Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zombies: The most unrealistic thing about..... Zombies

TheJagji

46 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Actually, are we discussing a zombie outbreak in our universe, or one where zombie movies never happened?

If we had one in our universe, we would never have an issue on such a large scale -  So many people know about aiming for the head already.

While you are correct in this, I still think there would be a small window of shock and disbelief.

I mean really, other than zombie enthusiasts like myself, who thinks it's a zombie right-away?

5 minutes ago, hammerheathen said:

While napalm would work over time. A big concern is collateral damage. Many of our explosives that don't cause (comparitively) much collateral damage will leave fairly large (enough to be dangerous) portions of the body intact.

That's why you go with quantity.

15 minutes ago, hammerheathen said:

While you are correct in this, I still think there would be a small window of shock and disbelief.

I mean really, other than zombie enthusiasts like myself, who thinks it's a zombie right-away?

Well of course there would, all I'm saying is that in this universe, we wouldn't have a Walking Dead scenrio because we have so many people who not only know about aiming for the head, but have actual "in case of zombie" action plans.

Trust me, I've dated a couple.

1 hour ago, tnccs215 said:

this discussions make no sense. You all are arguing about things that dont exist. How can you argue when data is null? For all you know, shooting off the head might not even work.

You should the game theorist. It would take about 3 hours for both coasts in the U.S. to get screwed over quick.

12 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

You should the game theorist. It would take about 3 hours for both coasts in the U.S. to get screwed over quick.

How can someone prepare for something they dont know?

That's the thing. To have information on something, it needs to exist. Its not that a zombie apocalipse is impossible (though it is), it's that, until it starts happening, we don't know how a zombie works.

And how could they even move. It's rotten flesh. ATP receptors and adenine whatevers are quite literally pulp. Muscles couldn't contract.

Just now, tnccs215 said:

That's the thing. To have information on something, it needs to exist. Its not that a zombie apocalipse is impossible (though it is), it's that, until it starts happening, we don't know how a zombie works.

And how could they even move. It's rotten flesh. ATP receptors and adenine whatevers are quite literally pulp. Muscles couldn't contract.

we can use lava

2 hours ago, tnccs215 said:

this discussions make no sense. You all are arguing about things that dont exist. How can you argue when data is null? For all you know, shooting off the head might not even work.

This is all based off decades of speculative science and established lore.  In every Zombie movie, book, fan fic, game, you aim for the head for the kill.

The issue we're running into here, is we don't have a solid platform to go from - Which Zombie lore are we using? 

55 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

5 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

This is all based off decades of speculative science and established lore.  In every Zombie movie, book, fan fic, game, you aim for the head for the kill.

The issue we're running into here, is we don't have a solid platform to go from - Which Zombie lore are we using? 

Not only what she said. But.

There are already working models that have put in the information on how the pathogen itself would spread. Even to take out the living dead from the equation, we are still working with something with a guaranteed 100% mortality rate. With an infection rate similar to blood-born viruses.

To add to what you are clearly focusing on. We have Jakob Disease already so we mutate it because some emo teen grew up to become a gene splicer or something. Let's throw decomposition out the window and what do we have? 28 days later type zombies. They might die off of starvation, but we will go with some basic levels of self-preservation wouldn't allow that to happen.

4 hours ago, Noamuth said:

Well of course there would, all I'm saying is that in this universe, we wouldn't have a Walking Dead scenrio because we have so many people who not only know about aiming for the head, but have actual "in case of zombie" action plans.

I'm also one of those people, but because of my declining health, the feasibility of much of it fails.

Fun to think about though. An apocalyptic scenario would never happen, but a pervasive and problematic event is actually fairly likely. Worst case scenario it would become a lingering problem

1 hour ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

Not only what she said. But.

There are already working models that have put in the information on how the pathogen itself would spread. Even to take out the living dead from the equation, we are still working with something with a guaranteed 100% mortality rate. With an infection rate similar to blood-born viruses.

To add to what you are clearly focusing on. We have Jakob Disease already so we mutate it because some emo teen grew up to become a gene splicer or something. Let's throw decomposition out the window and what do we have? 28 days later type zombies. They might die off of starvation, but we will go with some basic levels of self-preservation wouldn't allow that to happen.

