Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Iron Skin Variant

overdosed

Oh, Iron Skin. An ability that went from super op, to basically useless to super mediocre. Yeah some ppl will probably disagree with me, but hey I just wanna suggest a variant that will work on higher difficulties without being overpowered.

So with the current iron skin you start seeing diminishing returns with the increase of enemy level, until the moment where it becomes absolutely useless before youre even close to the best the game has to offer. And bear in mind that currently the difficulty is laughable and in the future well probably see improvements in this department so well have to think for the future aswell. 

A way for iron skin to work(in my mind atleast, with the only experience that i can offer being 17 years of gaming, with most of them hardcore) would be to - remove the time restriction and with every cast just add pure hitpoints to your shields coupled with some good DR.

The number added is kinda under consideration in the moment but i think that 1.2 to 1.5k would be enough when coupled with maybe 60% DR. But the ability ends and you lose the dr, only when all your shields have been depleted and youre down to your health thus being pretty vulnerable. And ofcourse while the ability is active you dont get any shield regen so if you wanna tank - youll have to fully rely on recasting iron skin.

This way youll be able to really tank and you also always know when youre close to loosing the armor so you can recast it without exposing yourself to the risk of being knocked down or disrupted. This would also give you the opportunity to always be ready for combat by just casting Iron Skin even before youre attacked, thus saving you some time. This ofcourse also has its downsides except being vulnerable after your shields are depleted as the aggro ability of iron skin would also always mean that youll be the the first one in the squad to be attacked and possibly ganged on by the whole spawn.

A good thing would also be for the player to be able to recast the ability even if his/her shields are still not depleted.

For now im pretty content with this variant but good suggestions are always welcome and I might change it up a bit if someone thinks up of some good tweaks.

Edited by overdosed

Buff the DR to 80% [max] and we're good. Gotta be better than Ember.

Ember doesnt get knock down immunity, and she also doesnt get 1.5k more shields. Also im sure she doesnt get immunity to her health from toxic gas(cant say for sure ember is building right now though xD). Ofcourse this is gonna need some play testing but 80% sounds too much. Really depends on how itll work ingame. Just forget the numbers for now, the important part is the mechanic behind the skill. The numbers can always be easily changed.

Edited by overdosed

I actually quite like that idea. At least you'd know if the Rhino was doing his job on defense. We need a bit of a speed boost at the moment as we don't seem to get in to any rooms first to aggro things any more lol. Plus it's really annoying when your in the middle of all the S#&$ and you have to guess when iron skin is going to stop. 

Edited by General-Griffin

Ember doesnt get knock down immunity, and she also doesnt get 1.5k more shields. Also im sure she doesnt get immunity to her health from toxic gas(cant say for sure ember is building right now though xD). Ofcourse this is gonna need some play testing but 80% sounds too much. Really depends on how itll work ingame. Just forget the numbers for now, the important part is the mechanic behind the skill. The numbers can always be easily changed.

The problem is his aggro. As soon as you keep aggro, then he takes too much damage :-\

The only question that comes up is what if you use the ability more than once? Does the additional shields stack or just replace? You'll have people yelling either way but I would hope that it would never stack.

I can see this being fairly balanced at around 50 to 60 percent damage reduction coupled with an additional 1.5K shields. That would allow Rhino to tank the enemies and have a visible indicator of how much he has left as well as not having to worry about it running out next to a toxic without warning.

The only thing that it brings up is how would poison damage be handled by this? Currently AFAIK poison damage does remove the additional 800 'shields' that it grants rhino. How would poison affect this idea?

And I think this is fairly balanced because even if you get back to your normal shield range you still have the DR and your shields cant recharge until you fully lose the effect of the IS, making it a bit riskier against some enemies because you hope that you can find more energy to recast it once your shields are getting low, or that you can have them chip off the last of the shields and dr without impacting your health too much.

Edited by Tsukinoki

But the ability ends and you lose the dr, only when all your shields have been depleted and youre down to your health thus being pretty vulnerable.

Ever heard of the Sentinel Precept called "Guardian"? OP through Sentinel so.. -1 for your concept.

Ever heard of the Sentinel Precept called "Guardian"? OP through Sentinel so.. -1 for your concept.

Guardian only replaces your shields when they are completely depleted.

The abilities DR disappears completely and your shield regen is re-enabled when your shields are completely depleted.

What would happen is they would have 2.3 shields with IS, it would get depleted over time because your normal shield regen no longer works, and guardian would return their shields to 800 once thier shields hit 0. They would lose the 60% DR. Their shields can now regen again. It didnt restore thier shields back to 2.3K only to their normal shield maximum.

How is that OP moreso than guardian is with IS? Currently you get 800 bonus shields. Your normal shields recharge. They deplete IS then your normal shields, they get recharged and they have to deplete your normal shields again.

