The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Weapon Suggestion: Mace & Shield

Damarcus

The idea of it came floating around when I was reading the Region Chat ingame, someone said "they should make a sword and shield".  The comment caught my attention, so I started lurking around the forums, but the ideas for sword and shield were a bit to over the top.  I wanted something simple that would be easy to make possible, a small buckler that wouldn't take away the "ninja" feel of wearing a shield, and a short sword.  I thought about it, we have TOO MANY SWORDS, that mostly just fall off after a few, plus we don't have many blunt weapons in the "long melee" category. So why not make a Mace?

Mace & Shield:

- Mastery Lvl: 1
- Type: Long Melee Weapon

- Damage: Ignores Armor

- Base Damage: 30
- Base Firing Rate: 1.0
- Accuracy: 100
- Charge Damage: 100
- Charge Speed: 1.0s
- Critical Chance: 5.0%

- Critical Damage: 150%
- Stagger Chance: 50%
- Polarities: None

Details on shield's mechanic:

The mace would act like any regular weapon, the big deal about this weapon would be the shield.  The shield add a small bracelet/arm guard, or any sort of device, on the Warframe's left arm (Just to give a hint that there is a shield there, nothing grand).  While holding the Block button, the player will create a shield himself, much like the Sanctuary mod, that can protect him and his allies, until their stamina is depleted or their shield broken.  The shield would have a capacity of 300 energy, and would have to recover it's energy from attacks, the shield would recover like 50 or 100 per second, so it would take 3 or 6 seconds for a broken shield to fully recover. This is to avoid people refreshing the block button to have instant 300 shields all the time.  The shield would indicate it's remaining health by it's color, 300 strong blue color, 299 to 200 is a lighter blue, 199 to 100 is yellow, 99 to 1 would be red.

I'm not really attached to the look of the weapon, I'll just be describing what i envisioned:

- The Mace would be about the same size as one of the Dual Zoren, with a spiked ball in the end. (Yeah, I know that's a morning star, but i really like that design.)

- The shield could be two of many things:
1) A small round buckler on the left arm. (This one is my main choice, small, simple, and elegant)
2) A small arm guard, bracelet, or any sort of device, that would materialize a small shield when blocking. (This one I'm not really into, since it would be a devices materializing a shield that materializes a shield. Shieldception!) 

Well, that's about it, thanks for reading.

Edit:
The highlight of it all would be the shield aspect, the weapon could be whatever deemed suited for the overall feel of the game,  since the combination of a Mace and a Shield might seem a bit overwhelming 

Edited by Damarcus

Yeah, that's the iffy part about it.  I don't know how coding something like that would be like, but hopefully it could be as simple as tweaking the effects of the sanctuary mod into a weapon's block animation.  Alas, things are easier said than done.

Tbh, this game is about ninja, not knights, so a mace and shield wouldn't really fit in with the theme of the game

We have Hammers, Axes, Boomerangs, Bazookas, Cleavers that look like Butcher knives, and a Machete (which is used for agricultural purposes).  If we get stuck in the "that doesn't look ninja-ish" we would have to scrap just about anything that makes noise, and doesn't come from Japan.  I believe this game could have any type of weapon, as long as it's stylized accordingly.

We have Hammers, Axes, Boomerangs, Bazookas, Cleavers that look like Butcher knives, and a Machete (which is used for agricultural purposes).  If we get stuck in the "that doesn't look ninja-ish" we would have to scrap just about anything that makes noise, and doesn't come from Japan.  I believe this game could have any type of weapon, as long as it's stylized accordingly.

just because we already have a few weapons that dont fit the ninja theme doesnt mean we have to overdo it....

But on the other side, why not. I just dont like maces. They are so.... unrefined....

Edited by Venarge

Neither do Scindos, they're large axes so...

They sort of do... If you stretch the imagination a little lol... Ninjas were originally farmers and villagers who used whatever means necessary to fight. I'm sure farmers and villagers had heavy axes to cut down trees and what not. So to say they then used those axes as a means to fight isn't TOO far fetched.

However said farmers and villagers probably didnt have a spare mace and shield laying around.

Tbh, this game is about ninja, not knights, so a mace and shield wouldn't really fit in with the theme of the game

Neither does my bright pink Rhino.

Or my automatic shotgun.

Or my dual Broncos.

Or my Fragor.

Point is, we threw out the "ninja" RESTRICTION a long time ago. Keeping to a pure ninja theme will do nothing but hold the game back.

As for a mace/shield weapon, I'm all for both. But putting them together might feel weird. I'll stick with the shield suggestion I'm involved in (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/67980-sword-and-shield/), an toss in a good 'ol skull clubber later.

mace + shield not ninja enough  ninja dont use shield instead suggesting this weapon there still tons of  martial art/ ninja  weapon type not here yet :

kusari gama: pure ninja weapon 

blade nunchacku : martial art + cut slash fit ninja style

tonfa : martial art  but still fit ninja style 

halberd : part of ninja style 

claws : ninja style

mace + shield not ninja enough  ninja dont use shield instead suggesting this weapon there still tons of  martial art/ ninja  weapon type not here yet :

kusari gama: pure ninja weapon 

blade nunchacku : martial art + cut slash fit ninja style

tonfa : martial art  but still fit ninja style 

halberd : part of ninja style 

claws : ninja style

Other than the Kusarigama, aka Weight and Sickle (wanted to suggest this one at half way writing this thread), none of the other suggestions bring anything really different to what we have already. Some Beam Claws would be cool to have, but they'll mostly end up like the two forgotten fist weapons we have. I'd like to see a weapon that brings a new dimension to the game, makes use things we didn't even know we had.

shield that makes players use the block mechanic, or a throw weapon that changes it's arc if you change you line of sight (pressing the H key. *hint if you guys ever do the kusarigama). Things like that are what I'm interested in seeing, not just a reskin of some other weapon just to please the ninja fans.

shield that makes players use the block mechanic,

Shields.... How much I hate those things. With a shield, you are already slower. And what do you need a physical shield for? To protect your actual energy shield? This is ridiculous and a degenration when it comes to technological usage....

Besides that. Hiding behind a shield would simply take away the fast paced gameplay aspect...

Edited by Venarge

The problem is, there isn't one definitive type of 'mace' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_%28club%29 any more than there is a definitive type of 'sword'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword

Another blunt weapon? I can see that. Maybe a flail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_%28weapon%29

But a hand held shield? I don't see that working. Not for such a fast paced game play. As I see it, its not about TAKING damage, its about DOING damage.