Furthermore depending on the rate of decay. (hence why I kept asking for data) which is heavily affected by local conditions muscles remain usable for a few days, longer depending again on conditions.

A living type zombie scenario is also completely feasible if there were a mutation of the rabies virus. Depending on progression they would be either like 28days later zombies, or they would be akin to walker's. They would die on their own eventually, but not necessarily before doing damage and/or spreading the infection.

Though a "living" zombie equivalent is actually easier to deal with because normal methods of death are completely viable.

As I was talking about earlier, and also what OP was getting at was the potential lethality of just the mass of rotting flesh. That doesn't need a zombie scenario to occur, just a lot of death and break down in civil services. Natural catastrophes can have this occur and it's one of the reasons corpse disposal is so important.

1 hour ago, Noamuth said:

I vote we don't have the ridiculous "return of the living dead" zombies. We're just screwed if that happens. They are smart, and require complete obliteration to be destroyed, burning them releases the animating "chemical" into the air, which sinks into the ground... well you get the gist.

4 minutes ago, hammerheathen said:

I vote we don't have the ridiculous "return of the living dead" zombies. We're just screwed if that happens. They are smart, and require complete obliteration to be destroyed, burning them releases the animating "chemical" into the air, which sinks into the ground... well you get the gist.

Oh great. Add another tick to never making it out alive with polluted underground water.

Maybe I should blow my brains out when a zombie apocalypse comes around. Then again, Alaska!

Edit: Read that back a bit hostile. Didn't mean it that way.

Edited by OverlordMcGeek
sowy

31 minutes ago, hammerheathen said:

I'm also one of those people, but because of my declining health, the feasibility of much of it fails.

Fun to think about though. An apocalyptic scenario would never happen, but a pervasive and problematic event is actually fairly likely. Worst case scenario it would become a lingering problem

Have you seen Fido?  I think that's what society would try do become.

10 hours ago, hammerheathen said:

I suppose it's also fair to keep in mind that most of our destructive weapons aren't designed to target the head. It's reasonable that it will take a few skirmishes before the military directly figures that out (if zombies showed up, people wouldn't immediate accept it), then after that we have the chain of communication required to distribute that information.

If the information is disseminated quickly, an apocalyptic scenario would never happen. Unless they were like the zombies in World War Z (movie, not the book).

9 hours ago, Noamuth said:

Actually, are we discussing a zombie outbreak in our universe, or one where zombie movies never happened?

If we had one in our universe, we would never have an issue on such a large scale -  So many people know about aiming for the head already.

8 hours ago, Noamuth said:

5 hours ago, Noamuth said:

Alright, if we're talking realistically here you wouldn't have to destroy the brain. Realistically, zombies would probably have to be either a virus, a fungus, or an extremely advanced parasite. This means that a zombie effectively is a human in regards to its vulnerabilities. Almost every organ present in the torso, neck or head is vitally important for a human to survive. If any one of them is damaged significantly, the zombie dies. If you live in an area with extreme weather, such as 100+ degree summers or -10 degree winters, the zombie dies. If the zombie doesn't drink water, the zombie dies. If the zombie cannot kill, consume and digest enough food, the zombie dies. If the zombie gets a cut on its leg and loses too much blood, the zombie dies.

If we're throwing realism out the window and using the immortal witchcraft zombies that can survive a tank shell to the torso but a kryptonite machete to the dome takes them out, then we'd have a problem. But otherwise, zombies are piss-easy to kill and with none of the moral restrictions that shooting your neighbor in the throat would normally have.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, hammerheathen said:

While napalm would work over time. A big concern is collateral damage. Many of our explosives that don't cause (comparitively) much collateral damage will leave fairly large (enough to be dangerous) portions of the body intact.

