Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

proxy companions: build your own killer robot!

(PSN)robotwars7

there's been a few people in the past mention how they would like a Proxy as their own companion, but what about if you built your own killer Proxy from the ground up? introducing..

"the Proxy update!" (placeholder name)

this update would allow you to build your own Proxy to help you in combat. it would act as a companion, equippable with a wide variety of weapons and support abilities, all of which could be acquired through in game means

how to build:

blueprints for different types of Proxy Chassis would be added to the Corpus Lab in the dojo. each of these would require research that uses up large quantities of Salvage and Alloy plate (something most players have plenty of) as well as some other materials. once researched, the player would build it in the foundry to make the basis for their new Proxy. the Proxy would also require specific parts that can only be obtained from killing various different types of Corpus proxies, and they could also come in different rarities to encourage farming. rare parts would also be of higher quality, and allow you to make a tougher Proxy. by using rare parts and investing more materials, you can upgrade your Proxy and access heavier types, new weapons etc.

- common parts would be the easiest but lowest quality parts, and would drop occasionally from regular Proxies.

- uncommon parts would Drop from Eximus proxies/Bursas

- rare parts would be higher quality, and would drop from Proxy bosses (e.g. Raptor), low chance of getting them from Bursas

- legendary parts would be the rarest and best, only having a slim chance of dropping from proxy Bosses.

once you have the specific parts you need, you install them in your proxy's chassis, and you have a working robot. now it's time to arm it..

weapons/armour classes:

each Proxy could be built with different abilities strengths and weaknesses, based on it's design, and each design would have access to different types of weapons. these are the types of Proxies you could build, with an idea of how they act.

- Light Moa: about the size and shape of your average Moa, these would be agile but weak offensive units, only slightly better than a Moa Specter, they could be upgraded with boosters to help them dodge gunfire, or a shield that absorbs damage for a few seconds. they can only carry light weapons, such as laser rifles, and small rail guns.

- Heavy Moa: slightly more armoured and tougher than the Light moa, but capable of using powerful lasers and shrapnel cannons, these would be a balanced, medium-weight proxy.

- Bursa-type: heavily armoured, a proxy built using Bursa parts would be a walking tank. it would be much slower, but capable of using snipers, grenades, rockets, pretty much any weapon, and would be able to absorb a lot of damage.

- Light Osprey - standard-sized Osprey, only using small rifles/grenades, but capable of easily dodging gunfire and having high movement speed. these would be the annoying little ***** that all Ospreys aspire to be.

- Heavy Osprey - Oxium Osprey/Attack Drone sized, having more armour and better weapons (heavier Machine guns, lasers etc.) but lower movement speed.

- Attack Drone - large raptor Sized Osprey that can only attack in outdoor areas, but is extremely tough and rains down heavy ordinance from above (rockets, grenades, cannons etc.)

- Hyena-Type: - an agile four-legged Proxy, that focuses on hit-and-run attacks and crowd control. medium armour and movement speed.

your Proxy would have access to 4 abilities: primary weapon, secondary weapon, melee and support ability.

- Primary weapons would be used for general combat by the proxy, and can range from fast SMG turrets to heavier machine guns.

- secondary weapons would be used situationally, ranging from Snipers and heavy explosives to close range shotguns and shrapnel cannons.

- melee attacks would mostly depend on Proxy type, Ospreys cannot melee.

- support abilities would be used to help Tenno in battle, these could range from deploying ammo drops and restoring shields to giving health pickups  and creating a small protective dome.

each of these weapons and abilities would require research, and heavier weapons may only be used on heavier Chassis types.

customization:

in addition to adding whatever weapons and abilities you want to your chosen Proxy, you would also be able to give it a name and colour it however you want using your colour palettes. if this ever made it into the game, cosmetic accessories sold for plat could also become a thing. you would only be able to have one proxy at a time, but you could change it's chassis type at any time using parts you have built, so if you want to go from a Moa to an osprey, it would be as simple as changing your weapons on a frame, and you would be able to change the weapons your Proxy is equipped with whenever you want in your arsenal.

how would this help the game?

right now we only use the Dojo for research and trading mostly. by adding the ability to research and create your own proxies, Dojos would be visited far more frequently, and Proxy construction would also provide the resource sinks that we so greatly need for common materials. in addition, players would be required to fight bosses like the Jackal and Hyena Pack in order to acquire the best parts for making the most powerful versions of weapons and chassis types. you could still settle for regular parts if you wanted, but since most people would be chasing the legendary parts, these bosses' nodes would see a lot more action than they currently do. and because the drops would be random (but weighted), farming would be encouraged.

but what about us, the Tenno? wouldn't having a giant killer robot doing all the work render us useless?

not at all, you aren't forced to build a robot, you may stick with whatever companion you choose, and when you factor in things like build quality, and weapon accuracy, having these proxies would only be like having a Kubrow with a gun, basically. if a proxy is killed in battle, it dies for the remainder of the mission, and has to be repaired before it can be used again. it would require some time investment once built, just like Kubrows, but instead of DNA stabilizers, you would have to repair it every so often, which would cost some resources.

but if I have a killer robot of my own, won't that make Specters useless?

not necessarily. your Proxy would have plenty of weapons, but only one support ability. if your proxy has an ammo dispenser or shield booster active, you might still need an Ancient Specter to heal you, or a Shield Osprey Specter if your Proxy doesn't help your shields in any way. there's nothing to stop you from using whatever specters you want, and they will still be very useful if you forget to repair your proxy, or if you feel a mission is too high-levelled for your current Proxy to withstand until you upgrade it some more.

what about PvP?

here's the great thing.. are you ready?

Proxy Deathmatches.

when not on a mission, you could enter your creation into a new Proxy deathmatch game type to pit it up against other player's creations (with some class regulations in place, obviously) to see who has the strongest proxy! prizes could be given to the winners, and maybe you could bet credits on who will win! even if there wasn't betting, it would still be pretty interesting, and would add a competitive element to Proxy building.

tell me what you guys think about this, wouldn't it be awesome to make and own your own super-proxy? any and all feedback is appreciated, but please try to keep the criticism constructive. feel free to add any of your own ideas regarding this as well!

TLDR: full customizable killer Proxy Companions that you build from the ground up. thoughts?

• 1 month later...

As a big-*PINGAS!* fan of robotics, I definitely like this concept.

• Tenno being capable of changing a proxy's chassis from an Osprey to even a Hyena like swapping weapons in a loadout feels like a good idea in my book.
  • The way of obtaining our proxies looks reasonable to me as well.
  • I'm actually also fine with a Proxy Deathmatch mode giving PVP gamers more to do. Even though I'm not very big on PVP...

My approval shall be yours for this concept.

BTW... Do you have any more plans that involve this concept? 'cause I'd really like to see more from this piece of work!

Sounds awesome to me. More companions always make things fun. As is, I usually switch between my kavat and shade, occasionally using the dirgia. I would certainly like something like this. Maybe have each proxy type have its own built in types of weapons, but require a precept mod to activate them. That way you could choose between making your proxy even tankier, having more utility abilities, or just being a walking armory, ready to open fire upon your enemies.