Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do people get upset about spoilers? A question from someone who has never been bothered by them.

(PSN)Lacifarus1188

I would like a little insight into the mind of people who are bothered when information gets revealed before they experience it themselves. I can honestly say that I don't think a game or movie has ever garnered an emotional response of any type from me unless it was terrible and I was upset that I wasted money. A book I can get into a little more but even the whole "Dumbledore dies" thing a long time ago didn't bother me when people were posting and yelling it everywhere. I was like,"Oh, that sucks." and just kept reading.

What is it that you look forward to in these situations? Do you get an actual thrill, like an adrenaline rush, from moments when you experience them if no one said anything before? Why do some individuals get incredibly upset over it?

I think a few things I would get upset about if they were spoiled were:

1. Oskar Blues Old Chub scotch ale going bad

2. The entire stock of Pinata Protest going bad at my favorite draught house

3. The handmade feta in my fridge that I hope my wife doesn't sabotage since she hates feta

Edited by (PS4)Lacifarus1188

I agree with Crimson and A Frikn Grizzly. If its labelled with a spoiler then its perfectly fine. If its something I'm following for example Game of Thrones Season 6, which I'm just starting to watch, I wouldn't even look at the contents. 

It takes out the fun of the experience and ruins it if I heard or read a spoiler. For gaming with alternate endings - not so much. But for movies, tv series or book - Yes. 

57 minutes ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

What crimson said. Plus it dulls the story when you get to that part.

Oh by the way, anybody seen Suicide Squad? Grizz, what do you think? Spoiler alert!!!

Batman kissed Harley Quinn.

For some, the ending is the most important part and will only start reading or watching to get there.

Personally, people are jerks and I stopped caring about spoilers because too many got satisfaction out of spoiling the ending. I used to cringe my way through a book when I knew what was going to happen. Made me mad, so I stopped giving a duck.

And its pretty rude to go out of your way to spoil something.  That kind of behavior gets you kicked by me. Clan, friends list or irl. (I have steel toe boots just for irl spoilers)

It depends on the spoiler tbh. If you told me something minor like idk, some quest in a game or things that happen very early in a movie/book/game I probably wouldn't care as much.

But if it's something major, like the ending of a book, of a movie or a game, you play/read/watch differently. If I told you that near the end of x game y died because of z, you'll be waiting for that moment because you know it'll be there.

If someone spoiled Shutter Island for me, I'd read/watch the whole thing differently.

People don't want to know things beforehand, they want to experience for themselves.

21 hours ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

Oh by the way, anybody seen Suicide Squad? Grizz, what do you think? Spoiler alert!!!

Reveal hidden contents

Batman kissed Harley Quinn.

Spoiler

I thought it was good but not great. It suffers the same fatal flaw as all post-Nolan DC films; mediocre story but fantastic characters. Deadshot and Harley carried the movie, the others were good too, just not as good as them. The antagonists I thought were goofy and not intimidating at all. Overall it was worth seeing, I just think it could have been a lot better. On the bright side, it had the only performance by Jai Courtney I didn't absolutely hate, so that's a plus! 

5 minutes ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:
  Hide contents

I thought it was good but not great. It suffers the same fatal flaw as all post-Nolan DC films; mediocre story but fantastic characters. Deadshot and Harley carried the movie, the others were good too, just not as good as them. The antagonists I thought were goofy and not intimidating at all. Overall it was worth seeing, I just think it could have been a lot better. On the bright side, it had the only performance by Jai Courtney I didn't absolutely hate, so that's a plus! 

I totally agree. I saw it twice because it was a fun movie to watch never mind the story. 

I kinda knew who the antagonist was because its very obvious. I loved Batman's appearance. I said he kissed Harley because being the best detective, he wouldn't fall for the oldest trick in the book. And he liked it. I hope they do good with Wonder Woman and the Justice League?

Because the end of a story is usually the main draw for many viewers. As they approach the ending, they wonder and theorize as to what it may be. If it's a good story, they will be surprised, but if someone were to spoil it the surprise will be ruined, and the journey for the viewer up to this point will have been for nothing.

Nobody likes to feel like they've wasted their time. 

Edited by Plasmaface

There are some spoilers that will ruin the moment or surprise.  There are people who are more emotional, and like the Moment of discovery

Let me ask you this... would you like to get a SUPRISE gift of a Million dollars cash.  or be told you are getting a gift of a million dollars... and then being lied to.  If you don't have an emotional response to either of those, you are not normal, or have trained yourself to not be emotional and should try playing poker more.

But there are other times where you are not emotionally invested and don't mind the surprise.  I was never a harry potter fan, and Dumbledore dying wasn't that big of a deal for me.  But I am a big star wars fan, and I was in tears the whole time during Ep 7 after Han Solo was killed.... and likely would have killed the person who spoiled it for me.

Closer to our fandom, the reveal on 2nd Dream quest, that the Warframe had an operator, and it was a Child, was incredibly emotional for me.  The fact  I identified the child as MY character in the game before I even saw my face was an incredible experience that I would have never enjoyed if it was spoiled

and it is a TRAGEDY if cheese ever spoils in my refrigerator

21 hours ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

I totally agree. I saw it twice because it was a fun movie to watch never mind the story. 

Hide contents

I kinda knew who the antagonist was because its very obvious. I loved Batman's appearance. I said he kissed Harley because being the best detective, he wouldn't fall for the oldest trick in the book. And he liked it. I hope they do good with Wonder Woman and the Justice League?

WW and JL look good, but so did BvS and Suicide Squad at the very least turned out okay. So only time will tell.