Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are You Even Trying? A Artifact Defense Alert Event.

UNO168

Can you please explain to us the philosophy behind setting this event? who is the target audience? and what are you trying to make us feel about this event or perhaps...the overall experience for warframe?

First of all, the mission difficulty is hard for general public even for a fully geared player. In the last few waves we have to fight  lv.60-70 mobs in a planet that has no match for its difficulty level.

And I would dare to say the rate of mission failure is so high that I don't even want to try those missions again once I got my stuff.

Is that what you're trying to make? missions with higher difficulty for experience player only? then why would you put those missions in newbie planets like saturn and mars with NO matching difficulty? not to say our existing population is low enough.

What about new player? How do they Feel about this? do they feel welcomed for this event?

They won't make it through without someone with high-end gear to help them, but in this kind of missions everyone counts and sadly that makes them unwelcome thus downgrading their experience for this game. 

To sum it up the whole thing is a tragedy, the target audience should be general public not minority, the difficulty should be easily accessible/adjusted according to our gear. we're supposed to enjoy this together not suffer.

Second issue to address is net code in large scale battle, in the defense mission when fighting starts my team mates will begin to "teleport" around the map and it is pretty obvious it has something to do with the AMOUNT of mobs we're fighting because it happens less in other kind of mission. Things go smooth in your lab doesn't mean it is going to be the same in general setting especially when you leave the game for players to HOST.

I'm not too fond of the events because the artifacts are p. bad, but I'm pretty sure the difficulty of the events are directed towards the core players with decent weapons and mods and things. I actually appreciate the difficulty. Plenty of people complaining about the easiness of the game and then with an actual difficult event occurring, you get people complaining it's too hard. What a mess. Tier 3 Voids are still harder.

Alerts are always separated from the planets they're on btw.

I quite enjoyed it to be perfectly honest. A f***-ton of mods with each alert, a ton of XP, and three new artifacts - not to mention acquired through defense missions with a target rather than just "let's see how high we can go".

calm they rage, crazy ranty person.

you are asking questions as if they were bullets.

its defence, when has defence ever been about many of those things? i joined a clan specifically for this event, and i might stay with them too.

cause the second they announced it, i thought about what defence means in this game and thought "im not going thru that hell with pugs and what not".

you are approaching a number of issues as if they are all new and terrible when really its the same its always been. go with people you know and be smart about it.

not that hard guy, its a 4 man game for a reason. get you some friends to roll with.

Edited by MetalGerbil

Yes, perhaps those who were able to complete these missions wer medium to high lvl players and not those who just started out. If that is fair or not? Well... I might be biased but I'd say yes. Putting time into the game should be rewarding. If you were/are a new player you had 3 days to get the artifacts. You should be able to lvl at least 1 frame to a decent lvl within that timeframe. Also there were a multitude of people doing these missions. There are almost always clan-adds in the chat - join a clan and play with them! And the missions were long enough to start, fail and start again.
Take a Frost with you, stay in the bubble, add a trinity and let her heal your butt.

Face the hard choices when playing the map - you might not be able to get all the scattered mods and be a hero running around. Use cover, aim for the heads aso.

And as already mentioned - those artifacts will probably show up later on any way.

I do agree with the lag issue though, some of the games were impossible even for me (lvl 30 Frost Prime with maxed Ogris and good mods) you couldn't tell where enemies or allies were and you just died as the air around you suddenly felt like taking chunks out of you...right before a rocket exploded in your face and istakilled you.

(I had network issues that were on my side too, try checking your connection - analyze network)

This event was badly designed mainly because it placed emphasis on the unpolished high-wave defense. As it is, high-wave defense is basically a lot of high level enemies with a lot of health, armour, damage, and can kill the pod in 2 seconds if you forget. Now instead of only having bored people play this, you get everyone to try this out and show the entire community how bad it is.

To sum it up the whole thing is a tragedy, the target audience should be general public not minority, the difficulty should be easily accessible/adjusted according to our gear. we're supposed to enjoy this together not suffer.

They are testing what kind of events we like. You should know that since they mentioned this in a few livestreams....

Edited by Venarge

I won two defense missions with a bunch of randoms in regular matchmaking.  One versus Corpus, and another versus infested.  Both times with minimal communication (there were directions calmly types at times) we made it al the way through.  I personally think that this event allowed the "hardcore Players" to act as coaches and leaders to the "casual" guys and their experience complimented the assistance of the casuals.  

I really enjoy this kind of "hot Release" event, it required teamwork, and communication, and yes some hardcore gear, but anyone with a level 30 frame could compete.  Teamwork Tenno, always use teamwork.

