many things at the same time which is kind of impossible so I am a bit lost. Is it better to stick to the quest on the planets and reveal as much of the galaxy as possible or is it better to just farm for upgrades and parts?

Also what would you recommend as a second frame to someone who like to run into enemies gun blazing and then finish them off with melee? For what I have seen it seems either Rhino or Valkyr are the best one for these, with the later recommended if you are interested in doing a lot of solo, which at least for now I am doing as I am not great at knowing what I am doing and don't want to upset other players. 

Also have started working on weapons picked the braton and blueprints for the Grakata and dual skana just mission the neurods for the Grakata at the moment. Were these good choices? What secondary should I be looking at? 

Finally any other advice? 

18 answers to this question

I always recommend new players work on completing all 260 nodes on the star chart.

Finishing more nodes opens up planets to extractor launches (which provide additional resources without playing missions).

Completing nodes also opens up more alerts and invasions which offer better rewards (forma, catalyst, and reactor blueprints).

Edited by (PS4)Magician_NG

Rhino is a pretty good starter frame, easy to accquire and to play, imo he also brings more for the team than valkyr.

A very easy secondary to get is the Lex, it has quite good damage and is really accurate. For a primary i suggest that u build a sobek, because until u can head onto senda u can farm the boss. The boss can drop a pretty good mod for the sobek, acid shells, which will carry u alone in lower content ^^ U may wanna ask in the rekru chat if someone would help ya with the boss.

I can answer all of your questions with one answer, though it may not be the advice you seek; do whatever the hell you want.

Seriously. Do all the missions. Use all the weapons. Just do it in your own time, based on what you think looks cool; not based off stats and what people say you should be doing. You'll find you get a lot more joy out of the game that way. And you're likely to experience more, too.

But if you don't want to follow that advice, at least follow this. Don't stat rush. Don't rush for the "best stuff". Just don't do it.

Welcome to warframe :) 

My recommendation is do whatever pulls you for that day. If you feel like you want to work on clearing the star map, do that. If you want to hit the quests do that. It'll change as you play, and to save yourself from getting the warframe burn out, I also recommend switching it up a little bit. It gets a little repetitive.

As you said there is a lot to do in the game. I find that if I pick a goal or two and work towards it it helps me focus a bit more. You might find you hit the missions that are a bit hard for your frame to handle yet, and might need to switch to a different goal until you get your gear up there to come back to it.

As far as your next frame, it depends on your play style. As you said, it looks like you are more of a tank/dps rhino and valkyr are good for this. Rhino is pretty easy to farm for, and a decent all around frame. Another frame you'll want to look at (probably down the road a bit) is chroma. He is super tanky and has a huge dps boost with his 3rd ability. 

For guns and all that, it also depends on your play style and preference, there's a lot of top tier weapons that I'm not a very big fan of. Take a look at this document, it might help you decide a bit. Just keep in mind some of these will be Mastery rank locked. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DdsYLFaWL58_mQeKewm_ejCQdfXM7hSVx9o4PbZ-yD8/edit

Good luck out there. 

The biggest problem for mag right now is probably that you need a lot of efficiency to make her work and you don't have that at the start of the game.

If you just want the best 2nd frame for starters you should probably just try to get Rhino. He can do a lot even without mods and he can still be useful later on. He also doesn't need a lot of energy, because worst case you just save all your energy for iron skin. His parts aren't that far into the starchart aswell. But honestly just get a frame that sounds like fun to you. Loki is great once you have some mods, because you can be basically permanently invisible and you don't even need a reactor or forma for that. With him you can run spy missions without any problem.

Unlocking a lot of the starchart is definitly a good idea imo. You do this by killing the bosses on the different planets. Starting to try farming stuff is probably not worth it at the start. If you see a fun weapon or warframe work towards that. Just don't try to get something that requires high mastery rank or drops in high level content. There are enough weapons that are easy to get.

At some point you probably want to start getting corrupted mods and do the second dream quest. Rhino does very well in the vault runs that you have to do for the corrupted mods, so that would be another reason to get him. Second dream gives you a lot of good stuff. Don't want to spoil anything.

Primary weapon I would recommend:

• The Zhuge is great weapon that scales pretty well into high levels and you can get it with mr1. It is a crossbow however, so it has traveltime and it has a lot of recoil, so definitly not for everyone.
  • At mr4 iirc you can get the hek and the tigris. Those are great shotguns.
  • I used the boltor for a long time.

Secondaries:

• Get a lex. You can just buy it with credits. It's a good weapon.
  • You should also take a look at staticor and sonicor. Staticor is generally better and is one of the best secondaries in the game. Sonicors damage falls off at some point, but it's a really good weapon overall.

