Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Still having difficulty, even with Frame and weapons at max rank

Dion_Starfire

Question

I'm having a bit of difficulty in missions on Saturn and Uranus (and beyond, presumably), even though I'm running a max-rank Nyx with all max-ranked weapons (Sobek, Spira, Dual Heat Swords).  I'm wondering what I should farm for next, or how I can make these missions easier.

Mod-wise, I've got:

Nyx: Fleeting Expertise(4), Streamline(5), Intensify(4), Stretch(2), Redirection(5), Vitality(4), Fast Deflection(2), Fortitude(3)

Sobek: Point Blank (5), Tactical Pump(4), Contagious spread(1), Chilling Grasp(2)
Spira: Hornet Strike (4*), Ice storm (3), Heated Charge (5), Pistol Gambit (3)
Swords: Fever Strike (3), Rending Sterike (0), Reach (3), Smite Grineer (4), Pressure Point (5)

My play style (with Nyx, at least), is to generally avoid unnecessary combat, using chaos and psychic bolts when a swarm of enemies needs to be taken out.

15 answers to this question

If you have around 15 plat to spare, I think you can buy Acid Shells for the sobek, it greatly helps it (you can get it from Kela de Thaym, but since you're having difficulty in Saturn, no way you could manage her). Scattering Justice can help too, and you can get it for 10p (or from the steel meridian). Replace Tactical Pump with one of those.

For Nyx you're better off switching Fortitude orFast Deflection for continuity, and rank up redirection and vitality. Also you can put a maxed aura for more mod points (Corrosive Projection or Energy Siphon are usually the best)

Edited by TheScytale

1 minute ago, TheScytale said:

Also you can put a maxed aura for more mod points (Corrosive Projection or Energy Siphon are usually the best)

Oh, I forgot to include the max-ranked Energy Siphon I include in almost all my builds.

Also, thanks for the tips. I'll give those a try.

Nyx has 15 armour which puts her in the group of most squishy frames.  You really can't get shot at all.  The durability increase to something like Excalibur with 225 armour is very noticeable when your mods are low ranked.

Also her CC abilities are "soft", meaning the enemy can and will still shoot at you if you chose.  Contrast that with Excal's blind or Rhino's stomp and those are hard CC that incapacitate the enemies for the duration.

Put those together and Nyx just isn't a very good choice (IMO) to use in clearing the star chart.  She's great later when you are more powerful overall.

For your weapons you need to be looking for the multishot mods like Hells' Chamber and more elemental mods.  Run a lot of spy missions.  Also run nightmare mode missions because you really want a Blaze mod.

Read the Damage 2.0 page on the wiki.  Which elemental damage types you use matters A LOT.

EDIT - you may have gotten a damaged Equilibrium mod in the starter tutorial.  Use it.  It is likely the only way you have to get health regen at the moment.  Restores are very expensive (for a new player).  Other things like Lifestrike are hard to get.

Edited by (PS4)Agent_CHAR

Try to max out your stretch and put in some duration on Nyx. Power range and duration is good for major chaos crowd control. Psychic Bolts does fall off abit late game.

For your weapons, I suggest ranking up your mods. If you like those weapons, you can try adding an orokin catalyst if you have any to increase their mod capacity. If not, then it doesn't matter.

For melee, try to add stances to your melee weapons. Stances are like auras for your melee weapons, increasing your mod capacity. The stances for dual heat swords shouldn't be a problem to get. 

Another thing you should take note is each faction has weaknesses to certain elemental damage. Since for now, you're having trouble in saturn and uranus which are grineer planets, I'd suggest using Radiation(Heat+Electric) or Corossive(Toxic+Electric) on your weapons as these two are most effective against Grineer armour.

For more information about which damage type works best against which faction you can check out the wiki page: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0

2 hours ago, Dion_Starfire said:

I'm having a bit of difficulty in missions on Saturn and Uranus (and beyond, presumably), even though I'm running a max-rank Nyx with all max-ranked weapons (Sobek, Spira, Dual Heat Swords).  I'm wondering what I should farm for next, or how I can make these missions easier.

Mod-wise, I've got:

Nyx: Fleeting Expertise(4), Streamline(5), Intensify(4), Stretch(2), Redirection(5), Vitality(4), Fast Deflection(2), Fortitude(3)

Sobek: Point Blank (5), Tactical Pump(4), Contagious spread(1), Chilling Grasp(2)
Spira: Hornet Strike (4*), Ice storm (3), Heated Charge (5), Pistol Gambit (3)
Swords: Fever Strike (3), Rending Sterike (0), Reach (3), Smite Grineer (4), Pressure Point (5)

My play style (with Nyx, at least), is to generally avoid unnecessary combat, using chaos and psychic bolts when a swarm of enemies needs to be taken out.

Sobek is a Impact weapon it is not very good against grineer.

Easy weapons to use against grineer: Zhuge, Boltor, Hek. (Piercing)

For secondary Sonicor is good as swap for Corpus if ever happen. Other fun options: Twin Grakatas.

Shield recharge is not as valuable. Could drop it in favour of more ranks in defensive mods and maxing what you can with power related mods.

You can grab Rhino Warframe., it is sometimes good nutt cracker.