@Hezekiah the problem is most don't listen, its the problem with F2P games.   I did the Infested one earlier and was left alone as a Excalibur to defend, a Frost and Trinity went off spawn camping, needless to say that failed as they wouldn't listen.

I suspect players are using it to farm mods and not trying complete it, for these alerts they need to make it that if failed you gain Nothing from pickups Mods etc

People are still forgetting WarFrame is in BETA.

This event was to test netcode as well as testing defense maps.  As a benefit to us we get these three new mods (yes, they are mods as Steve mentioned in Livestream) early and can start thinking about uses for them.

How many people tried Infested Impedance on the last one?  Infested Impedance/Infested Impedance/Energy Syphon/Energy Syphon...20% slowed and still have more than enough energy.

Overall this event has served it's purpose in spades by the number of threads on the Grineer Galleon defense map and the Hot Fix applied shortly there after.

Netcode still needs a lot of work though, since one player with a bad connection can make the entire squad fail by causing huge lag issues for the entire group instead of just themselves.

This Event has also introduced a lot of players to defense missions which quite honestly most casual players avoid or only go to Wave 5 and bail just to get passed it on the system map.

People are still forgetting WarFrame is in BETA.

This event was to test netcode as well as testing defense maps.  As a benefit to us we get these three new mods (yes, they are mods as Steve mentioned in Livestream) early and can start thinking about uses for them.

How many people tried Infested Impedance on the last one?  Infested Impedance/Infested Impedance/Energy Syphon/Energy Syphon...20% slowed and still have more than enough energy.

Overall this event has served it's purpose in spades by the number of threads on the Grineer Galleon defense map and the Hot Fix applied shortly there after.

Netcode still needs a lot of work though, since one player with a bad connection can make the entire squad fail by causing huge lag issues for the entire group instead of just themselves.

This Event has also introduced a lot of players to defense missions which quite honestly most casual players avoid or only go to Wave 5 and bail just to get passed it on the system map.

But, its easier to just rant about something instead of thinking at least a bit ^^

My feedback would be that the location of the missions was... somewhat poor.  I did four random runs, two successes and two failures.  In three of them there were Rank 1 players who obviously hadn't found Redirection or Vitality yet for their frames, probably pretty low level too.  

Setting the missions in low-level areas, but with high level late waves, is basically creating a trap for newer players and for anyone who joins them, if they can't really contribute meaningfully to success. 

It would be better if the enemies in the wave levels for THESE didn't go up by as much, and/or that the missions were located in tougher places.  So if it's supposed to be tough, set the mission on a tough planet and MAKE IT TOUGH.  If it's going to be put on an easy planet then it should be relatively easy. 

tldr version: Put tough missions meant for experienced players on tough planets.  Thanks. 

Edited by Kempner

OP is another crying baby.

Firstly, they just want to present to people their new artifacts and their new alert mission type, that's it

Secondly, the reason they chose those planets is because most people have unlocked them. So there will more people having more chances to get new artifacts.

Thirdly, the missions aren't really hard if you have the right warframes and concentration. This game, this specific kind of mission is considerably teamwork-required. If you haven't joined a clan and still do these missions through random matchmaking, it's not a bright move.

I, myself, passed all 3 missions with friends from my clan. I used only a lv25 Trinity, No-mod Lv30 Latron, lv19 Dual Bronco and a pair of Dual Ether that has a same DPS as the Latron but with 100% stun. My stratergy is to run around invisibly with my Shade (lv6 Shade), marking enemies on demand, healing on demand and stall the melee forces. That's all.

Edited by The_Markie

As always design is no easy thing.

There is no dynamic scaling system for player+enemy - Guild Wars 2-esque.

Thats why you will have events for players with low or high level equipment.

There is no difficulty settings other then enemy level scaling with health/damage they do, classic, easy to make and boring difficulty scaling.

That's why some things are harder then others.

Player's perspective.

The game has been quite easy all the time and now there is something harder i cant do solo with 1 hand on auto-run. Better come to forum and complain rather then to improve yourself and try to beat it again. Where are the times when challenge's only reward was the feeling that you are good and you beat it? (Not talking about Warframe being hard, because its really not, but about players needing more and more rewards to keep them going, if its hard or reward is not big enough they will go do easy stuff or leave... cubs these days.)

DE made a weekend event for higher level-ish players.

I had fun, it wasnt easy, it had a goal, reward was not perfect or all that usefull. But i beat few of them, i felt great, i lost few of them, i was stressed (napalm was kinda bs, but its fixed now). But it was fun and i had a great weekend. (Thanks DE)

What do you want?