Melee:

I used the orthos for a long time, so I can recommend that one for starters. Overall melee is mostly about personal preference. Also very important for melee is having a stance mod. They give a lot of mod capacity and some of them add a lot of utility and damage.

Also use the wiki a lot. If you want to trade stuff and you want to get an idea of the prices you can use warframe.market.

Edited by gluih

Welcome to Warframe!  I am very new as well, and went through the same basic dilemma as you.  Most of the folks in this thread have given some excellent answers and suggestions, but I really found some of the YouTube vids out there very helpful.  Particularly Tactical Potato's playlist I'm New What Next.  Very helpful, good suggestgions, etc.  Whatever you decide to go for, make fun your priority and it's really hard to go wrong.

What Gluih suggested pretty good, had those existed at time I came up through the ranks I would have used those preferred.  If possible, you get a 50%-75% pl discount I would drop 5-10 bucks into the game.  Do not by frames, and guns, but mods.  Some essentials (for frame) are Rage, Fleeting Expertise, Streamline, Intensify, Blind Rage, Continuity, Narrow-minded, Stretch, Aura (Steel Charge and Energy Siphon). Melee weapons Life Strike(for melee weapon). 

For a warframe I say that is a big toss up between Ash and Rhino.  Ash has great all around play as well as rhino.  And NO you do not need to play ash as bladestorm build to do decent damage and killing.  Been close to 2 years I think since I build my ash but it was not that difficult.  If you put some money into game and want a frame all around great into endgame with decent survival I would recommend Saryn and pay 10pl to someone for regenerative molt.

Until you get Void and Sortie missions all frames do well.    Just my 2 cents.

18 minutes ago, Soulvengeance said:

What Gluih suggested pretty good, had those existed at time I came up through the ranks I would have used those preferred.  If possible, you get a 50%-75% pl discount I would drop 5-10 bucks into the game.  Do not by frames, and guns, but mods.  Some essentials (for frame) are Rage, Fleeting Expertise, Streamline, Intensify, Blind Rage, Continuity, Narrow-minded, Stretch, Aura (Steel Charge and Energy Siphon). Melee weapons Life Strike(for melee weapon). 

For a warframe I say that is a big toss up between Ash and Rhino.  Ash has great all around play as well as rhino.  And NO you do not need to play ash as bladestorm build to do decent damage and killing.  Been close to 2 years I think since I build my ash but it was not that difficult.  If you put some money into game and want a frame all around great into endgame with decent survival I would recommend Saryn and pay 10pl to someone for regenerative molt.

Until you get Void and Sortie missions all frames do well.    Just my 2 cents.

Problem with ash is that you can't really farm him. The basic one drops from manics and the prime one is a pita to farm.

First of all I must say I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of replies I got in such a short time. It does look like this is a great supportive community. 

53 minutes ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

I always recommend new players work on completing all 260 nodes on the star chart.

Finishing more nodes opens up planets to extractor launches (which provide additional resources without playing missions).

Completing nodes also opens up more alerts and invasions which offer better rewards (forma, catalyst, and reactor blueprints).

Thank that does mean there is a point in doing it so I will start working on it, just how much of a priority should this be? 

42 minutes ago, Dragonblack175 said:

Rhino is a pretty good starter frame, easy to acquire and to play, imo he also brings more for the team than valkyr.

36 minutes ago, Mutt2679 said:

As far as your next frame, it depends on your play style. As you said, it looks like you are more of a tank/dps rhino and valkyr are good for this. Rhino is pretty easy to farm for, and a decent all around frame. Another frame you'll want to look at (probably down the road a bit) is chroma. He is super tanky and has a huge dps boost with his 3rd ability. 

Ok so Rhino does seem like the next logic step. I do prefer the looks of Valkyr but I guess Rhino would be easier to obtain and then I can get Valkyr afterwrds. 

1 hour ago, Mutt2679 said:

For guns and all that, it also depends on your play style and preference, there's a lot of top tier weapons that I'm not a very big fan of. Take a look at this document, it might help you decide a bit. Just keep in mind some of these will be Mastery rank locked. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DdsYLFaWL58_mQeKewm_ejCQdfXM7hSVx9o4PbZ-yD8/edit

Good luck out there. 

48 minutes ago, gluih said:

Primary weapon I would recommend:

• The is great weapon that scales pretty well into high levels and you can get it with mr1. It is a crossbow however, so it has traveltime and it has a lot of recoil, so definitly not for everyone.
  • At mr4 iirc you can get the hek and the tigris. Those are great shotguns.
  • I used the boltor for a long time.

Secondaries:

• Get a lex. You can just buy it with credits. It's a good weapon.
  • You should also take a look at staticor and sonicor. Staticor is generally better and is one of the best secondaries in the game. Sonicors damage falls off at some point, but it's a really good weapon overall.

