Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tonkor build advice?

(XBOX)RawrImaKittyxD

Question

15 answers to this question

Argon scope was never really needed. The only real key mods you need are split chamber, serration, heavy caliber, vital sense, point strike, and I find hammer shot adding extra crit dmg and status chance helps. Plus 2 elemental 90+ dmg mods add well to the mix. If you do 4 madurai 1 vazarin and 1 naramon you can basically do any combo of elemental mods. Viral, Corrosive, Blast, Magnetic, Gas. Up to you. It works well for me I find. Alternatively you could use a dual stat plus the same elemental mod as it for a singular elemental type like Toxin if you really wished to to bypass corpus shields.

11 minutes ago, (XB1)Alpherxium said:

So um... I have 6 forma on my tonkor, all the right mods but I don't know what to slap on there anymore. Apparently the tonkor was recently nerfed and auto-headshots don't happen anymore so should I not put on Argon Scope?

Any advice/pictures appreicated! :D

I modded mine for Status and damage... Serration, Split Chamber, all four Element/Status mods, Bore and I forgot the last. End result is downright nasty against everything. I usually use a Blast/Radiation/Viral mix (possible because of its' base damage types), but Blast/Gas/Magnetic works, as does Blast/Corrosive... in every mix of elements, the Tonkor works great, no matter the targets. Beyond that, I treat it like a shotgun since I can't aim grenades worth a squat.

3 minutes ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

I modded mine for Status and damage... Serration, Split Chamber, all four Element/Status mods, Bore and I forgot the last. End result is downright nasty against everything. I usually use a Blast/Radiation/Viral mix (possible because of its' base damage types), but Blast/Gas/Magnetic works, as does Blast/Corrosive... in every mix of elements, the Tonkor works great, no matter the targets. Beyond that, I treat it like a shotgun since I can't aim grenades worth a squat.

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG xD, 3 big mods + 2x crits + 3 element or 2 element and hammershoot as someone said only option

Edited by -----nAGET-----

Fire Storm is a highly under used mod for Tonkor.

For any damage per shot weapon like Tonkor you should consider a mod that increases the number of targets hit as the result is a conditional multiplier of your damage.

The same situation exists in melee weapons with Primed Reach and Shotguns with Punch-Through.

Think of it this way,. Damage Output =  Damage  x Targets Hit.

1 hour ago, -----nAGET----- said:

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG xD, 3 big mods + 2x crits + 3 element or 2 element and hammershoot as someone said only option

Uh huh... I prefer a modset that doesn't rely on headshots, as I'm not exactly Major Deadeye... there's a reason my most-used weapons are automatics, explosives and shotguns, after all.

I prefer the bladed rounds over hammer shot myself since.

But my most Key mod is Hush. I pop that puppy on my Ivara and go to Grineer Exterminates. I love just watching them all explode while the rest stand there like nothing has happened.

30 minutes ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Uh huh... I prefer a modset that doesn't rely on headshots, as I'm not exactly Major Deadeye... there's a reason my most-used weapons are automatics, explosives and shotguns, after all.

1 hour ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Bladed rounds will treat you much better, and doesn't require headshots.

Leave out hammer shot and heavy cal. Use two elementals, firestorm, point strike, vital sense, and bladed rounds. Or substitute a faction mod for bladed rounds (or firestorm). Use Hush instead of firestorm for stealth missions, or stealth xp farming. Three elementals will get you into diminishing returns territory, whereas bladed is a multiplicative bonus rather than additive, so bladed will give you a much bigger dps increase. The lack of heavy cal makes it easier to aim, and bladed rounds means no headshots required.

1 hour ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Leave out hammer shot and heavy cal. Use two elementals, firestorm, point strike, vital sense, and bladed rounds. Or substitute a faction mod for bladed rounds (or firestorm). Use Hush instead of firestorm for stealth missions, or stealth xp farming. Three elementals will get you into diminishing returns territory, whereas bladed is a multiplicative bonus rather than additive, so bladed will give you a much bigger dps increase. The lack of heavy cal makes it easier to aim, and bladed rounds means no headshots required.