Easy mode? Yes DE can make new player friendly event with lvl 1-4 mercury enemies, but i cannot imagine many people will have fun with it. Demographic is always mixed. You will have people that are casual gamers, hardcore farmers, people seeking challenge, clans that want to be the best, spreadsheet guys who want to know whats most efficient, older players from MMO's that we're running dungeon for months until they got good enough to beat next boss, etc... Obviously some people will like it, some not. Yet calling out DE about what demographic is it aimed at, when you dont know what kind of people are playing the game, even in what numbers, at which spot in the progression curve they are... that's quite uninformed callout you got there. As for this, we will most probably never know none of those things, that data is not available to us - public, so dont act you know.

tl'dr

Not all content is for everyone. You shoud not feel entitled so.

Secondly, the reason they chose those planets is because most people have unlocked them. So there will more people having more chances to get new artifacts.

Thirdly, the missions aren't really hard if you have the right warframes and concentration. This game, this specific kind of mission is considerably teamwork-required. If you haven't joined a clan and still do these missions through random matchmaking, it's not a bright move.

If you have the right Warframes, chances are you have at least >70% of the map unlocked if not more. You kind of miss the point. IF you have the setup, frames, mods and weapons to deal with this kind of mission, you probably have access to the highest level systems, while random low levels stumbling on on this mission will be screwed somewhere after wave 15, walking away with some mods and a bad impression (if they dont get carried by some random high level ofc).

The system luckily enough is probably subject to change and scaling.

tl;dr Missions are fine, the placement not so much.

I won two defense missions with a bunch of randoms in regular matchmaking.  One versus Corpus, and another versus infested.  Both times with minimal communication (there were directions calmly types at times) we made it al the way through.  I personally think that this event allowed the "hardcore Players" to act as coaches and leaders to the "casual" guys and their experience complimented the assistance of the casuals.  

I really enjoy this kind of "hot Release" event, it required teamwork, and communication, and yes some hardcore gear, but anyone with a level 30 frame could compete.  Teamwork Tenno, always use teamwork.

Where do you find people like that? When I try to guide people on public games, I get told that I'm a ''Noob $&*#^%''.

I'm not too fond of the events because the artifacts are p. bad, but I'm pretty sure the difficulty of the events are directed towards the core players with decent weapons and mods and things. I actually appreciate the difficulty. Plenty of people complaining about the easiness of the game and then with an actual difficult event occurring, you get people complaining it's too hard. What a mess. Tier 3 Voids are still harder.

Alerts are always separated from the planets they're on btw.

T3 Voids are fun, even when you are running a level 23 frame, a 14 Primary and a 15 Melee, the only 30 I had was my Secondary. Me and 2 friends still beat the mission with only 1 Revive used each. I loved this defense Aletrt, the problem was our Trinity got disconnected wave 9 and whelp, Frost+Banshee was not enough to finish it out. The Banshee was still not re-caught up from her last Polarize.

It sounds ilke the OP is complaining because of pugs and/or poor equipment.

Deal with it. Your whining won't solve anything, it just makes you look bad.

Not everything should be easy. I'm happy that we got something challenging (finally), and I know the majority of experienced players are as well.

to OP, kinda agree that DE should have stated that this event is not newbies friendly much,

i appreciate the difficulty though, but understand that it is not for newbies,

i always go before every mission to council sometimes region chat and trying to get the newbies on board ,so they have new shiny artifact

its way more rewarding to help those newbies than the artifact, just to see them happy they got it

and yea there always will be those "look at me, look at me ,i'm the best ,10 year old mentality" players like bunch of them in this thread, nothing we can do about

the funny part is ,they'r just hardcore around forums, if you go Pluto you can see 5 squads or 0 squads there and no way they will stay to at least wave 20 on defence there

again to DE if they read, thanks for this event, its fun, just a little something to add if you dare ... put one more kinda like "bonus wave" if the squad completes the regular waves and fill the "bonus wave" on

infested with only crawlers

on grineers only with the "devil balls" (rollers)

on corpus only with ospreys

The event was not difficult, yes i have really good gear but i did't even get hit once we just got 2 frosts to defend the pod and then anyone who entered the bubble the rest 2 frames just ulted and it went smooth and easy. Did all 3 missions never failed one. My biggest gripe with this event is that the artifacts are pretty useless the way they are now.

I won all 3 artifacts. today in regular PUGs, with only one loss due to 2 ppl dropping out of the game on wave 10. I didnt find it hard at all and im only ever so slightly uber. was using a lv 15 dread non potato and 19 despair potato, 30 nyx.

Having said that, (and im not making this up) in my last go, the host dropped in wave 20 with literally 1 min to go....when the game finished migrating, the artifact was on 21% by the time it would recognize my spamming 3...(nyx chaos), which luckily worked.