Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

can all console connect on the same server?

(PSN)CharlieBrown1209

Question

16 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, lolmaster222 said:

Wasn't Microsoft trying to do something like that with Windows and Xbox ?

Microsoft play anywhere. Effectively your saves would be in the cloud and you can download the game on pc or xbox and play the same saves on both. That said, i would love for Warframe to be in play anywhere as that means that potentially Warframe could bypass certification if they did so.

Just now, (XB1)Twinna25 said:

Microsoft play anywhere. Effectively your saves would be in the cloud and you can download the game on pc or xbox and play the same saves on both. That said, i would love for Warframe to be in play anywhere as that means that potentially Warframe could bypass certification if they did so.

That would be sweet - shame I have PS4 :(

wait, does that mean I could play all my 360 games from my live from 7 years ago?! I had good stuff fam like watch_dogs, midnight club LA, CoD BO2, MW3, Just Cause 2, o man I would love this for my PC and expand my games library farther than steam.

This is something that I barely understand. In 2016, where the mobile data is spreading like there's no tomorow, how can games, besides mobile games, aren't cross-system. It's really hard to understand, specially when the transmited data through internet are the same. The only real difference might be the endianness which is fairly easy to fix.

It's hard to understand.

12 hours ago, Crawd127 said:

This is something that I barely understand. In 2016, where the mobile data is spreading like there's no tomorow, how can games, besides mobile games, aren't cross-system. It's really hard to understand, specially when the transmited data through internet are the same. The only real difference might be the endianness which is fairly easy to fix.

It's hard to understand.

The main reason why console and PC can't play cross platform has nothing to do with how data is handled by DE's servers. Rather it's the simple fact that both Microsoft and Sony require all software updates to pass a certification process before allowing it to be deployed over their servers. On the other hand, DE can deploy hot fixes rapidly through their own servers for PC players. This causes the PC patch versions to always differ from the console, which would of course cause compatibility issues.

As for why there aren't cross-platform play available between Xbox and PS4 players, that's mainly due to the company policies of their respective companies. It wasn't until earlier this March that Xbox announced that they are opening their Xbox One for cross-platform play, beginning with Rocket League. Sony, to their credit, has had cross-platform games since 2002's Final Fantasy 11.

5 hours ago, Ojimaru said:

The main reason why console and PC can't play cross platform has nothing to do with how data is handled by DE's servers. Rather it's the simple fact that both Microsoft and Sony require all software updates to pass a certification process before allowing it to be deployed over their servers. On the other hand, DE can deploy hot fixes rapidly through their own servers for PC players. This causes the PC patch versions to always differ from the console, which would of course cause compatibility issues.

As for why there aren't cross-platform play available between Xbox and PS4 players, that's mainly due to the company policies of their respective companies. It wasn't until earlier this March that Xbox announced that they are opening their Xbox One for cross-platform play, beginning with Rocket League. Sony, to their credit, has had cross-platform games since 2002's Final Fantasy 11.

I know all that, I just feel like this situation looks like the old PC / MAC cross-platform games... which was solved years ago. The main point was that in today's standards, it's just unreal to see that games, in general, aren't cross-platform, specially coop games. It just doesn't make any sense.

As for the hot fixes deployment, it would, of course, require a different way to distribute these. It could basically stay as it is and add the "Cross-platform patch server" which will follow the console releases. These would be the real game, while the current PC server would be the public test server, which is basically what it is... With all the bugs being released, fixed, then released again, it's a huge public test server to be able to release a more stable version for Xbox One and PS4 based on the PC hotfixes. There's a lot of games that works this way, I don't see how it's not doable.

Basically, the only real change for Warframe would be to have 2 PC servers, the current one as Public Test Server and the "real one" which will receive fully "certified" patches. (Note that I wrote certified in quotes, because it's surely not as big as in aircraft software certification which I work into...)

On 3 August 2016 at 0:06 AM, (PS4)CharlieBrown1209 said:

wondering if I get a pc ill be able to still have the wf that I was playing with on ps4? And my other question is would I be able to add my brother who plays ps4 and play in game with him if I'm on the PC?

The issue is that then updates for PC would be slowed then, or they would have to split apart the servers. Voice chat is also an issue as well as getting microsoft and sony to agree to cross platform play.