Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please make the alerts slightly less like a skinner box

Expletive

If you don't know what a Skinner Box is, I'll explain it in short. It's a box. In this box is a rat, and a lever that dispenses treats. Skinner found that if the lever only dispensed treats at a random interval, the rat would pound that pound that lever as much as it could. You can read more on this Here.

Personally, I would suggest some kind of event calendar, that will at least tell you when the alert will happen, if not what it will be. An example of such a thing I've seen would be Star Trek online which had a fairly convenient weekly calendar, with each 12 hour segment of events repeating itself twice.

Make ? alerts happens every hour and I'll be cool.

If I know the alerts happen at predictable times I can better set aside time to play and game and still feel like I'm progressing. I've found out that the moment I feel like I'm not progressing in this game all the fun just drains.

I don't mind them using gimmicks to keep me playing. I do mind how impossible it is to play this on any realistic schedule. I've got things outside of Warframe to do. They could at least not punish me for that. My lifestyle demands a more predictable pattern from all this if I'm going to keep playing and feeling like I'm making progress. Eventually I'm going to need stuff from those ? alerts.

Edited by Blatantfool

Not so good data analysis as Ced23rik would do, but i think it will make my point:

16.01:

12:41 19.34 21:37

05:36 12:38 19:32

21:04

19:01

02:45 10:12 13:07 17.43 18:02 18:20

03:05 14:09 22:02

Time of alerts and dates - they are not concentraded around single time zone, rather distanced in time. And rewards are probably RNG based, so numer of ? varies. And they really can't make everyone happy - I missed few Orokin Catalysts because I was sleeping, or i was at univesity. And they can't increase drop of those things, because it would defeat purpose of microtransactions. It would be nice if other alerts would be more rewarding ie. 500 creds for alert is a joke.

Not so good data analysis as Ced23rik would do, but i think it will make my point:

Time of alerts and dates - they are not concentraded around single time zone, rather distanced in time. And rewards are probably RNG based, so numer of ? varies. And they really can't make everyone happy - I missed few Orokin Catalysts because I was sleeping, or i was at univesity. And they can't increase drop of those things, because it would defeat purpose of microtransactions. It would be nice if other alerts would be more rewarding ie. 500 creds for alert is a joke.

On the other hand they could make the alerts individual, truly random, maybe add some crappy rewards and make them more common. If people could actively grind alerts for catalysts, there would be a whole lot less mad going around than there is now when a bunch of people miss an alert because it happened when they couldn't get on.

On one hand adding bigger randomization would be neat. n the other, I do like this "community cooperation" in informing one aother that some "?" is going on.

Also i don't think that client based alerts would be good idea - too easy to hack i'm afraid.

The best option is (IMHO) making other alerts actually profitable. 500, 100 or even 2000 credits is not good - I can make the same doing boss raid, and I can get some neat BP or rare crafting materials.

What about making alerts that drop even rare materials?

For example, an alert that, between rewards, lists "Neurodes" will totally be crowded by people. Obviously it shouldn't be necessary for them to happen on the planet that usually drops this material.

So we would have "? alerts", "material alerts" and normal ones that should be just time fillers.

I have a proposal about making 'common' credit-only alerts worthwhile, give it a read! [/shamelessselfpromotion]

Alert system definitely needs overhauling. As it is, it's arbitrary and annoying. I nearly missed a catalyst BP this morning, and had to stumble through the mission half-awake because god dammit I need catalysts and this system is daft.

Edited by Arcalane