18 hours ago, fishworshipper said:

Alright, if we're talking realistically here you wouldn't have to destroy the brain. Realistically, zombies would probably have to be either a virus, a fungus, or an extremely advanced parasite. This means that a zombie effectively is a human in regards to its vulnerabilities. Almost every organ present in the torso, neck or head is vitally important for a human to survive. If any one of them is damaged significantly, the zombie dies. If you live in an area with extreme weather, such as 100+ degree summers or -10 degree winters, the zombie dies. If the zombie doesn't drink water, the zombie dies. If the zombie cannot kill, consume and digest enough food, the zombie dies. If the zombie gets a cut on its leg and loses too much blood, the zombie dies.

If we're throwing realism out the window and using the immortal witchcraft zombies that can survive a tank shell to the torso but a kryptonite machete to the dome takes them out, then we'd have a problem. But otherwise, zombies are piss-easy to kill and with none of the moral restrictions that shooting your neighbor in the throat would normally have.

Realistically, if any infectious agent gets loose enough to cause that sort of pandemic the defined responce plan calls for a Fuel Air Explosive. If that fails Low Yield Nuclear.
So, unless you happen to be running away really fast. You don't have to worry about survival.  [Which is the point]

of course if it seeps into the ground we still have the problem, but we're americans we'll do what we do best.  WEAPONIZE IT and then export it to the middle east.  Eventually we'll figure out a cure. Probably right after we ran out of uses for  all that cheap oil.

1 hour ago, Meliq said:

Realistically, if any infectious agent gets loose enough to cause that sort of pandemic the defined responce plan calls for a Fuel Air Explosive. If that fails Low Yield Nuclear.
So, unless you happen to be running away really fast. You don't have to worry about survival.  [Which is the point]

of course if it seeps into the ground we still have the problem, but we're americans we'll do what we do best.  WEAPONIZE IT and then export it to the middle east.  Eventually we'll figure out a cure. Probably right after we ran out of uses for  all that cheap oil.

I like you.

On 8/24/2016 at 8:44 PM, RetiredEdgeLord said:

If zombies were realistic, it would be nearly impossible to kill a horde yourself. They'll be running at you [in full usane bolt speed], and you'll have to destroy their brains, multiplied by dozens, hundreds, thousands. Yup.

Consider this, as long as you survive somehow for a year or so, most of the zombies will start decomposing, ruining most of the muscles that control movement, and am pretty dam sure flies will start laying maggot eggs in the eyes taking away eyesight too. As long as the human population doesn't add another thousand fresh infected. The zombie infection will kill itself out, just like the black plague. 

As for the first OP, won't we slowly start building up a immunity or atleast a tolerance to the smell to not kill us? Cause that will take awhile for that type of scent to build up. 

28 minutes ago, TrashSpider said:

Consider this, as long as you survive somehow for a year or so, most of the zombies will start decomposing, ruining most of the muscles that control movement, and am pretty dam sure flies will start laying maggot eggs in the eyes taking away eyesight too. As long as the human population doesn't add another thousand fresh infected. The zombie infection will kill itself out, just like the black plague. 

As for the first OP, won't we slowly start building up a immunity or atleast a tolerance to the smell to not kill us? Cause that will take awhile for that type of scent to build up. 

The problem is surviving a year within a country infested with zombies.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, hammerheathen said:

I suppose it's also fair to keep in mind that most of our destructive weapons aren't designed to target the head. It's reasonable that it will take a few skirmishes before the military directly figures that out (if zombies showed up, people wouldn't immediate accept it), then after that we have the chain of communication required to distribute that information.

If the information is disseminated quickly, an apocalyptic scenario would never happen. Unless they were like the zombies in World War Z (movie, not the book).

we could round up all the zombies and shoot them off into space. They can't get back to earth without burning up and they would protect us from Aliens!

5 hours ago, Meliq said:

we could round up all the zombies and shoot them off into space. They can't get back to earth without burning up and they would protect us from Aliens!

The picture of aliens flying past our world with a belt of zombies just hovering there might give off the impression that we are a tribal planet.

5 hours ago, Meliq said:

well they certainly would burn up on re-entry, and exit most likely. How very cartoonish of you. It's a fun idea

27 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

The picture of aliens flying past our world with a belt of zombies just hovering there might give off the impression that we are a tribal planet.

Ahh yes, but a tribal planet with SPAYSE TECHNOLOGI