The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fissure Excavation: Either Broken, or Intentionally Gimped

BlackCoMerc

One of Rebecca's biggest complaints early on regarding Fissures, was that we were basically prevented from earning things in the missions where we used our Relics. So...Relic Survival and Excavation were returned to their Endless formats. No more ten minute or Cryotic only limitations.

Except...Excavation was never fixed. And its been broken so long, I dont think its broken. I think DE is intentionally preventing us from obtaining relics in Fissure Excavation missions. After the second Excavator...good luck ever seeing another Power Carrier for the remainder of the mission. They simply stop spawning. Period. 

Now everyone knows how ridiculous the power carrier mechanic is to begin with. How there is no legit reason why Lotus does not just drop a fully powered Excavator for us to defend. The entire mission premise is...well, there's no kind way to say this. And I dont mean to be insulting. But its frankly...sort of stupid. The ONLY THING the enemy has to do in order to prevent our success is...NOT send the power carriers out.

So can we please either fix the Fissure version of the mission...or better yet, fix the mission itself, by having Lotus just drop fully powered Excavators? If you're worried that this will make it too similar to Mobile Defense...TOO LATE. Its ALREADY too similar to MD. And you want to believe me here: Adding in the need to pick up items by activating them...does not make the whole thing more enjoyable, or otherwise improve on the formula. Trust me, it doesnt. 

So please fix these rather nonsensical missions...

Agreed.

I have no idea why they even nerfed starting power from 60% to 20%. This was obviously intended for 4 tenno cells/teams and not for solo players. Coupled with S#&$ty power carrier spawns, it becomes problematic.

I also have no idea why they had to split excavators far from each other. Sure some maps had some problems with this (overlapping excavator circles pre-nerf), but they could have just fixed the placements.

Edit: Pre-nerf, excavation was a fun game mode TBH. Everything was fair (except the non-scaling excavators). Carriers spawned a bit too much before though. Now, it's kinda a shadow of its former self.

Edited by p3z1
Blast from the past

Just now, Irorone said:

Hate to tell you it's not the only mode that on a logistic level makes no sense.

Explain why they would turn off the oxygen on a ship only to send people with oxygen packs in?

Most of the missions in any game suffer from that problem - Warframe is no different than that. Also, for example, we've got doors we cannot trepass in any way (red ones), why exactly the enemy is not locking us into places and forgetting about our existance? Game mechanics>logic sometimes.

That said, i do agree that fissure excavations are frigging painful and need some kind of fixing. I once decided to go for a full rotation and chrono it, took me almost 22 minutes to do 4 excavators. Like, wth.

5 minutes ago, p3z1 said:

Agreed.

I have no idea why they even nerfed starting power from 60% to 20%. This was obviously intended for 4 tenno cells/teams and not for solo players. Coupled with S#&$ty power carrier spawns, it becomes problematic.

I also have no idea why they had to split excavators far from each other. Sure some maps had some problems with this (overlapping excavator circles pre-nerf), but they could have just fixed the placements.

Edit: Pre-nerf, excavation was a fun game mode TBH. Everything was fair (except the non-scaling excavators). Carriers spawned a bit too much before though. Now, it's kinda a shadow of its former self.

Yeah I remember when it reminded me of thumping from Firefall. 

Now...well...how in the world do you make something less fun than it was in Firefall? I Mean...that takes work.

4 minutes ago, Irorone said:

Hate to tell you it's not the only mode that on a logistic level makes no sense.

Explain why they would turn off the oxygen on a ship only to send people with oxygen packs in?

