Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag, Useless? What's Wrong With People

otaku0x

If you have to use this Crap skill to save the Wave Missions then perhaps you should join some "better" clan out there and see for yourself how the real Wave Defense looks like. Because any team that has to rely on this skill is... 

Who mentioned anything about a clan? For starters, I do high-defense missions with my clan. I'm on a three-person clan, so when they aren't on, I generally play defense missions or mobile defense missions with random players, you must know how bad random defense missions go if you dare talk about "Real" defense missions. 

It's pretty hard for a team to find the perfect balance between all the warframes...

Just give them enough time and maybe soon, every frame is on about the same level of fun/skills.

I like Mag.

But it is very easy to say what does not constitute a perfect team. Sorry to burst your bubble, but a team containing Mag is one such imperfect team.

I'm reading these, and thinking people just pass the word "Useless" off as "Not good".

Mag is not useless in terms of getting the job done. Same goes to a rock is not useless when hammering a nail into a board.

She is outperformed by many other, but not useless.

Thank you, at least some people take their time to think before posting

Shield polarize is useless. IT doesn't recover enough to make it worth using over her other abilities. Pull is useless when you realize most people would be able to destroy an enemy in the time it takes you to pull then kill it. Bullet Attractor is highly situational and prevents headshots. Crush is okay but doesn't stun the enemies you'd want stunned, has far too low range and is generally out performed by miasma and sound quake.

Mag as actually pretty good in defense missions, specially once your surrounded. But I'd like to see what they do to beef up her skill set.

Edit: noticed the badges are inside the picture instead of under them

Edited by AbyssSlayer

I'm reading these, and thinking people just pass the word "Useless" off as "Not good".Mag is not useless in terms of getting the job done. Same goes to a rock is not useless when hammering a nail into a board.She is outperformed by many other, but not useless.

She gets the job done because of the weapons you equip and the shield mod you equip. The equipment is carrying her, and what makes Mag "Mag" is not the guns she carries but the powers she can use and they are, sorry to say, useless. And so, Mag is useless.

Mag as actually pretty good in defense missions, specially once your surrounded. But I'd like to see what they do to beef up her skill set.

So is every other Frame. But put Mag into any defence mission where the enemies are level 30 or above and she quickly loses any ability to contribute. Polarize adds so little to the shield that by this stage the enemies quickly undo whatever shield you add to the pod.

Mag is useless? I dunno, the only thing I can't do is solo high-level non-infested defense.

I Mag because she's one of the fastest among the 150-shielders. This seemed to fit my playstyle, and she was easy enough to farm for, even given my inexperience back then: Anyo is a pushover. I rarely use powers, I'm more of a shooter. I'm nothing close to a "serious" gamer, and I see no problem with her. So long as the coming change does not change her base stats...

Edit: noticed the badges are inside the picture instead of under them

This. I've carried many missions single-handedly as Mag. Polarize and Crush are very useful. I love pulling allies to safety when they go down in bad spots. If I didn't use my abilities, my allies would have surely failed many times.

Sure, there are better options but that will always be the case in any game that has multiple options.

Edited by Yinkuji

Mag is useless? I dunno, the only thing I can't do is solo high-level non-infested defense.

I Mag because she's one of the fastest among the 150-shielders. This seemed to fit my playstyle, and she was easy enough to farm for, even given my inexperience back then: Anyo is a pushover. I rarely use powers, I'm more of a shooter. I'm nothing close to a "serious" gamer, and I see no problem with her. So long as the coming change does not change her base stats...

If you barely use powers then obviously must every frame is going to behave almost identically

So all of us who disagree with you don't think? Despite providing well thought out answers.

Who mentioned anything about people who disagree with me? Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I made this thread to give my opinion about the Devs calling Mag useless. It's not my fault people turned into an argument. Though I, my self have to take in some of the blame for even replying to the argument. If you would have paid more attention to what the post said, maybe you could have seen what I meant when I replied to it? Perhaps you should do more thinking yourself. 

The thing is, Mag IS useless.

EVERYTHING she can do, other 'Frames can do better.

Nuker? Frost, Saryn, Banshee, Ember.

CC? Banshee, Frost, Saryn, Vauban, Nyx, Rhino.