Melee:

I used the orthos for a long time, so I can recommend that one for starters. Overall melee is mostly about personal preference. Also very important for melee is having a stance mod. They give a lot of mod capacity and some of them add a lot of utility and damage.

Thank you for the advice guys but @gluih I am guessing you forgot to type/paste the name of the first primary weapon/bow? So I don't see any love for the Grakata is this just because of the ammo inefficiency and in that case should I not bother to even craft it? 

1 minute ago, Bacms said:

Thank you for the advice guys but @gluih I am guessing you forgot to type/paste the name of the first primary weapon/bow? So I don't see any love for the Grakata is this just because of the ammo inefficiency and in that case should I not bother to even craft it? 

Sorry for that edited the post. I don't have any experience with the grakata. I can say that the twin grakatas are pretty good, but in terms of ammo efficieny it doesn't get much worse. In general most weapons aren't really a huge investment, so might aswell build them. You can always sell them later to free the slots.

1 hour ago, Cydro_ said:

I can answer all of your questions with one answer, though it may not be the advice you seek; do whatever the hell you want.

Seriously. Do all the missions. Use all the weapons. Just do it in your own time, based on what you think looks cool; not based off stats and what people say you should be doing. You'll find you get a lot more joy out of the game that way. And you're likely to experience more, too.

But if you don't want to follow that advice, at least follow this. Don't stat rush. Don't rush for the "best stuff". Just don't do it.

No I actually can understand your reply very well and it is one of the things that has always pulled me away from MMO/online games is the stat rush and the overall feeling that there are right and wrong ways of doing things so doing things your way is not an option. My question was more on the direction of trying to understand given all the options which ones are important to focus and which ones aren't. It is very easy to get demotivated if I find out that I used the warframe slots I was given with something that actually don't serves my purpose and then I get stuck. I also have another friend who just started playing and is a old time WOW player so it does have the "you should be doing this" mentality which ends up influencing me more than what I would like to sometimes 

25 minutes ago, Soulvengeance said:

Ah, see back when I farmed him he was boss drop.........too bad they changed that.

Yes he actually was one of the first I looked into after seeing some videos on youtube but then found out how difficult he was to obtain :(

13 minutes ago, Bacms said:

No I actually can understand your reply very well and it is one of the things that has always pulled me away from MMO/online games is the stat rush and the overall feeling that there are right and wrong ways of doing things so doing things your way is not an option. My question was more on the direction of trying to understand given all the options which ones are important to focus and which ones aren't. It is very easy to get demotivated if I find out that I used the warframe slots I was given with something that actually don't serves my purpose and then I get stuck. I also have another friend who just started playing and is a old time WOW player so it does have the "you should be doing this" mentality which ends up influencing me more than what I would like to sometimes 

Welcome to Warframe!

To be honest, the priority is on you. Mods are a great place to start, but then again, if you're looking at building either a weapon or frame you will need resources for them.IIRC some items require Tellurium which is only obtained from Arch-Wing. Nitain Extract is from alerts and I've heard you can get it from a resource cache in some sabotage missions but haven't found it personally.

Top priorities imo are mods and the first few planets. I stopped at Sedna and Phobos for about a month and went on a hunt for mods and started doing Void runs. If you clear all nodes on a planet you open up the chance to do Nightmare missions on that planet. Basically the same mission but with harder enemies and things like no shields, vampire mode, timed mode, etc.

Don't worry about using up slots, each frame has its own role in the grand scheme of the game and once you start doing Void/Vault runs you can start selling prime parts for platinum which you can use to buy more slots :D

If you ever need help with a mission just shoot me a message in game if I'm online!

What I would strongly recommend, is: Do the Stolen Dreams quest, if you haven't done that already. Then, unlock Uranus, and do missions there, or get someone to taxi you there so that you can scan an odd looking blue drone - doing this (and then successfully extracting) will start the Natah quest. Do that one, and it'll unlock yet another quest - do that third quest as well.

AVOID SPOILING yourself  regarding these quests, avoid wiki and forum threads regarding these - the quests are really, really good, and bring a lot of depth to the game world, and the rewards are really nice too. You don't necessarily need to beeline these, you can take your time, just keep them in mind and work towards them. When you do them, pay attention to the story/banter that goes around in them.

1 hour ago, Bacms said:

Really stupid question guys but how do I scan enemies? I have the scanner installed but can't figure out how to activate it during the missions

Press and hold Q to access your gear section and click on the scanner. The grakata isn't a bad choice btw, if you get a second one you can build the dual grakata sidearm (which is nice when you're using a bow or launcher as a primary), but as other people have said, don't rush the game, play it at your own pace.