Serration, Split Chamber, the four element/status mods, Bore, and I forgot what my last is. I'm not in-game so I can't check. The end result does exactly what I need it to, make anything I aim it at dead, and does it very well.

I'm not into Conclave, I don't generally have much plat to work with, and if I want a crit-build, I'll use one of my bows.

Edited by NinjaKitsune56

14 minutes ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

I'm not into Conclave, I don't generally have much plat to work with, and if I want a crit-build, I'll use one of my bows.

Conclave? Huh? When did we start talking about conclave?

Look, the tonkor is a crit weapon. It has amazing critical stats. A high crit chance AND very high mulitplier is insane on a weapon with so much AoE and base damage. If you don't at least use point strike and vital sense, you are missing out on dps. While I love status and status weapons, the tonkor is frankly a very poor status weapon unless you are using your status to do damage (e.g. gas damage). In that case, DoT's from status procs benefit from critical damage, so you're still missing out on dps. If your plan is to strip armor using the tonkor, you aren't going to have much success, and any other status effect won't need all four dual stats.

If you haven't noticed the difference in dps, it's because of one reason: the tonkor is so stupidly op that you can mess up your build and still one-shot enemies. But if you're trying to kill a high-level bombard with it, using all four dual-stats will nerf your build considerably.

I'll agree with what's been said already. Serration, Split Chamber, Vital Sense and Point Strike are the four essential mods to have. After that, it's personal preference. I use Heavy Cal, (Bladed or Hammer, depending on if I feel like pulling the left trigger regularly) and an elemental pure combo.

3 hours ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Conclave? Huh? When did we start talking about conclave?

Look, the tonkor is a crit weapon. It has amazing critical stats. A high crit chance AND very high mulitplier is insane on a weapon with so much AoE and base damage. If you don't at least use point strike and vital sense, you are missing out on dps. While I love status and status weapons, the tonkor is frankly a very poor status weapon unless you are using your status to do damage (e.g. gas damage). In that case, DoT's from status procs benefit from critical damage, so you're still missing out on dps. If your plan is to strip armor using the tonkor, you aren't going to have much success, and any other status effect won't need all four dual stats.

If you haven't noticed the difference in dps, it's because of one reason: the tonkor is so stupidly op that you can mess up your build and still one-shot enemies. But if you're trying to kill a high-level bombard with it, using all four dual-stats will nerf your build considerably.

Ah, allow me to correct that... I don't have Bladed Rounds, nor the plat to buy it from anyone willing to sell.

I thought it was a Conclave mod at first.

Lastly, I used Tonkor with a Corrosive/Blast payload once. After that, I traded back to my normal Radiation/Viral mix on it. 

34 minutes ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Lastly, I used Tonkor with a Corrosive/Blast payload once. After that, I traded back to my normal Radiation/Viral mix on it. 

Right, I'm just saying that replacing those viral mods with crit mods will benefit you greatly. Armored grineer don't take much damage from viral, anyway (that's a misconception that comes from people not understanding how armor works). But even 4 elementals doing only radiation would be much worse than two elementals and crit mods.

34 minutes ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Ah, allow me to correct that... I don't have Bladed Rounds, nor the plat to buy it from anyone willing to sell.

I thought it was a Conclave mod at first.

Ah, okay. In that case use a faction mod such as Bane of Grineer instead. Faction mods are powerful and underrated, and perform better than elemental mods when there are already several elementals on a build. Or you could use a heat dual-stat or something else that works with your element, just don't leave out those crit mods!

Also, Bladed rounds can be had for 30-40 plat on warframe.market, so it's not as expensive as argon scope. You don't need it, but it's really nice. Just fyi.

Edited by Lord_Azrael