Healing? Trinity.

Reviving fallen teammates? Ash, Loki, Trinity, Frost, Vauban, Rhino.

Restoring pod shields? They don't need to be restored if you don't let them get hit.

Pull: Useless for the most part.

Shield Polarize: Decent, nothing special to have on ones bar. Its also single target....

Bullet Attractor: Good against single targets.

Crush: Good until enemy levels are over 80.

Most Warframe's do mags job better.

Edited by Ratrix

Mag was my first warframe, and I still own her, but didn't rank her up to 30. Instead, I played Rhino, then Excalibur, then Vauban, and most recently, Banshee. The latter 4 I love to death for different reasons. Mag was just...ok. I picked Mag, because it seemed like she had a lot of utility, but in practice, not nearly as much as some of the other frames.

BlatantFool's idea for turning Shield Polarize into an AoE sounds interesting.

How about an ability that roots enemies to the ground by magnetizing the floor? (I don't know how you would justify it affecting infested or not affecting Tenno, but I love the idea of an AoE root.

This seems an issue with different definitions of the word useless, and is largely due to lack of clarity for the reader and personal interpretations.

Is mag without use? I would disagree.

Is mag ineffective? I would agree.

Both of these are usages of the word useless but convey different meanings. She is both useless and not useless, depending on the definition you are using, at least to me.

Mag was my first warframe, and I still own her, but didn't rank her up to 30. Instead, I played Rhino, then Excalibur, then Vauban, and most recently, Banshee. The latter 4 I love to death for different reasons. Mag was just...ok. I picked Mag, because it seemed like she had a lot of utility, but in practice, not nearly as much as some of the other frames.

BlatantFool's idea for turning Shield Polarize into an AoE sounds interesting.

How about an ability that roots enemies to the ground by magnetizing the floor? (I don't know how you would justify it affecting infested or not affecting Tenno, but I love the idea of an AoE root.

oh shat that sounds cool too :o make polarize an aoe and make magnetize aoe of not move bullet magnet :D

Mag is a support warframe designed for bosses in general. Its like having a NYX with you in a normal mission with 3 other Tenno.. They will do the killing and the Nyx will be pretty useless cause all her skills goes around being alone and let the enemy kill each other.. She is not in general BAD, but she is, by all the warframes, the most useless one of them. I use her often and gotten pretty far with her. She is not useless by all means.. just.. less useable with the abilities and the set of Armor, health, shield, speed and energy. Other than bosses that is.

Mag is a support warframe designed for bosses in general. Its like having a NYX with you in a normal mission with 3 other Tenno.. They will do the killing and the Nyx will be pretty useless cause all her skills goes around being alone and let the enemy kill each other.. She is not in general BAD, but she is, by all the warframes, the most useless one of them. I use her often and gotten pretty far with her. She is not useless by all means.. just.. less useable with the abilities and the set of Armor, health, shield, speed and energy. Other than bosses that is.

I think that with some thought, they could adapt the abilities to have utility in a broader array of situations. Sonar is a good example. Sonar is great for bosses, but has utility in other situations too. I was using it a fair bit in one of the event defense missions a while ago, and I know it helped locate enemies and conserve ammo.

ppl call mag useless because when u compare with the other frame + ur skill + ur weapons to mag, her skills useless 

pull: why i need to pull while i can shoot the target and kill him ?

shield polarize: aint bad to heal  pod  but against enemies ... why i need it  my weapon can squish that shield !!

bullet bla bla : why i need it ? i can resist with rhino or ember or decoying with loki  or kill enemies faster

crush: they need to decrease range and increase damage  its nothing special  slow cast  and lame and ur teammate can kill steal while u cast crush :D

Except Nyx is actually helpful in high level defense thanks to Chaos.

Most of the replies I read here are from users who joined after Mag stopped being usefull. Let me tell you guys of a time back in January during Update 5.3 Blazing Embers.

