Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt: Does he scale to late game?

(PSN)NewAgeDoom

Question

13 answers to this question

The fact that his ult stuns enemies even if it does little damage is quite useful. Plus if you have his augment mod. It restores shields to your whole team. His guns receive a buff when during through his electric shields and his speed buff also speeds up his melee. I'm tired of seeing people play missions and say "we NEED a frost" or something like that. I think skill is what's most important. If you know you can kick &#! and you want to pick the frame that seems fun at the time. Go for it. Volt is very good IMO. Been playing 2 years and I still wreck with him.

Edited by (XB1)FISTO ROBOT0

1 minute ago, (XB1)FISTO ROBOT0 said:

The fact that his ult stuns enemies even if it does little damage is quite useful. Plus if you have his augment mod. It restores shields to your whole team. His guns receive a buff when during through his electric shields and his speed buff also speeds up his melee. I'm tired of seeing people play missions and say "we NEED a frost" or something like that. I think skill is what's most important. If you know you can kick &#! and you want to pick the frame that seems fun at the time. Go for it. Colt is very good IMO. Been playing 2 years and I still wreck with him.

i hear you

doing sortie defenses with 4 mesas is frikking awesome :P

screw protection when we have aimbot guns of glory

2 minutes ago, (XB1)FISTO ROBOT0 said:

The fact that his ult stuns enemies even if it does little damage is quite useful. Plus if you have his augment mod. It restores shields to your whole team. His guns receive a buff when during through his electric shields and his speed buff also speeds up his melee. I'm tired of seeing people play missions and say "we NEED a frost" or something like that. I think skill is what's most important. If you know you can kick &#! and you want to pick the frame that seems fun at the time. Go for it. Volt is very good IMO. Been playing 2 years and I still wreck with him.

To play Devil's advocate a bit, when it comes to certain missions, like defenses against Grineer/Corpus, Frost IS IMMENSELY handy.

Just now, (XB1)FISTO ROBOT0 said:

Right! I'm not saying he isn't. Just when I'm a MR 17 and people are like "you need to switch to ember" I'm like "pfff trust me, I got this."

Well if you went to recruiting and someone asked for a specific frame, you can't blame them.

But if you are hosting then yeah, I don't think anyone should tell you what to do.

As for OP: He does scale into late game. I suggest you get Volt Prime. The immense energy levels is nice to have.

2 minutes ago, secret9005 said:

Well if you went to recruiting and someone asked for a specific frame, you can't blame them.

But if you are hosting then yeah, I don't think anyone should tell you what to do.

As for OP: He does scale into late game. I suggest you get Volt Prime. The immense energy levels is nice to have.

Volt Prime was the first Primed frame I ever got ^.^

He's *currently" my favorite Warframe in the game. I'm the next Mogamu over here.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)NewAgeDoom said:

Volt Prime was the first Primed frame I ever got ^.^

He's *currently" my favorite Warframe in the game. I'm the next Mogamu over here.

As you can see, I'm a Loki lover. *LOKI MASTER RACE INTENSIFIES*

Anyways, you can build Volt for Duration and Range (of course with Efficiency) for CC. Like another player said, his augment for 4 is good too.

Or you can go for Duration and Strength for Speed/Shield. Speed works best if you have heavy hitting melees and Naramon. Get a Galatine Prime and watch yourself do insane damage at insane speeds.

Imo you can pretty much make anything work for late game as the difficulty level scales higher.
The difference is often how well the team works together and how effective you are against the particular faction or for the mission parameters.

People saying volt is not good for late game are the kind of people who would prefer easier game play. When I do anything at higher levels I play with random people a lot and I never complain about what people bring to the table. The only time it matters is if there is a particular mission parameter where I know the possibility is there to fail.
For example a radiation hazard sortie mission where you're defending the operator and people bring frames and weapons that can AOE or kill teammates (including the operator you're supposed to protect). In that case I will complain because those players have complete disregard for the team/mission or just simply don't understand what radiation does. There are also other parameters where killing something like Vay Hek in a sortie assassination requires certain weapons/frames to make it easier or quicker. Otherwise you're spending 30+ minutes trying to take it down.

tldr version - don't listen to the nay sayers, if you like volt, build it, experiment with it, play with it, do what you prefer.

I main Volt and I can tell you that he does.

• His Shock's proc effectiveness does not care about the enemy's level and will always be effective.
  • Electric Shield is always effective as it relies on duration, not health.
  • His ult... although risky... can lock down a room for a bit.

