Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scythe and Chain

Homer87

Hello everyone.

There is a type of weapon that I would like to see in Warframe - mainly a scythe and chain. It could be a puncture based weapon that uses the blade and whip stances. I think there is a bit more that could be done with the stance, such as introducing a reversed grip stance to some of the combos, and possibly a combo that utilizes the whip portion of the weapon in a different way than Snapdragon currently does. I was thinking something like the image below, but more closer to that of Hanzo Hattori of Samurai Warriors had.

Let me know what you think.

zce8ExJm.png  rAjuTP3m.png

I know what the weapon is, and as an animu fukboi I gotta want it in the game, but I also feel I should note that even though it'd be a cool weapon, it would be purely cosmetic. Honestly, there's no way to implement this weapon type without it being exactly like a Whip or Blade&Whip. 

*Samurai Warriors fan gets way too hyped over this*

[DE] Please tho

Also to the people saying it'll be just like a blade/whip, there are only a few of them, and another weapon/stance wouldn't hurt. (I personally don't like the current one.)

Edited by Cazzzz

• 1 month later...

I think this could be easily done with 2 scythes attach to the same chain and maybe implement a long or mid (not good at telling whats a good distance) range stealth kill using the charge attack some how. I could see the combos involving a lot with timing your e presses. not exactaly sure on the rest of the stuff but if it has the ability to preform a stealth kill from a distance there should be some form of con that balances that form of pro. maybe have the weapon deal the most of its damage on the blade part and have reduce damage the closer they are to you. that would make the weapon a bit challenging, though some players welcome the challenge I figure.

Do we really need another whip-type weapon? We've already got a scissor-sword on the end of a whip, and a whip class.

There are presently TWENTY-TWO types of melee some of which only have one stance and/or one weapon. Do we really need another? What is a kusarigama going to add that isn't already covered by whipswords and whips?

1 hour ago, Rehtael7 said:

Do we really need another whip-type weapon? We've already got a scissor-sword on the end of a whip, and a whip class.

There are presently TWENTY-TWO types of melee some of which only have one stance and/or one weapon. Do we really need another? What is a kusarigama going to add that isn't already covered by whipswords and whips?

At best, suggestion is taken as a whole - that includes a melee weapon and a stance. That brings something new to the table. At worst, if people don't like the weapon, it's mastery fodder. I loved Samurai Warriors, and loved playing as Hanzo. I loved the style of weapon, how he wielded it, and would like to see something to that effect in Warframe. Hanzo is a ninja, and we are supposed to be space ninjas. I suggested a weapon for the game that can use assets that are already in the game (minus the stance - that will require programming, animations, etc).

Love this idea, it's awesome! It shouldnt be a whip type though, more like a throwing melee with whip-like aspects. 

How about this: press and hold E to throw it, while throwing it you have a little bit of control over it. For example, You see a group of grineer ready to mow you down, so you hold E (requires you to keep holding E, possibly has a time limit of a couple seconds) and while it's out there, aim left or right. This will cause it to make a sweeping motion, damaging enemies hit with the blade, and knocking down enemies hit with the chain. With regular attacks, it acts as a normal scythe except for a couple combos that could allow you to swing it around on the chain a little bit.

Kinda weird, i know. just had to toss in my input :P

36 minutes ago, Homer87 said:

At best, suggestion is taken as a whole - that includes a melee weapon and a stance. That brings something new to the table. At worst, if people don't like the weapon, it's mastery fodder. I loved Samurai Warriors, and loved playing as Hanzo. I loved the style of weapon, how he wielded it, and would like to see something to that effect in Warframe. Hanzo is a ninja, and we are supposed to be space ninjas. I suggested a weapon for the game that can use assets that are already in the game (minus the stance - that will require programming, animations, etc).

Hanzo isn't really a ninja. He's closer to a samurai.

And again, new weapon + new stance is the problem. We already have twenty two types of melee. We really don't need another, particularly when it would be a weapon that massively overlaps with existing melee.

Also the Kusarigama was more of a ninja weapon in fiction than in practice. It's a loud, attention-grabbing weapon requiring large amounts of space, with a very inconsistent weapon at the end. Ninja were peasants, hence many of their weapons being farming equipment: Sai, Sickles, Kunai, Nunchaku and staves were items allowed to peasants to do their jobs.

Edited by Rehtael7

Hanzo isn't really a ninja. He's closer to a samurai.

And again, new weapon + new stance is the problem. We already have twenty two types of melee. We really don't need another, particularly when it would be a weapon that massively overlaps with existing melee.

Also the Kusarigama was more of a ninja weapon in fiction than in practice. It's a loud, attention-grabbing weapon requiring large amounts of space, with a very inconsistent weapon at the end.

We can go back and forth on Hanzo, but we will end up strawmanning each other, so moving on.

As it stands, we have a long way to go to MR 30. There will be tons of new weapons introduced, some that overlaps with existing melee weapons - take for example Sibear and Jat Kittag. Both overlap in their own ways, and it isn't necessarily bad. Use what you prefer.

Also, a 10 second google search on this does indeed give at least some historical reference to what the weapon is, how it was used, and around what time period it was introduced.

Simply put, a simple, "no, I don't want to see this in Warframe" would have done fine.

Just now, Homer87 said:

We can go back and forth on Hanzo, but we will end up strawmanning each other, so moving on.

As it stands, we have a long way to go to MR 30. There will be tons of new weapons introduced, some that overlaps with existing melee weapons - take for example Sibear and Jat Kittag. Both overlap in their own ways, and it isn't necessarily bad. Use what you prefer.

Also, a 10 second google search on this does indeed give at least some historical reference to what the weapon is, how it was used, and around what time period it was introduced.

Simply put, a simple, "no, I don't want to see this in Warframe" would have done fine.

Sibear and Jat kittag are two weapons in the same class, one of which is elemental focused, the other is physical. That's not overlap.

And a simple "No I don't think warframe would benefit from this" doesn't explain why. 

2 minutes ago, Homer87 said:

Cool. That doesn't conflict with ANYTHING that I said about it not being a weapon used by ninjas except in fiction.

Sibear and Jat kittag are two weapons in the same class, one of which is elemental focused, the other is physical. That's not overlap.

And a simple "No I don't think warframe would benefit from this" doesn't explain why. 

Sibear and Jat Kittag do have some overlapping - they both deal 130 base damage (sure, one is cold, the other is physical). They both have the same crit chance, crit multiplier, swing speed and slide damage. This is why I used them as an example, but I digress.

It's obvious, my suggestion gets a solid "no" from you, so I'm not even going to worry about it. Thanks for your opinion on this thread.