The only thing that would make this "op" is the shield restores avialable in the market.

Edited by Tsukinoki

The only question that comes up is what if you use the ability more than once? Does the additional shields stack or just replace? You'll have people yelling either way but I would hope that it would never stack.

No stacking just getting it back up to max.

The only thing that it brings up is how would poison damage be handled by this? Currently AFAIK poison damage does remove the additional 800 'shields' that it grants rhino. How would poison affect this idea?

I dont really understand what do you mean by that? Poison will be affected by the dr and while IS is active itll just damage your shields.(the best thing would be for IS to completely neutralize poison, but thats gonna be op i guess)

Yeah the guy under you pretty much put you in your place, next time think before writing something stupid. Or, wait i have an idea here..... even if is and guardian worked like you think, how about, just hear me out here - they make it so IS is not affected by Guardian... Really, next time repeat what youre going to write atleast once in your head before you actually post it xD

The only thing that would make this "op" is the shield restores avialable in the market.

Just make it so that you cant use those consumables while IS is active.

No stacking just getting it back up to max.

I was just making sure. Its always best to go over ideas like this and cover everything that you would assume people would know just to be safe.

I dont really understand what do you mean by that? Poison will be affected by the dr and while IS is active itll just damage your shields.(the best thing would be for IS to completely neutralize poison, but thats gonna be op i guess)

I was meaning to ask the following:

Would poison bypass the additional shields and still affect your HP? Would the poison damage be mitigated by the DR?

Currently Poison ignores armor and bypasses shields to directly affect your HP. What this ability variation seems to focus on is adding just 1.5K to your shields so I was curious as to how it would interact with poison.

Sorry for not being clear on that question, you still managed to answer it perfectly. 

Just make it so that you cant use those consumables while IS is active.

That seems like a good idea. The other choice is, sure you can use it but it wont do anything. And lets be honest barely anyone uses those items, I just like having all of the bases covered. Edited by Tsukinoki

Yeah the guy under you pretty much put you in your place, next time think before writing something stupid. Or, wait i have an idea here..... even if is and guardian worked like you think, how about, just hear me out here - they make it so IS is not affected by Guardian... Really, next time repeat what youre going to write atleast once in your head before you actually post it xD

Rhino casts Iron Skin and gets +1500 shields (still making a skill called Iron Skin about getting more shields is pretty dumb), Shields get depleted after 3-5 minutes because 2610 shields (in my case) with 60% DR just don't go down easy. Befor they do you can recast it and replenish your Shields back to +1500 (again 2610 in my case) for only 50 Energy (less with Streamline). Blue Balls are all over the place and energy is not the problem and additionally 2-3 Energy Siphons (that you find easy in a public game) can replenish the whole Iron Skin costs without picking up Blue Balls until your shields run out. If they do Guardian kicks in, you lose your DR and +1500, get instantly back to 800 and can recast Iron Skin because your shields are full. After 17 years pseudo-hardcore gaming you couldn't see this? And you call my response stupid... jeez.

Rhino casts Iron Skin and gets +1500 shields (still making a skill called Iron Skin about getting more shields is pretty dumb), Shields get depleted after 3-5 minutes because 2610 shields (in my case) with 60% DR just don't go down easy. Befor they do you can recast it and replenish your Shields back to +1500 (again 2610 in my case) for only 50 Energy (less with Streamline). Blue Balls are all over the place and energy is not the problem and additionally 2-3 Energy Siphons (that you find easy in a public game) can replenish the whole Iron Skin costs without picking up Blue Balls until your shields run out. If they do Guardian kicks in, you lose your DR and +1500, get instantly back to 800 and can recast Iron Skin because your shields are full. After 17 years pseudo-hardcore gaming you couldn't see this? And you call my response stupid... jeez.

Well yeah your response WAS stupid and this one is too. Those are just arbitrary numbers and as I said the mechanic behind them is more important, but now, you have to show your superiority to erase the embarrassment of your previous post. Oh and didnt i say that im taking ideas? But i guess constructive feedback is something unknown to you so you can only say that something sucks because of 1 small aspect... Dont even continue arguing about this ok?

Hate to be the math guy, but 80% * 1.3(Max Foucs) = 104% which would be full damage immunity.  If affected by focus, 75% would be fine, cause 75% * 1.3 = 97.5.  I can handle only taking 2.5% damage.

Gentletenno,

I highly suggest people check their attitudes. Disagreement doesn't mean others are wrong, it means that they disagree. Stay rational, logical and civil. If you cannot find a common position, agree to disagree and walk away. You don't have to convince each other, you have to provide a compelling argument for DE. Additionally, you will not convince anyone to agree with you by insulting them. This general call to order is meant for all involved.

Thank you for your cooperation.