I agree completely. Somewhere on this forum is a large thread (not mine) about making missions make sense. I think DE basically needs to implement everything listed in that thread, like...yesterday. It included no more Life Support or Power Carriers. Neither mechanic makes any sense. Especially in light of our frames being able to survive in open space with the addition of no more than a harness and wings. Its...well, its ridiculous. I hate to use that word; it sounds insulting and I dont want to be. But really...its just the observable truth, really.

and to add insult to injury, when the power cells do spawn and the ground is covered in them...what do we do? you got it! we overcharge the freaking excavator for absolutely no reason (it has full shields and no enemies attacked, I'll stop you right there) 

also, imo the most fun part about excavation is the power cells, I mean if we had to defend a fully charged one, it'll be a mini-mobile defense mission

9 minutes ago, Kenshin98 said:

and to add insult to injury, when the power cells do spawn and the ground is covered in them...what do we do? you got it! we overcharge the freaking excavator for absolutely no reason (it has full shields and no enemies attacked, I'll stop you right there) 

also, imo the most fun part about excavation is the power cells, I mean if we had to defend a fully charged one, it'll be a mini-mobile defense mission

Its already the same mission as Mobile Defense. Which is why they added the need to pick up power cells. Which, to me, frankly detracts from the experience of mobile defense, to be honest. Just...for once...let us play the game. No dragging along an object that removes our ability to use a weapon. No constantly needing to chase down O2 drops. No need to run around clumsily activating pickups on the ground and hauling them back to our mobile defense...err, Excavator...objective. 

Just. Let. Us. Play.

If there is one thing Destiny does FAR BETTER than Warframe, is the Patrol mission. Its an endless mission on a large, open world style planetary map. And you just...play. You pick up objectives as you go. Complete one; get another. Explore. Move around. Complete jobs. Its really the best part of the game, to me.

Warframe REALLY, DESPERATELY needs to divorce itself from this obsession it has with running us out of missions in a full retreat. Its getting really old and tired and its one of the biggest reasons I find myself just playing other games.

4 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Its already the same mission as Mobile Defense. Which is why they added the need to pick up power cells. Which, to me, frankly detracts from the experience of mobile defense, to be honest. Just...for once...let us play the game. No dragging along an object that removes our ability to use a weapon. No constantly needing to chase down O2 drops. No need to run around clumsily activating pickups on the ground and hauling them back to our mobile defense...err, Excavator...objective. 

Just. Let. Us. Play.

If there is one thing Destiny does FAR BETTER than Warframe, is the Patrol mission. Its an endless mission on a large, open world style planetary map. And you just...play. You pick up objectives as you go. Complete one; get another. Explore. Move around. Complete jobs. Its really the best part of the game, to me.

Warframe REALLY, DESPERATELY needs to divorce itself from this obsession it has with running us out of missions in a full retreat. Its getting really old and tired and its one of the biggest reasons I find myself just playing other games.

imo, I think this has to do that, in the lore logic, we aren't 'the masters of our own selves', I mean the lotus is the one doing and assigning the missions for us, everything we do has to has a purpose, we can't just say "hmm, I feel like slaughtering some grineer today, I'll just go to a ship and start killing for absolutely no reason" 

basically, we can't do what we want lore-wise 

The only time excavation power cells are an issue is either when I'm solo (which just means they need to stick more power carriers into the spawns), or when I'm on the Europa tile set. No matter where else I am I have never had any issues with the power cells, fissure mission or not.

As for your strategical problem with why they even send power carriers in to fight us? It's called a video game. They have to give us some way to engage ourselves in the gameplay. They chose that way. If it were entirely logical, the Lotus wouldn't wait to send life support pods, nor would she send underpowered drills. Or do you also want to get into the discussion of why she needs us to do much of anything when she can, clearly, teleport physical objects into any area she wants to. Come to think of it so can Darvo...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludonarrative

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:17 AM, BlackCoMerc said:

Yeah I remember when it reminded me of thumping from Firefall. 

Now...well...how in the world do you make something less fun than it was in Firefall? I Mean...that takes work.

I agree completely. Somewhere on this forum is a large thread (not mine) about making missions make sense. I think DE basically needs to implement everything listed in that thread, like...yesterday. It included no more Life Support or Power Carriers. Neither mechanic makes any sense. Especially in light of our frames being able to survive in open space with the addition of no more than a harness and wings. Its...well, its ridiculous. I hate to use that word; it sounds insulting and I dont want to be. But really...its just the observable truth, really.

Maybe the archwing is also a respirator and that's why its so bulky. Since there's no atmosphere in space, wings wouldn't assist at all in flight, maybe they're oxygen tanks that pump oxygen directly in to the frame.