Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please I ask of you data miners to not spoil things anymore

Cenat

3 hours ago, Mr_bunny said:

I have never had anything spoiled by it being datamined. It isn't like I try to avoid it it's just that it never is around. So stop looking for it and there won't be problems for you.

How hard is it for people to understand I wasn't bloody looking for spoilers?

1 hour ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Actually, no. Every couple of days, some bright eyed enthusiastic kid who just wants to be loved comes bursting into the Umbra discussion thread, yelling at the top of their lungs about datamined spoilers and isn't it just so cool you guys and then they have to get slapped by the mods.

the umbra situation is 1000% de's fault. they spoilered it when they released to china. you can't just show something like that to people and say it will come in time and refuse to talk about it any further for 6 months, people will look out for themselves at  that point. besides datamined stuff is stuff that the devs put into the client that isn't being used. if you don't want people to see it don't put it in the client genius.

If you don't want to know anything about the upcoming update stop reading topics that have ties to it.

Do you really think that a thread that is 100's of ages long about YET ANOTHER TYPE OF XCAL is not going to have spoiled content in it or theories about it. I mean really DE has been talking about the UMBRA idea for near a year now. You know its coming you know its going to be a major thing but yet you fail to see the tie in leading to it and just mindlessly keep reading a thread about it. 

People only have themselves to blame when it comes to being upset about leaked info. Don't come tot he forum during update time if you truly don't want to know hat is going on.

3 hours ago, SurrealEdge said:

If you don't look for it, how would it bother you? Datamined info can't be posted on the forums, so you'll need to go out of your way to find them. If it's in game chat, you're better off ignoring them.

And as Silva mentioned, DE has been adding in dummy data for quite a long time now. Primed Streamline, for example, was mentioned in the files, but has never been made into a primed mod.

As 1 said once in a dev stream, "Everything in the game is subjected to be primed sooner or later".

1 minute ago, Cenat said:

Well how'd you find them then? Because the only way to happen upon data mined info is to look for it. Because it sure as hell isn't on the forums. 

Just now, Mr_bunny said:

Well how'd you find them then? Because the only way to happen upon data mined info is to look for it. Because it sure as hell isn't on the forums. 

I hope you do understand when things are posted I can see them and then I hit report AND THEN the mods can come. Who knows how much datamined info can be around that was removed but I jist so happened to stumble upon some moron's thread that has datamined info I can nearly confirm is related to TWW. The post is removed now but I can't possibly remove it from my mind can I?

4 minutes ago, Cenat said:

How bloody hard is it to stop reading a 100 page post about something that has no time frame to it? I mean how the heck do people have 100's of pages of stuff to say about something not even in the game yet?

Edited by (XB1)BULLS 0N PAR4DE

5 minutes ago, bl4ckhunter said:

the umbra situation is 1000% de's fault. they spoilered it when they released to china. you can't just show something like that to people and say it will come in time and refuse to talk about it any further for 6 months, people will look out for themselves at  that point. besides datamined stuff is stuff that the devs put into the client that isn't being used. if you don't want people to see it don't put it in the client genius.

"It is 1000% the parents' fault that those kids ate themselves into a diabetic coma. They bought cookies, told the kids not to eat them because they were for the party later in the week, and locked them in the cupboard. You can't just do that. The kids are going to go to the shed, break out power tools to cut open the cupboard, and eat their bodyweight in cookies, and that is completely rational and intelligent behaviour on the part of those children."

Seriously mate. It is not possible to datamine by accident, and we expect people playing the game to be adults, and to have the self control of adults.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

Just now, (XB1)BULLS 0N PAR4DE said:

how bloody hard is it to stop reading a 100 page post about something that has no timeframe to it. I mean how the heck do people have 100's of pages of stuff to say about something not even in the game yet?

I do not understand what you are talking about

2 minutes ago, catastrophy said:

Censorship is a bad thing. Just stay away from discussions if you don't want to get spoiled. You decide what you read.

Does "Trying to farm Hate and Despair" seem to contain spoilers? Hell it was a two pager and SOMEONE had to spoil TSD even though it had NOTHING to do with TSD. 

3 minutes ago, Mr_bunny said:

Dude, you are aware that that is exactly what happened, and still happens, right? That enthusiastic idiots think that they are being clever by posting datamined information on the forums, and that sometimes it must be like playing whack-a-mole for the mods to stamp it out?

2 hours ago, Diana.K said:

This, getting actual player feedback from things before they go live can aid greatly when it comes to making balancing decisions or design choices, with the cost being the overhead to run the test server of course. 

EVE online in particular has had pretty good success leveraging their test server for instance, be it for stress testing, testing new features or just a dev screwing around with the community. Definitely something worth considering imo.

Yeah, like remember when we get to know what passives are going to be and gave our feedback before it was released? And then DE changed bad passives to ok\good passives?

6 minutes ago, Cenat said:

I hope you do understand when things are posted I can see them and then I hit report AND THEN the mods can come. Who knows how much datamined info can be around that was removed but I jist so happened to stumble upon some moron's thread that has datamined info I can nearly confirm is related to TWW. The post is removed now but I can't possibly remove it from my mind can I?

