Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:07 AM, DeFragMe said:

what i know only China got the "excalibur umbra prime" , we only will get a "excalibur umbra" .. at least that what i fetched up.

Excalibur Umbra and Excalibur Umbra Prime are the same frame, we are never going to receive an "Umbra Prime", there will never be a "Prime version of an Umbra" because Umbras are already a Prime

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 1:05 PM, 134ShinyVaporeon said:

Umbras are gonna be moon primes. I've been saying that since it was announced.

That sounds like an amazing idea that DE could use to give moon some more depth, especially now that everyday, the moon is becoming more of just a nuerode farm every day.

Edited by Lyntrox

So, if you haven't watched the teaser for it, go watch it before reading further. And if you don't know what Umbra is, go research it before reading further.

So, at the end of the trailer, the queens are not truly feared by us coming after them, but at the same time wanting us to come to them. Maybe its because they need our help, or maybe its a trap, but nobody really knows the true answer.

What if the Umbras are with/attacking the Grineer?

On one side, Umbras are described as the "shadow" of a certain object. They could easily hate the Tenno as much as the Stalker, but do not wish to follow his ways. They could also hate the Tenno as much as the Grineer, but do not want to side with the Tenno due to an unknown reason. At the same time, they could be much more worse at attacking the Grineer, due to them being in the "shadows" all the time.

So, here's my first theory:

1. Umbra's are a prime prototype. Yes the regular frames could be described as that, but its more better to say that those are "defects" and the "prime" is the true frame. Obviously, it wouldn't make sense for the Grineer to keep a frame and use it against us, but since they can't acquire the prime frames, and the "defects" are usually executed, why not? They could easily find out a way to activate the Frame, and keep it controlled so that they can use it against us. 

What do you think? I'm pretty sure its obvious that they are going to be involved in U19 some way, and I really can't think of any other way they could be released (other than killing the queens). I can't think of another theory to put here.

I feel like it'd be more along the lines that the Grineer now have Umbra Excal and are taunting us with it and trying to blackmail it, we save him, he goes rogue (non violent rogue, just doesn't follow the lotus), we coerce him to our side, he swears allegiance to our operator NOT lotus. I feel like this update in terms of quest will prove our theories of warframes being their own sentient beings hence my layout of the story. The grineer part is simply because that's a very common thing so far, Alad V taunts us with zanuka, Regor's Tubemen, Sentient tomb 

1 hour ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

some updates to OP 

added in transference explanation in U19 info with other ideas discussed as well as the U19 sneak peek info for monday 

I don't see my transference explanation in the OP. It shouldn't be under U19 info if you did place it there, unless you're referencing something in datamined info.

As for the sneak peek on monday, i'm guessing that is not related to U19 and Umbra. It might be a separate update with Kavats.

I made this arguement before, so Ill sum it up here:

I personally see the Prime warframes' relationship with the standard warframes as being like that of a Bentley, compared to a Honda Accord. They are the same thing, but the Primes are made with higher quality and specs, while the normal warframes are cheaper, mass produced frames for the war against the Sentients. 

Now, that is there to explain my theory on the relation to Prime warframes and normal warframes.

For the Umbras', Im thinking that they may be an attempt to convert a normal warframe to a Prime warframe, but didnt quite work.

My speculation is that an Umbra is a warframe with its own will. In the trailer, the 2 that i presume to be the twin queens sound like a young child and an old lady, which dont fit the "Twin" concept. However, we know that the twin queens have been around for a long time, much longer than the normal grineer lifespan. It would make more sence of the two in the trailer were the operator conversing to her warframe. At the end of second dream, we see our warframe acting on its own, pulling the War out of its body even though we were not in control of it, hinting at the possibility of the frames having their own will. Remember when DE said that "Excalibur Umbra wont just be a reskinned version of Excalibur." If Umbras were frames that can act without their operators, then the Frames would be unable to use their Tenno abilities, instead having a different set of abilities. Since the frames could be recolored, I doubt the fact that Excal Umbra Prime being dark compared to light is significant in the story (WFchina's version of Umbra is most likely unrelated to the quest as it was only offered as a founders item.)