The biggest things you have to realize is that Volt is squishy and gets most of his passive defense from shields not armor. So you have rely on E.shield and proper placement (not putting your back to an enemy spawn) more and more as the enemies' levels increase. Thankfully, he has a good energy pool and can keep up energy intensive gameplay, especially with energy siphon.

Volt Prime is another deal entirely. He has 100 armor which cuts received health damage in half and an energy pool large enough to last New York City for a month when modded with Flow (3 month with Primed Flow).

Edit: If you want a late-game Volt then mod for power duration and efficiency because it will boost your Electric Shield game and lower the Riot shield's energy drain. Have a sprinkle of power strength (so that Speed give you more than a slightly faster running). Finally, range isn't sooo important, the default range is enough. This is what I build and it works fine with me.

Edit 2: I see many have been mentioning Naramon, so I'll throw my hat in that ring. I go Zenurik with Volt because: I like energy, Zenurik's main passive (i forgot the name) leaves me with more than enough energy to fuel intensive E. shield usage and general power usage, rebuilds my pool quickly if I get hit by a magnetic proc, I like being able to use electricity soooo liberally that Zeus stares at me with envy, and I like energy.

Edited by Insizer

6 hours ago, (PS4)NewAgeDoom said:

I've been a Volt player for quite some time (not that i'm an expert player by ANY stretch, but I've still played for a while), but all I hear is how he doesn't scale into late game (T4's, essentially outside of things like Capture, where Speed buff is vital).

Has anyone been able to refute this?

It always depends what you want to cal "late game". However I can tell you he's good till at least lvl 1,725 since that's as far as I've bothered to go.

Outside the basics of his abilities Volt happens to be one of the top choices for a 4th member in a meta party.

By meta party I mean complete Min\Max to the point most players in the group are so specialized they use one or two abilities and each has a specific role in that group.

For Endless missions our general Meta group is a Sonar Banshee, Slow Nova (With varying Duration), Loki/Nyx/Vaban and a 4th.

The general meta group setup is, Buff Frame + Buff Frame + Buff Frame + CC, Banshee is a no brainer for damage buffs, Nova is both Buff and CC and some examples of a 4th would be Frost, Rhino, Volt, Ember, Saryn, Equinox. Each one has a the ability to buff damage to varying degree and some have other perks like Volt can Bunker with his shields which is very helpful against Nullifiers since the CC frame might not have options to hold them.

I'm only mentioning all this because Volt happens to be the 4th or 5th best damage buff frame in the game after Banshee, Ember and Nova.

Here's some math to support my claims using Soma Prime:

Spoiler

damage per second = [ physical damage per shot + elemental damage per shot ] * [ 1 + ( critical multiplier - 1 ) * critical chance / 100 ] * clipsize / [ reload time + ( clipsize - 1 ) / fire rate ]

Soma + Bladed: [ 98.04 + 176.472 ] * [ 1 + ( 10.2 -1 ) * [ 75 / 100 ] * 200 / 200 / [ 3 + (200 - 1) / 15 ]
274.512 * 7.9 * 12.295 = 26,663.67

Soma + Bladed + Shock [ 98.04 + 176.472 + (191.178)] * [ 1 + ( 10.2 -1 ) * [ 75 / 100 ] * 200 / 200 / [ 3 + (200 - 1) / 15 ]
465.69 * 7.9 * 12.295 = 45,232.703
(45232.703 - 26667.67) / 26667.67 = 0.696 = 70% Increase in DPS.

Soma + Bladed + Shock&Shield x1 [ 98.04 + 176.472 + (191.178 + 49.02)] * { [1 + ( 10.2 -1 ) * 2 ] * [ 75 / 100 } * 200 / 200 / [ 3 + (200 - 1) / 15 ]
514.71 * 14.8 * 12.295 = 93,659.72
(93659.72 - 26663.67) / 26667.67 = 2.512 = 251% increase in DPS

The result will vary depending on the crit value of the weapons your team is using as his shield is giving majority of his damage output. So anytime someone tells you Volt isn't viable "late game" you can say otherwise.

This is my Shock Trooper Build I use in the example, note that there's low Power Range as he's designed to allow someone else to CC, so he doesn't need Discharge, I use this for Sorties sometimes.

Shock Trooper:

bBKPgPi.jpg

General / Hybrid:

fM7OvCW.jpg

CC:

99UCi42.jpg

I don't really use his CC build.  So there might be some touch up work to be done with that one. At any rate volt has a lot of options available to him. Sometimes he's the best option and other times not so much. But he's quite viable in all scenarios.

Edited by Xzorn