So you see a post with datamined info. I assume it's title suggests something along the lines of "STATS FOR GALATINE" or "TWW QUEST". I doubt it's title is "look at my kubrow it's so cute". It isn't hard to determine which posts can contain spoilers. And even if the title is something ridiculous it takes three words of the text to see if it is a spoiler. 

Edited by Mr_bunny

3 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Seriously mate. It is not possible to datamine by accident, and we expect playing the game to be adults, and to have the self control of adults.

Datamined stuff it's unnecessary clutter in the client, datamining is literally exploring unused data, and it doesn't get in the client by itself, it's there becouse de puts it there, if you leave a living landmine in your living room then complain that your house blown up you're an idiot period.

Edited by bl4ckhunter

1 minute ago, Cenat said:

Does "Trying to farm Hate and Despair" seem to contain spoilers? Hell it was a two pager and SOMEONE had to spoil TSD even though it had NOTHING to do with TSD. 

That's unfortunate, but shouldn't come unexpectedly on a forum where people TALK ABOUT THE GAME.

6 minutes ago, bl4ckhunter said:

Datamined stuff it's unnecessary clutter in the client, datamining is literally exploring unused data that doesn't get in the client by itself, de puts it there, if you leave a living landmine in your living room then complain that your house blown up you're an idiot period.

It's not a landmine in your living room. It's a landmine in an area clearly marked as containing landmines. 

Are you seriously attempting to defend deliberately rooting around in the game files? Are you insisting that doing so is not going hunting for spoilers? Will you also say that it is not hacking if someone edits the game data to give themselves better item drops?  

"Well, because it is technically possible to launch a DDoS attack on the game during a PvP clan struggle, it is therefore a legitimate tactic, and it is DE's fault for allowing us to take advantage of the fact that the game is Internet-based."

Edited by BornWithTeeth

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Are you seriously attempting to defend deliberately rooting around in the game files? Are you insisting that doing so is not going hunting for spoilers? Will you also say that it is not hacking if someone edits the game data to give themselves better item drops?  

No i'm saying that de clearly shares part of the blame by putting unnecessary stuff in the client in the first place and that the whole umbra situation was handled terribly. you can't keep things 3/4 under wraps and show 1/4 everywhere for the world to see, that's just creates strife, people wouldn't be datamining everything looking for umbra excal if they didn't show it or if they were clear about it's release at least in terms of update/timeframe, add in the occasional idiot that can't help post spoilers where they don't belong and this is the result.

Just now, bl4ckhunter said:

No i'm saying that de clearly shares part of the blame by putting unnecessary stuff in the client in the first place and that the whole umbra situation was handled terribly. you can't keep things 3/4 under wraps and show 1/4 everywhere for the world to see, that's just creates strife, people wouldn't be datamining everything looking for umbra excal if they didn't show it or if they were clear about it's release at least in terms of update/timeframe, add in the occasional idiot that can't help post spoilers where they don't belong and this is the result.

Well, at least we agree that idiots coming running to post spoilers where they don't belong is a problem. 

14 minutes ago, Mr_bunny said:

So you see a post with datamined info. I assume it's title suggests something along the lines of "STATS FOR GALATINE" or "TWW QUEST". I doubt it's title is "look at my kubrow it's so cute". It isn't hard to determine which posts can contain spoilers. And even if the title is something ridiculous it takes three words of the text to see if it is a spoiler. 

Are you kidding me?

Title: "Trying To Farm Hate And Despair"

^Spoilers for The Second Dream

Title: "Umbra Discussion"

^Spoilers for TWW, written in bold text over 3 lines

And might I add there was no spoiler tag or spoiler box

Edited by Cenat

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Well, at least we agree that idiots coming running to post spoilers where they don't belong is a problem. 

Well yes, but idiots are a problem that is NOT going away so they might as well do their best to keep their secret stuff secret if they really want to instead of moaning about how they wanted to but big bad dataminers spoiled it and people should not read it.

Why it's that stuff even in the public client is what i don't know, it's not like baro where it has to be there since they can't patch it on the moment, the spoilered stuff could've easily sit in a folder on a dev's desktop until release.

1 minute ago, bl4ckhunter said:

Well yes, but idiots are a problem that is NOT going away so they might as well do their best to keep their secret stuff secret if they really want to instead of moaning about how they wanted to but big bad dataminers spoiled it and people should not read it.

Why it's that stuff even in the public client is what i don't know, it's not like baro where it has to be there since they can't patch it on the moment, the spoilered stuff could've easily sit in a folder on a dev's desktop until release.

Perhaps it makes loading the patches faster if they preload some stuff?

The thing about that is that if DE announced that from now on, major Quest patches will take ages to download because it all has to be downloaded in one go, and that it has to be this way because dataminers just won't stop digging through the client.....players would hurl abuse at the Devs, not the dataminers, and you know that this is the truth. DE could come right out and say "In order to prevent datamining, major updates are going to take longer to download" and people would have screaming hissyfits and generally behave like small children in a supermarket. Inevitably, folks would work themselves around to insisting that datamining for spoilers is their right, and would start making absolutely ludicrous demands of DE.

Because always, always, the biggest problem with this game is the lack of perspective in the community.