Dual Heat Swords are not bad. But could try Dual Zoren, Atterax, Galatine, Tipedo, Destreza, Boltace

Smite X are the trap! better use something elemental in that place.

On melee always use speed (Furry mod). .

Try to avoid using not fully maxed mods. Better to have 2 maxed than 3 half way. Exeption is 10 levels mods, which could pause on 6/8 (not enought credits)

Edited by felixsylvaris

4 hours ago, TheScytale said:

If you have around 15 plat to spare, I think you can buy Acid Shells for the sobek, it greatly helps it (you can get it from Kela de Thaym, but since you're having difficulty in Saturn, no way you could manage her). 

Experimenting with that one as well (still like 5 formas to go lol) and goddarn, that Mod is frickin awesome.

Static + percentuall damage scaling off enemy health ae on kill is frickin strong! Couldn't put anything but 2x basedamage and acid shells on the weapon yet and I'm basicly destroying Draco in the leveling process...

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Aaanyway. Nyx is a somewhat difficult Frame for Beginners. Chaos offers very strong CC as enemys attack themselves, what is among the strongest damage sources in the game as you proceed trough endless scaling BUT it is very unrelyable and is somewhat unrewarding in lower titlesets.

Trying another Frame may therefore be decent advice. 

The usuall frame recommendations would be rhino (static ward, decent CC), valkyr (god-mode) and, similar to rhino but difficult to get, nezha, which is the CC/speed equivalent to rhino.

If you're part of a Clan, ask your clanmates of they could spare you nezha parts. He is rly worth the try!

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Thank you for the feedback all. I ended up just switching over to Excalibur and adding acid shells to my Sobek to get me through the Natah/Second dream quest missions (man I love the story line there, but some of those missions are pure frustration makers.

I'm going to add Rhino to my armory, see how that works out.

I've just gotten spoiled with being able to avoid/escape any combat just by throwing up a chaos.

7 minutes ago, Dion_Starfire said:

Thank you for the feedback all. I ended up just switching over to Excalibur and adding acid shells to my Sobek to get me through the Natah/Second dream quest missions (man I love the story line there, but some of those missions are pure frustration makers.

I'm going to add Rhino to my armory, see how that works out.

I've just gotten spoiled with being able to avoid/escape any combat just by throwing up a chaos.

Rhino is an excellent frame, as is Frost (which can be farmed Mars now, which is awesome).  Both are a tad on the slow side (max sprint speed modifier of .85, making them 15% slower than most other frames), but both are extremely durable when modded for armor.  Rhino's Iron Skin adds bonus HP that scales with both Power Strength and Armor rating (so put a Steel Fiber on for extra HP) and grants immunity to CC until it's gone (my Rhino Prime has over 5k hp for its Iron skin with no augments), while Frost has naturally highier armor (letting it ignore 50% of all HP damage) and Snow Globe, which makes a bubble of ice that blocks attacks entering it while still letting you shoot out.  Both also have hard CC skills as their Ultimates, with Rhino Stomp doing good damage and knocking people off their feet, while Frost's Avalanche freezes enemies solid and reduces their armor (making them take bonus damage).

As for shotguns, I heavily suggest the Hek.  It's got a small clip, but high damage coupled with low damage fall off at range and a tight spread makes it more viable at a distance.  The Shattered Justice mod also adds 200% multishot to it, and grants bonus armor and healing when the radial blast damage proc goes off.

Lex is an excellent sidearm, with high damage, high accuracy, but low clip size, and makes an excellent pocket sniper weapon for when you need to reach out and clobber someone.

biggest problem of ur nyx is lack of range streatch with rank 2 thats like 120% range or so i run my nyx with 250% range negative power and around 100% duration dont like too use more cuz i like too recast it but u still have 22 secs is more then u need if they are close too u put bubble and blow it will knock them down if not killing them when they are in the floor shoot them with primary while the rest are killing them selfs with chaos normaly dont use much the 1st ability since i run with low duration and sometimes it can be anoying too other players so i focus on chaos and absorve one for large range of cc other for close range and my secundaru is allways a castanas or a stug too charge me up
since u are new i recomend castanas and later one try stug  cuz if u are alone vs a army shoot castanas too ur feet press 4 press alt fire press 4 again and make them cry
byw i run with 80% power str or something like that

as survivel mods u dont need much cuz 90% of the time they are killing them selfs (or trying grinner take amost no dmg from them selfs cuz of armor)

and as other ppl sayd above u can try other frame maybe suit u better but dont let this guys fool u nyx is realy good frame both solo and team 
never forget while in absorve u can take tons of dmg before running out of mana

Edited by venon23

Well first of all, the builds you showed are a bit underpowered.

If you're building Nyx for Chaos then you want low duration and max range.(this way you can use it more often incase new enemies spawn)

I would put:

Flow, Stretch, Overextended, Vitality, Intensify, Streamline, Fleeting Expertise and Natural Talent. (Natural Talent is optional) 

Energy Siphon/Corrosive Projection for the aura.

For the Sobek:

Point Blank, Charged Shell, Contagious Spread, Seeking Fury, Hell's Chamber, Disruptor, Scattering Inferno and Blaze.

Compare your builds to these ones and the problem becomes obvious. 

You need better mods, possibly a reactor/catalyst or two if you don't have any on them, and some forma wouldn't hurt either.