Back during that time Mag was actually pretty decent at what she did, except Bullet Attractor. Don't get me started.... Anyway! Back then Pull did not knocked down enemies when pulled towards you! This sounds like a large negative right? Well let me point out a few things Pull allowed us to do back then. We use to be able to kill enemies by Pull-ing them down pits in the Corpus Ship. Made that line bold to attract the attention with people who can't focus. Still reading? GOOD! Those weeks before update 7, yes updates skipped a lot of .0.2 and whatever numbers back then, Mag and Loki were destroying enemies using the pit trick. Hell it even worked on Bosses. We just have to jump down the pit to grab the drops and get teleported back up anyway. As you probably already figured. This was kind of broken! So yes. We can't kill using pits anymore. Afterwords the abilities of Mag just became more and more "situational" and/or "useless."

Though seriously. Pull back then was more of an instant win button on capable players. There was several changes I've noticed on Mag during my time playing.

Pull suddenly knocked enemies down when pulling enemies to you. Major plus since the pit thing didn't work. Then they made Corpus' and Grineer's AI better and they used cover system more often making pull really useless against those behind cover. Woo....

Shield Polarize was solidly like they described. Gives shields to allies and remove them if used on enemies. Wasn't great but using it on allies back then worked well. Probably because the old mod system people were able to hit 1000-3000 shields. It was easier to notice if they were losing them. Yet it barely helped them. Was only good at speeding up the recharge time because of the stupidly high amounts... Now we can use it on Cryo Pods and target enemies shielded by an Osprey and make them EXPLODE! Hey I still got your attention. The skill still needs some value adjustments.

Bullet Attractor... Wasn't great back then and still not so great. Back then however we could kill teammates that say everything I'm doing is wrong and "3V3RY 1 MU5T U53 H3K!" Seriously someone told me this. I tagged him with Bullet Attractor and watched him die in Pluto. Guy got on my nerves. I'm happy we can't do this anymore. Some people just abused it.

Crush! Use to do solid 1000dmg to all enemies unaffected by armor. Then DE started balancing the Ult /tier 4 skills so people wouldn't be able to just destroy everything without trying. Which is fine. (Then we got Saryn's Ult ignoring this rule for a long period of time... Probably still is. >.> )

I don't remember this whole Mag was suppose to be a Boss killer until about a month or two afterwords when everyone in the forums said that's her role. Probably based that only on Bullet Attractor...

Anyway thanks for reading. I sure do like to type a lot when I feel ranty.

I just want people to picture how Mag was like before our current state of the game. With the improved AI and the no pit deaths and the Crush Nerf and the much more stable mod system and the... You get the picture already.

I seriously made a thread about Mag several days before Livestream #8. Here's a link.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/62457-lets-fix-mag-edition/

Edited by BBYiffo

The way I see it, Mag would really benefit from changes like this

• [*]Pull - Lift an enemy off the ground and pull them towards you - leaving them floating helpless for a few moments afterwards. Works like it always has on allies. Allies being pulled are invulnerable while under its effect.

[*]Shield Polarize - Now an AoE skill. Allies caught in the AoE have shield replenished, enemies have shields damaged and are stunned. If an enemy's shield is totally depleted by Shield Polarize it releases a weaker version of Shield Polarize that hits nearby targets again. This allows for the possibility of a chain reaction. Shield Polarize will do damage to Robotic foes. If cast at the floor Mag will use the ability on herself, resulting in it being slightly stronger then usual.

[*]Bullet Attractor - Bullet Attractor works similar to how it always has - however now Bullet Attractor completely negates the resistance stats of an effected foe. It can also now be casted on an ally to deflect bullets away from them. If cast at the floor Mag will use the ability on herself, resulting in it lasting slightly longer then usual.

Then Crush stays mostly as-is.

Edit: Because this thread has taken such a pleasant turn towards feedback for Mag I'm going to move it to the Warframe Feedback section where it has a better chance of being seen by the right people!

[*]Bullet Attractor - Bullet Attractor works similar to how it always has - however now Bullet Attractor completely negates the resistance stats of an effected foe. It can also now be casted on an ally to deflect bullets away from them. If cast at the floor Mag will use the ability on herself, resulting in it lasting slightly longer then usual.

Step 1: cover allied Tenno in Tesla turrets

Step 2: hit allied Tenno with Bullet Attractor

Step 3: Profit!

Seriously, nice idea. I like the thought of being able to protect yourself with it, then run in to drop Cush in a swarm of enemies.

Edited by MisguidedGT